Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The adventures of Morgan and me, Paris and Rome trip report!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:30 AM
pj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from a fabulous trip from Paris and Rome with my 12 year old son.<BR> My husband could not make the trip so Morgan and I adventured out on our own on this european trip!<BR> We flew ord to cdg on Airfrance absolutely excellent! We had a whole row of seats in the middle to stretch out. I even got little bottles of cassis from the stewardress to add to my wine!! We had a connecting flight at cdg to Rome.<BR> Our first experience with the famous strikes of Europe! All flights to Italy cancelled because of Air traffic strike! Part of rolling with the punches, we got to spend the day at CDG!! Well we did make it to Rome 9 hours later. We took the public transportation from the airport to Termini. Pretty easy, packed train though alot of people standing.<BR> We then took a cab that was licensed outside the Termini to our hotel. Hotel Navona, right next to Navona piazza. It is definitely budget. We had a twin room, very clean. No tv, or telephone in room. Ensuite bathroom no tub. My son and I are thin people so it was pretty funny looking at the twin beds, they were so narrow!!!! We pushed our beds to the walls so we could support our backs otherwise we felt we would fall off!! The room was 118 euros, you have to pay cash. Great location, the owner was nice just too low budget for me to stay again!!<BR>They do have breakfast included but we missed every morning!<BR> My first impression that evening of Rome was pretty overwhelming! The beautiful palm trees, driving by th Victor Emanual Monument at night! Sitting at a cafe at the Piazza Navono that first night and looking at the three fountains by Bernini my son and I were in awe! Well to bed now, I will report later!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:43 AM
ira

Hi<BR> Thanks for reporting on your trip. Keep it coming.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:52 AM

I loove trip reports like this<BR>
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:23 AM

Please continue! I love reading trip reports since I won't be able to travel for who-knows-how-long due to the economy -one of the laid off masses-
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:55 AM

please continue! We'll be staying in Hotel Navona in two weeks too! Do they have cot beds b/c there will be my husband, i and our 11 yr.old daughter so I am worrying if they going to charge us more or just provide a cot...<BR>How did the currency exchange work for you? Is it crowded in Rome?<BR><BR>Truly appreciate your comments!!!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:32 AM

Ah! To be sitting in a cafe in Roma!!<BR><BR>I'm going to Rome (and Paris) in less than 50 days! Can't wait. Looking forward to reading more of your trip reports.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:38 AM

Ciao PJ, my kind of report , short and concise I am going to Rome in June and to Paris in july also..
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 10:05 AM

Please continue.... did you stay in Parins or just pass through? It sounds like you just passed through CDG on your way to Rome?<BR><BR>I agree about Rome at night - Seeing the Spanish Steps in the twilight, such magic!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 10:06 AM

ooops, typo, I meant &quot;Paris&quot; not &quot;Parins&quot; LOL!<BR><BR>I sure wish there was a way to edit our posts here.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 03:36 PM
pj
Original Poster

Katie in reply to your question, there is no way a cot would have fit in our room!! Maybe they have larger rooms but the twin room was small. We got our money at the ATM, and found the best exchange for us dollars at the Vatican post office.<BR> Now for our 2nd day!!! We went to the Vatican. Of course since I was with my son we had to go to the top of everything. So off to climbing the top of St Peter's Basilica. Beautiful panoramic view of Rome. Very interesting climb as you go up into the cupola all the walls slant in and the steps too, you cannot stand straight you curve with the incline!<BR> Went on a EnjoyRome vatican tour, very informative and interesting.<BR> We ate at La Veranda ristorante in the Hotel Columbus. Absolutely beautful frescoes on the walls. Great dining, fairly expensive.<BR> Checked out some other hotels for future visits 3 worth noting. Hotel Due Torri, Domus Tiberina or Trastevere House. I will stay at one of these establishments next visit to Rome.<BR> 2 more days in Rome then off to Paris for 3 days.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 03:54 PM
pj
Original Poster

Third day, did I mention the gelato wow!!! That was pretty much our staple in Rome. Well we are off to the Colosseum and the Roman Forum. We had our picture taken with the gladiators that was fun.<BR> We got around Rome walking and using the bus system. <BR> Ate at Campo Dei Fiori, bought some lush products there.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 04:01 PM
pj
Original Poster

Our last day before Paris! We meandered the streets, Pantheon, Fontana Trevi, Piazza Spagna, then met the EnjoyRome tour guide on V'Dell Orso.<BR> We did the Trastevere Jewish ghetto walk. Should not be missed, it even held my sons attention. Fascinating history, ruins, churches, temples.
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 02:55 PM
pj
Original Poster

We are in Paris, the weather on 3/10/03 is perfect. Sunny, 50's perfect walking weather!<BR> We made reservations at Nicolas Flamel for lunch what a treat. It is so charming and is suppose to be the oldest restaurant in Paris.<BR> We went to Pompidue {sp?} museum in the Marais district. Great view on the top floor!<BR> Place DE VOSAGEs what a beatiful area, a woman singing opera was right there in the park. What a memory that is.<BR> We took the Pariswalks in the Marais district, highly recommend this walking tour. <BR> We capped the night off going up the Eiffel tower, no lines this time of year is a great time to go to Paris!!<BR> Stayed at the Hotel Danube, we were on the 5th floor in the twin room. I just love this hotel! Great central l ocation on Rue Jacob.
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 04:02 PM

PJ - Did you need a wool coat in Paris, or would a trench-type raincoat work okay to keep you warm? We are going next week to London and Paris, and I hate the thought of having to hall a raincoat AND a wool coat. 50* is not too bad, hope it keeps to that temp.<BR><BR>Enjoying your report!
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 05:05 PM

pj,<BR>I am so happy that you heard the opera singer!! What a treat, no? There was nothing like it the first time we heard her, sitting there in the park, watching the children play and hearing that lovely singing.<BR>Were the people at the desk at the Danube still as nice ? We stayed years ago, they were sooo friendly and helpful. Which twin room? Ours faced the lobby across the courtyard
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 11:22 PM

Littletraveler: I'm over here in Germany near the French border and thought I'd offer a thought on your coat question. We seem to be having a really nice and early spring this year (makes up for autumn starting halfway through last August) but we're all holding our breath and wondering if we're going to get hit with one last cold spell. I personally would only take the trench coat, but make sure you have something to layer under it. You can always buy a sweater or another layer while there if you need to and what a great excuse for shopping! Just remember too that the 50's you're hearing about is the high temp for the day. This morning I took the dogs out and it was only 34, but my crocuses are finally up so who cares! Yippee, spring is finally here!!!
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:59 AM
pj
Original Poster

Scarlett we had the twin room that faced the street. It is very roomy, the double glazed windows kept the street noise out. Francoise was not the nightman this trip, we missed him. The other gentleman was very sweet. Severin was charming as ever, the staff and location keeps me coming back to Danube!<BR> Today we are off to Versailles of course I have had my museum card, but alas the lines were not a problem anywhere. The weather is still holding out, walked the grounds, the flowers are not planted yet. The palace is so wonderful to see without the crowds. The Hall of Mirrors is under renovation right now. You can walk through but there is scaffolding.The RER is a piece of cake too.<BR> Everyone has been kind, so nice to get away from all the NEWS!!! Did not feel nervous at all, we did not experience any coldness or rudeness.<BR> We also fitted Museum D'Orsay and Louvre into this day! At the D'Orsay we went to the top floor and focused on 3 artists Van Gogh, Touloues Lautrec, Renoir. We are heading to Montmarte tomorrow so these artists were very important to take in.<BR> Louvre we went to Mona Lisa, there were 5 other people in the room!!! Another treat to have Mona to ourselves! We then saw Venus D'Milo, Winged Victory. Then off to Napoleans apartments, fit this exibit in your next visit we loved it!<BR> To end our day, we climbed up Arc de Triomphe. We arrived at 9:55 PM, we literally had to run up the stairs, {I lost weight on this trip}. The view and lack of crowds was breathtaking! Off to bed!!!!
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 04:06 AM
pj
Original Poster

Today we went to Montmarte, we took the Pariswalks tour. This was my favorite walk! Our guide was very animated,EXCELLENT STORYTELELLER. We saw the 2 windmills, the oldest vineyard, Theo Van Gogh home, I just love this area.<BR> We then went to Place Du Tertre, had our portraits done in watercolor. I love our pictures!! <BR> That evening we explored Saint Louis-En L'ili. What a charming street! I bought some jewelry there! We ate at a wonderful bistro. Then walked back to Danube.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 04:15 AM
ira

Hi pj<BR> Thanks for your interesting report.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 03:21 PM
pj
Original Poster

Since this trip is with my energetic son, we need to climb everything!<BR> Off to Notre Dame to climb the bell towers. What a view! We just loved being that close to the gargoyles. Being right next to the bell was cool too.<BR> We just slowed down this last day, eating just one more crepe with nutella. {Me drinking some more kirs} Walking past the Seine, Louvre, Musee D'Orsay.<BR> Meandering in the Marais district one last time! We had a awesome vacation! In fact I hate these post trip blues!!! <BR> Au Revoir!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -