Reload this Page >

The Art of Giving

Search

The Art of Giving

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 06:22 AM
Wilson

The Art of Giving

Reading the contents of this forum is very warming. <BR> <BR>As Americans we can feel truly proud of what we give to the rest of the world. Not only in the terms of political and economic guidance, but also in the example given by our travelers whilst in Europe, not least the significant contributions our tourist dollars make to their economies. <BR> <BR>There have been some negative coments directed towards Americans on these pages, but I am sure they only come from a great yearning to be somewhat more like us. <BR> <BR>Keep it up everybody!

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 06:45 AM
kay

Hmmm,methinks I sense a tongue in cheek attitude here, to put it gently. I don't believe I will take your message at full face value. Whatever.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 06:55 AM
k

Moreover, the email address doesn't work. I expect the writer was trying to be "amusing" with the W Wilson, as in Woodrow Wilson, get it? He who gave Europe leadership at the end of WWI, as in "political and economic guidance" referred to in the post. First "Mary Beth" aka the 41 year old gay from England, but is he really, and now this. Oh well, summer boredom/doldrums/heat, I suppose.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 07:07 AM
Jo

More like an American? Please don't let this person be serious! Nothing against Americans, but most people are fiercely patriotic and proud of the countries they come from. <BR>Definitely Mary-Beth in another guise. <BR>

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 07:09 AM
tom

Exactly when did we Americans start using the word "whilst"?

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 07:18 AM
martha python

Tom--whilst you were out.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 09:28 AM
elvira

We try to be good neighbours, add colour to our lives (whilst travelling throughout Europe), attend university and try not to go to hospital where the sisters must deal with us...and still we are maligned.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 10:47 AM
neil

<BR> <BR>"lovely!" <BR> <BR>That is one of the loveliest comment I heard in England this summer. <BR> <BR>Hey, I am American now. <BR> <BR>There are boorish Americans but so are other people around the world. I had this experience at the British Library store, where a woman shrieked with the loudest voice she could master [that startled me to turn towards the counter] because as it turned out, another woman (unknowingly) cut on her. [There were only two of them near the counter.] She did not sound "Brit" but I could not be certain either whether she is American. I would be the least interested to find out; she is the kind of person I would rather avoid -- whereever she is from). <BR> <BR>To criticize is not bad -- provided it is based on correct observations rather than viewed through "tinted glasses". Some criticisms are valid. One thing that is not is to make blanket generalizations about a people. <BR> <BR>Americans can indeed learn from people of other countries. And, so could they of us. That is the greatest gift that travelling provides -- you never learn truly about people of other societies and their culture until you are in their country. Interaction promotes understanding of different cultures. <BR> <BR>Wilson does not have to be MaryBeth. Let us not be too quick to conclusion. There are many MaryBeths, Wilsons, etc. in the world. <BR> <BR>But, if she/he is... oh God!!! What a life. <BR> <BR>neil

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 08:24 AM
Lucas

What is the matter with you people? <BR> <BR>One person stands up and speaks out for our country and its people, and look what happens! <BR> <BR>Everything he has said is the truth. Let's be proud of it rather than standing in denial.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 08:30 AM
notme

"WC.net"?? <BR> <BR>Oh, really?

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 05:00 PM
Peter

I think this forum is really turning to WC (european short for sh%t house). I guess some forgot a real reason for this forum and why people do come to this site - TRAVEL and TRAVEL advise. If you looking for chat or BS or to bash someone there are so many other places where you will be welcomed, and you find others with similar interests, ideas. So Please if you have nothing to say about Eoropean travel, don't waste every one's time and this server's space. Get a life - get out a bit - Travel! so you have something constructive to say that will assist others!

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 05:12 PM
Lani

Having a fake e-mail address doesn't mean that a person is not offering worthwhile opinions. Many people, like me, are really leery of giving out e-mail addresses with some of the weirdos out there. What offends me is when someone posts as several different people, as Catherine did recently, on the "Mary Beth" thread; I find that really dishonest and manipulative, and will disregard her opinions in the future on any issue. <BR> <BR>I'm not real sure about the person who started this thread - sounds a little bit like a wind-up for everybody to me!

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 05:14 PM
Kittie

Peter, <BR> <BR>O.k. I'll bite... <BR> <BR>Many times on travel forums Americans have been 'raked over the coals' for whatever reason. This gets a little tiring at times. All Americans are not 'boorish' or 'demanding'. <BR>This forum gives us a place where we can prove (or disprove?) this prejudice. <BR>Whoever Wilson is, he has a right to post his message. Have faith, the excellent Fodor's staff will delete any messages that they feel are not appropriate to any forum. <BR>You don't have to read or reply to any message on this forum. Just skip it if it doesn't appeal to you. It will eventually be a thing of the past. <BR>Kittie <BR>

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 06:09 PM
Peter

Kittie&gt; Yeah OK but lately this is getting out of control, I'm doing more skipping then reading... <BR>as for "excellent Fodor's staff will delete any messages that they feel are not appropriate to any forum". I really think they will not remove anything unless is obscene otherwise they risking someone crying censorship! It's sad to see 100s of posts with the goal of to just bash or make fun of someone. There so many places and travel education each of us went thru - and i think sharing this info was the intention of travel forums. So really do not back the idiots that out of boredom just pass gas on this forum. There are so many other chats - You looking for BS - go to those chats and enjoy it don't waste this server's spac