Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving question, II

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 01:06 PM
Marty

Thanks for all the great ideas for Thanksgiving. It is not that we want to spend the holiday known as Thanksgiving in another part of the world eating turkey; it is just that that is a good time for all of us to get away. Last year, we left on Wednesday and returned on Sunday, so we got great rates and nobody really had to take any time off from work. Plus, a short trip felt better for our friends, because they did not have to leave their child for so long.My husband and I were just in Venice, and we so much want to show our friends that wonderful city, but we did not know if November would be as wonderous there as it is in warmer weather. I've looked at historical weather, and it doesn't look great, but we are not afraid of the cold. So much of Venice is enjoyed out of doors, I just wondered if something is lost if you have to spend a lot of time inside. I would like more thoughts on that and any other suggestions that are out there, now that you know I'm not just looking to eat turkey somewhere else!

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 01:38 PM
Santa Chiara

Venice can be incredible in November. Once when I was there for a long weekend, it was cold but the skies crystal clear. The play of light, water and winter sunshine made it even more magical than in warm weather. Another time, we even went to Torcello in mid- to-late November. You may miss the outdoor restaurants, but you also miss long lines, high rates and crowded restaurants. In fact, you have the city to yourself. Stroll right into San Marco and other sites, walk along the quay without being bumped and jostled, step right onto a vaporetto without waiting in line. I think Venice is the perfect city in November and I can't wait to go back.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 02:51 PM
Me

Hi Marty, <BR> <BR>Sorry - on the other post I didn't mean to imply that you were just looking for turkey somewhere else I only mentioned it because it has become sort of a joke with our family since we are never here for the holiday - things like "are you going to have pommes frites with your turkey", or "do they have turkey crepes??". <BR> <BR>Anyway. . . to answer your question about Venice in colder seasons - it is lovely! Feb '99 we were there for Valentines' Day and it snowed. It wasn't too cold to be out and I think since Venice is done so much by foot, you tend to stay warm if you walk a little more briskly. <BR> <BR>Off season, you really do have a sense of having the place to yourself. Though we couldn't eat outside, we had great leasurely meals indoors - and actually, two days after the snow it was warm enough to have lunch outside on the Grande Canal (they had heat lamps!). <BR> <BR>We did more "inside" things like the Doge's Palace, churches, etc., but the magic was still there. <BR> <BR>Hope you decide to go!

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 04:32 PM
howard

As I said on your previous thread, we were in Venice last Thanksgiving. The weather was great! Sunny the entire time (and I have some wonderful pictures to prove it!). Temperature was in the high 50s. We were comfortable in leather jackets. It was fantastic! Go!

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 04:44 PM
marty

Thank you for your thoughts. I think I am ready to start looking for cheap flights to Venice!It is fun to re-visit a place while it is still fresh in your mind, especially if you are showing it off to novices! I am the un-official tourguide for our group of friends. Do you know if any airlines other than Delta are flying directly from New York to Venice now. We flew Delta's new non-stop earlier this month, and, while it was great to go straight there in short time, we had a terrible experience with Delta.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 05:15 PM
Kam

Marty, You might risk rain in late November in Venice, but as others have said, it's never terribly bone chilling cold there and the lack of tourists makes up for it. There was an article about Venice in the winter in one of the foodie mags not long ago--Bon Appetit, Gourmet, or Food and Wine. At any rate, they had rave reviews for Venice in the winter. I say go for it. It certainly will smell better than in August