The Albert Kahn gardens in Boulogne

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Actually, gardening fanatics have probably already heard of this place, but most people haven't a clue about it. Albert Kahn was a banker, philanthropist and world traveler and he created a magnificent garden to represent different areas of the world. The 1929 stock crash wiped him out, his creditors got everything, and then the Nazis took everything they wanted as "Jewish spoils" -- and then the Soviet Union grabbed all of that stuff after the war.

What remained was the garden (that couldn't be taken, except by the French government) and also the largest collection of "autochromes" in the world (autochromes are color photographs from 100 years ago) -- 72,000 of them.

You can visit it for 3€ at the end of metro line 10. Here is the report that I made: http://tinyurl.com/9tyog9p
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We saw a bit of the garden a few years ago, while waiting to meet friends 'at the end of line 10' Didn't see too much, as there was major construction all around and we had to keep dodging machinery.

I had no idea what was in the museum, but the combination of garden and photography sounds too good to miss.
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 01:17 PM

I didn't know this garden existed, fascinating photos, thanks very much.
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been there.

That park is notorious for men exposing themselves to children.

When I was a lad visiting my grandparents, I would ride my bike all over the Bois de Boulogne.

My bike was brown and had a brown 'banana' seat with one of those stick shifters. I LOVED that bike.

Thin
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 02:29 PM

I visited this garden a few years ago and thought it absolutely wonderful. There was a very interesting exhibiton on around the garden as well.

I wrote about it in my trip report that I did at the time and recommended taking a picnic lunch to eat in the grounds on a lovely sunny day!! I still think that is a good idea!!

For any garden lovers it is a must. Thanks for letting people know about it Kerouac.

Schnauzer
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM

Kerpouac, merci for yet another glimpse into your Paris.
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 03:07 PM

My longtime best Parisian friend lived for awhile not too far away in Boulogne-Billancourt and took me there a couple of times. I remember the Japanese garden there as being spectacular. I also think I remember a small museum.
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 04:35 PM

Lovely, Kerouac! It makes me realize I will never live long enough to see all that is in Paris.

Sigh ------------
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
O O O

I found an old photo of me on my bike.

It was a 1971 Vista.

Yay. I love when I hunt for old photos then find them.

Thin
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 08:06 PM

Once again, a Kerouac photo essay, and a most delightful one at that. As a garden fanatic, yes, I had heard of it, but never could take the time to go to see. Now of course I want to more than ever!!!
Thanks for another education!
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

However, I must point out that picnics are forbidden in these gardens.
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 08:38 PM

With today's post about the rare stunning color photographs of turn of the century Paris (which came from the Albert Kahn collection), I'm wondering if anyone has been to the Albert Kahn museum lately. Are the color photos of Paris on exhibit? The museum website shows an exhibit on Mongolia which I think are shown in Kerouac's photo essay.

(BTW, Kerouac, thank you for those stunning photographs of the gardens!)

Here's the Fodors link from today that talks about the photos:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...arly-1900s.cfm

and here's the direct link to the color photos that come from the Albert Kahn collection
http://www.paris1914.com/

The museum website says they're currently running an exhibit on Mongolia, and I don't speak French well enough to understand whether the Paris photos are on also on exhibit permanently.

I'd love to see these Paris pictures in person in May. Anyone know?

-Skatterfly
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 12:54 PM

Topping one more time this weekend in hopes that Kerouac or someone else on the ground in Paris might know if those fabulous pictures of 1900's Paris are on permanent display at the Albert Khan museum.

Thanks!
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 01:36 PM

skatterfly,

I looked at the website in both French and English and it isn't too clear to me, either.

I think it's possible while at the museum to access the archive online (FAKIR). The permanent physical exhibit seems to be beautiful antique photographic equipment and some selected images.

I couldn't find information on temporary exhibits after the exhibit on Mongolia.

I would email them. Good luck, it looks wonderful.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

The website is not totally clear, but it does mention that parts of the collection are on display on a rotating basis without mentioning access to anything specific if it is not on display. It is also mentioned that they are gradually putting everything online, but obviously that will take quite a long time.

It's true that there are viewing stations inside the museum, but I don't know if it is just to see more of the current exhibit or if it allows access to other things.