COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

the Balearic islands

Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

the Balearic islands

going for for 16-17 days in September. Interested in staying in Palma (Mallorca), Pollenca (Mallorca), Ciutadella (Menorca) and San Antonio (ibiza). Trying to get an idea of order (which I know will depend on ferry service). I'll fly into Palma and stay there 3 nights - tentatively, I thought maybe Ibiza (no interest in clubbing, just want to see the island), back to Mallorca and stay in Pollenca, then over to Menorca and finally one night back in Palma.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 11:37 PM

Ferry services between the islands run daily.
See www.balearia.com, www.trasmediterranea.es and (for Mallorca-Menorca) www.iscomar.com.
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 12:47 AM

The islands are in virtually a straight line from SW to NE, with Ibiza at the bottom and Mallorca in the middle.

If you're flying into Palma you can catch the ferry straight over to Ibiza. Then come back to Palma, up to Pollenca, (my favourite place to stay on the island) and then ferry from Alcudia over to Menorca. Finally back to Palma for the flight.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - just booked my ticket.

Thinking about Ibiza - Ibiza town or San Antoni. Been looking at hotels in San Antoni which seem to be somewhat bland/generic. Does Ibiza town have "more charm"? Any hotel recs fro Ibiza?

Lifeman - you think going directly to Ibiza upon arrival would be better than hanging in Palma for a few days - can i ask why?
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 12:01 AM

Because you're flying into the centre island, with Ibiza on one side and Menorca on the other, it seemed like a good idea to get them in a line and then hop from one to the next. You can of course fly between them,on small local flights.

In the final analysis, I don't suppose it matters much as you will have to island hop with flying back out of Palma.