Reload this Page >

Thank you Elvira!!!!

Search

Thank you Elvira!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 03:55 PM
andi

Thank you Elvira!!!!

I tried to email you back by hitting reply and it came back to me. Thank you so much for your Paris info. Looks fabulous: only problem is so much Paris, so little time. Anyway, I hate to ask since you've already been so generous with your time, but I couldn't open the first document. If you told me what program it's in, that might help. <BR> <BR>Again, merci mille fois.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 07:51 PM
Sue

andi, <BR> <BR>I received the same info from Elvira and opened it in word. Give that a try. <BR> <BR>There was some great information there! Thanks again Elvira!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 07:57 PM
Marcia

Elvira I would love to have your file on Paris...you can e-mail me at above address. Thanks very much.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 03:36 AM
Claudia

I hate sound like a nosey butt-in-ski, but it seems more polite, when requesting information from someone in this manner, to e-mail her directly with your request. <BR> <BR>It saves her some work: all she'll have to do is hit "reply" to your message and include an attachment, rather than copying your e-mail address from your post here, opening her mail program, creating a new message, typing or pasting your address, etc. etc.... <BR> <BR>Plenty of posters seem so generous with their information and time: I think it would be a big help in a situation like this if we made it as easy as possible for them. <BR> <BR>I'm sorry if I've come off like the Forum's answer to Emily Post (no pun intended) -- just thought I'd mention this.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 03:54 AM
Mary

Plenty of posters are so generous but not Fred who asks for $10.00. Why he does and others like Elvira don't?

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 05:03 AM
andi

FYI - I tried to email Elvira directly and it didn't work. Now I have a request - I seem to have corrupted the file she sent me by trying to open it in another program. I goofed! Could she or someone else she's sent it to, kindly forward it to me? That would be so helpful - thanks so much.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 05:09 AM
s.fowler

One of the files elvira sent me was in word perfect. It opened fine in MS Word [on a PC]. My computer is temporarily sick [I hope temporarily!] so I can't forward the file to you until later.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Robin

I would also like to thank Elvira for her kindness. I did try to e-mail her personally to thank her but both attempts failed. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 06:44 AM
Larisa

I tried to e-mail my thanks to Elvira immediately upon receival, but failed because of what was explained the wrond address. I don't understand why REPLY function is not working. That's the only reason, Claudia, I have to thank Elvira via post, not because of the lack of respect. <BR>Elvira, thanks a lot for taking the time and sharing the valuable info.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Claudia

Good grief -- misunderstood again. I never meant to offend anyone, and I certainly didn't mean to suggest that anyone was offering their thanks in an improper way. Thanks are always good. <BR> <BR>My post was only intended to point out that when people cheerfully ask a fellow Fodorite to send them some info privately, it might be best to do so via an e-mail message. <BR> <BR>Lots of times, someone will say, "Oh, I have a file you might want to see on Paris, e-mail me if you'd like a copy" in answer to a posted question, and fifteen people will pile onto that post by saying something like, "send it to me too!" <BR> <BR>All I'm saying is it would seem more polite to e-mail people privately with such requests, because it saves them some work. That's all.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 08:48 AM
Larisa

Claudia, you are not offensive, moreover you are absolutely right. <BR>It's me who feels it wrong using post for thanking. The only reason myself and maybe others ask via post is the validity of the e-mail address provided here. Sometimes people misspell it accidentally, sometimes they don't want to share it, sometimes it does not work as it happened to me and other grateful posters. <BR>But what you said is a definitely right and respective way to do.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 04:08 PM
read

Claudia, <BR> <BR>Did you not read the other poster's comments? That they had tried to email someone privately??? And it did not work??? And believe me, you did not come off as any type of Emily Post... you are not even close to remarking on manners...until you learn to read and not be so rude.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 04:23 PM
elvira

You're all very welcome. As for the email address boo, the SEND THIS FILE used some weird Microsoft email address I didn't even know I had. I really have no idea how computers work, so I'm guessing. And somebody at work told me my files were in html format i/o word, which means as much to me as quantum physics. So for everyone who had trouble opening the attachment, or got the badaddress response, I apologize. <BR> <BR>As for posting on the Forum i/o emailing me directly, it was a bit more work, but that's okay. My concern is that I usually don't go back to previous posts to reread, and may miss somebody asking for further info. <BR> <BR>Maybe that's why some people charge $10 for info...they know how to work this &*%@!! computer.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 04:24 PM
oh ya

Maybe she justs wants to see her name in print and be wanted.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 08:29 PM
Kathleen

Elvira, I can't believe the last post! It's a wonder anyone sticks their neck out to offer help anymore with all these guillotine enthusiasts skulking about looking for an exposed neck to chop. I have always enjoyed your informative, cleverly entertaining posts. In fact, while scrolling down lengthy threads, I come to a screeching halt at your name. You're always worth a look. I, too, would like your Paris file (went 4/01, returning 4/02)if you have the time and inclination to forward it to me. Thank you for your generous sharing of useful information.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 05:11 AM
Claudia

Dear "read before commenting," <BR> <BR>In fact, I was referring to Marcia's post. Now, Marcia may have her feelings hurt. I can't bear this. I am taking my forum-policeman's hat and going home. Forever.