the best greek island for 20-somethings

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there. We're group of 20 something students based in Paris and we'd like to take a few days/week in mid-May to relax on a Greek island. We're wondering where is the best location: a place with a beach, with good nightlife, not overly touristy, and with a hint of class if possible. Where's the best location? Which island/city/town should we be looking into? Hows the water mid-may?
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 05:55 AM

Well the first island that comes in my mind for you is Mykonos of course. But if you are looking for something out of the ordinary, I would also suggest Sifnos, which is a very classy island, or also Paros and Syros, which are islands that attract people in our age. As for the water in mid-May its is cold enough, I am not sure that you will be able to enjoy the beaches at that time of the year, but many people start their baths early, so its up to you wether you can take the cold or not!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Ios is the all-time Greek Party Island for 20-Somethings, but in May it will not be so busy as later on in the summer. For that reason I think Mykonos or Santorini would be a better choice because the tourist season begins earlier on these two islands.

(I have to disagree with KAT3R1NA about Paros. Although it's a lovely island, there is not so much of the youth-oriented nightlife there, and no youth-oriented hotels other than a campground.)

Swimming in May in the Aegean is possible if the wind isn't blowing, unless it's a particularly cold season.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:00 AM

And as Thanos says, there will be thousands of students for a big party mid-May in Mykonos.
G.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! What do you think is the best means of accomodation for a big group (5-7 people)?
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:21 AM

Decide what sort of accomodations and amenities you as a group require, such as kitchen facilities, ocean view, etc, then determine your maximum daily room budget per/person. Use the internet to research what's available on the islands you choose and book accordingly. Chances are you won't find something large enough for all of you, but there are numerous places with apartments large enough for up to 4 people comfortably, especially if they're couples.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:07 AM

For 20-somethings, there is probably no better island than Rhodes. The night life is AWESOME. During the day, there are some really great sights and beaches. If you're into the more natural experience, check out the island of Symi. Very much natural beauty.

If you go to Rhodes, check out the Old City... It's a one of the best preserved medieval fortresses in the world. Rhodes is both classy and fun. Give it shot, you will NOT be disappointed.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:59 PM

I hear that Ios is the party and sex capital of the Aegean....thoiugh when I was there in the early 1970's *grins* I stayed on a clean and pristine nude beach for a fortnight, and ate three meals a day at a secluded taverna...total cost for 2 weeks living on the beach in a small and sheltered cove? $40US!!!!
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM

...I hasten to add that I was in my mid 20's...and that cost was for two people...
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 08:56 AM

cnc2001 if you want 'class' then take Ios out of your list. It's a beautiful island but all the completely drunk people make it sooo tacky!
I have to disagree with Brotherleelove this time about Paros. I've spend several summers there and you can have lots of fun!! But not in May!
I would definitely choose Mykonos if i were you. Although i believe that the water will be really cold for swimming! ;-)
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 09:07 AM
rsn

I'm 25 now and travelled in Greece 2 summers ago, so I can try to offer you my opinion.

I spent 2 nights in Corfu and I stayed at the Pink Palace because I was meeting up with some friends who wanted to stay there. Some people LOVE it b/c it's all backpackers and 20 something travellers, but to be honest, I wasn't so into it. They have a club there with music, greek dancers, etc. If you are interested in staying somewhere like that for a few days, you could check it out. But, as I said, it def wasn't my favourite.

I LOVED santorini! It's a beautiful island - there's some nice beaches, and I also did a day trip on a boat to a volcano that's out at sea. We even took the donkeys up from the port - I know it's a little "touristy" but it was just hilarious - we had so much fun! There's also a few bars in Santorini that were really fun to go to. Definitely my favourite place in Greece, but that's just IMHO.

I spent a few days in Ios also and it was really nice also. Loved the beach loved where we stayed (in town, not on the beach - if you want I can get you the name later, but i'm blanking now). In terms of the nightlife, it wasn't really my thing but my friends really loved it. There are a bunch of bars all on the same street and you can go in and out of each of them, and they will give you free shots to get you to come to their bar. I felt pretty safe there so I wasn't hesitant about running around all over the place. It was fun, but it totally depends on what you like to do.

I'm sure whatever you decide will be great - Greece is wonderful!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:07 PM

cristine27...I suggest that a group of 20 or so students might actually like "tacky" *Laughs* and your disparing comments (although they are totally true) might be a "come-on" for them all!!!!