Search

TGV warning

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 02:17 AM
mpprh

TGV warning

An example from last month. Credit still not received.<BR>Having booked and paid for a TGV journey, at the station ………………<BR><BR>Customer Hi, I’ve come to collect my tickets, here is my confirmation.<BR>SNCF People don’t normally book tickets on the internet, its much more trouble. It is much better to come to the station yourself, to buy tickets. <BR>Customer Oh, but you do have my tickets ?<BR>SNCF I need your credit card<BR>Customer But I’ve already paid, look at the confirmation<BR>SNCF Oh yes, I’ve found it on the PC, too. You have paid already, but I need your credit card to issue the tickets. Here, I’ve got the tickets ready.<BR>Customer OK, but I’m not paying twice !<BR>SNCF Your credit card is not accepted by your bank<BR>Customer But I’ve already paid<BR>SNCF It’s not a French card is it ?<BR>Customer No Australian<BR>SNCF That might be the problem<BR>Customer My train leaves in 15 minutes. How do I get my tickets ?<BR>SNCF (After making a phone call) I have to have a valid bank card….. do you have another ?<BR>Customer Yes, but I’ve already paid. I’ve got the confirmation, its on your PC too. If you want proof of identity I’ve got passports, driving licenses etc.<BR>SNCF No, it says here (slowly reading the rulebook) I must have the same card that was used to pay on the internet. And this one doesn’t work in my machine. So you can’t have your tickets. It’s quite clear.<BR>Customer Not to me ! And my train leaves in 10 minutes.<BR>SNCF So, what you must do is : give me another card, pay again, fill in a refund form, and I’ll authorise the credit. Might take a few months, but no need to worry. You’ll get the refund.<BR>Customer If I understand this right, You have my tickets and my money, but won’t give me the tickets until I pay again. Then you keep my money for a few months.<BR>SNCF Yes. Fill in this form, give me your other card and you should get the train.<BR>Customer OK, but I’m not happy.<BR>SNCF Good, this card is OK. Sign here, here and here. Here are your tickets and your receipt for the credit request. You need to rush if you are going to catch the train.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 03:52 AM
Graziella

Sorry about your bad experience. <BR>However I believe that the French have a very good system, of course you have paid, they want to be sure they are giving the tickets to the holder of the card with which the tickets were paid.<BR>They explained this to me very clearly when I made reservations on the phone to pick up tickets in France.<BR>When you are properly informed and you know this it is very simple to pick up the tickets in the French railway station, it takes two minutes.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 04:18 AM
Ira

Hi mpprh,<BR><BR> You have my sympathies. May I suggest that you read Mark Twain's &quot;Innocents Abroad&quot;? It will help you to laugh at the experience.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 04:42 AM
egg

Another thing to remember is that if you buy theatre tickets in London by internet or phone using your credit card, you have to show your card to the clerk when you pick up your tickets.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 05:24 AM
xxx

I also bought my TGV ticket through the internet site of SNCF. To get the tickets at the station, you have to show them the exact credit card you used to pay the ticket. They swipe them through a machine, but only to verify that it is the same card. You won't incur double charges. After the swipe, I got my tickets. It took about 3-5 minutes to do this at the station.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 05:39 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>I was present when this happened to one of my visitors.<BR><BR>In this case he continued to use his card for the rest of the holiday. Either his bank server was down for maintenance or the station card reader was faulty. <BR><BR>The level of customer service was poor !<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 05:47 AM
Grasshopper

Peter,<BR><BR>I know it won't make it seem any wiser, but United does the same thing when I buy my e-tickets online.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 06:25 AM
xx

I'm sorry about your bad experience. I know this is too late for suggestions, but I find that buying through Swiss Rail was easier than buying through SNCF. I purchased the tickets via the internet through Swiss Rail. I think they have the same routes as SNCF, but I'm not certain. It's because we needed to travel from France to Switzerland. In any case, Swiss Rail's website is easier to follow and they charge a few $ to mail the tickets to your home. Therefore, you don't need to go to a ticket office in person.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Bob

Prior to our recent trip to France, we bought our train tickets through the SNCF web site. We bought our tickets well in advance and were able to get very reduced rates compared to what we would have paid if we bought them in Paris. We had no difficulty in picking up our tickets in Paris at a neighborhood ticket office. Our experience was very positive and we would not hesitate to buy our tickets this way again.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Christina

I've never had problems, either. I guess I don't think this is a big problem , and I don't sympathize. The only problem was that mpprh's credit card apparently was defective or the bank's authorization system was down AND that he was in a hurry because he didn't get to the train station on time and apparently is trying to blame SNCF for that. That is an unreasonable complaint, it was your own fault you didn't get there more than a few minutes before the train left, and that's not a very smart thing to do. So, that sheds a different light on the entire post IMO of a big whiner who doesn't plan ahead and tries to blame everybody else for every little mishap on a major trip.<BR><BR>I find it interesting that I probably have little incidents of things that go wrong on my major trips abroad, but none of these are that important that I sit around stewing about them for months and posting them on public internet boards to get people to feel sorry for me or something. Little things go wrong on vacations, if you can't handle it, maybe you should stay at home. My Mastercard didn't work twice in London in August because of some banking network problem or something, but I didn't dwell on this or post about it, I just paid another way for the tickets I had reserved.<BR><BR>I also think people who want all kinds of conveniences, such as buying tickets in advance on the internet from a foreign country, should not be so unreasonable. It is very common for entities to want a valid credit card when you pick up things you've ordered, even when you've paid in advance. It's for fraud reasons. SNCF has a set of standard procedures which work very well, and I'm sure for general management and security reasons they don't want to have a set of standards and then tell their hundreds of clerks who release tickets that they can waive the rules when they think it's okay.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 07:29 AM
John

mpprh,<BR><BR>That is just the French way. You must play the game the way they insist and plan in advance to waste time to please them.<BR><BR>That is why the are one of the least productive countries in the world.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Randy

Why order them through the Internet? For the past five years I have just gone to the station and purchased my tickets just prior to the train leaving. Never had a problem.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 09:16 AM
y

You may have never had a problem but you also may have paid twice as much for the ticket. I prefer the J30's when available to save 50%.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 09:28 AM
tony

<BR>This to John -<BR>Actually you are wrong - it is one of the most productive countries in the world - personal experience on a great many voyages as well as the various intennational economic bodies (OECD etc) confirm the point.<BR><BR>Yes, they do have their &quot;customs&quot; that many of us N Amercans find annoying - they often close for 2 hour lunches, museums and banks often closed Mondays (but latter open on Saturday mornings) etc but in all my dealings there, including the (in)famous Bureacracy, the service is a lot quicker, friendly and efficient that generally encountered here in N America, with the invariable and superficial &quot;have a nice day&quot; approach. And please tell me where the productivity or customer service is with the all pervasive &quot;voice mail&quot; which is our level of &quot;customer service&quot; these days ? Customer service and productivity indeed !<BR><BR>To top it off, the Europeans (including the French) have a quality of life and vacations that are far superior to anything the average N American can ever hope for. Further proof that their productivity (per hour worked) is well above ours ! <BR><BR>Just look at our railways, public transportation services, postal sservices etc (Do we have 2 deliveries a day plus a delivery on saturday ?) Productivity ? Sure.<BR><BR>+++

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 09:39 AM
TGVExpert

Is it my imagination, or is Christina even nastier today than she usually is? <BR><BR>Since Peter lives in France, reprimanding him for whining about the &quot;little things that go wrong on a trip&quot; or advising him that things &quot;are different over there&quot; is stupid and useless. <BR><BR>The fact is, the SNCF people either don't always know how to use the computer system, or there is a lack of synchronization between the website and the humans who man the guichets. <BR><BR>I've had a similar thing happen to me - bought and paid for a ticket through the website (and I do that to save money, often a lot of money), brought the confirmation slip with me, and been told they have no record of my purchase, that my confirmation number doesn't appear in the system. Had to buy a second ticket and get the first payment expunged from my credit card when I got back. On the other hand, I've had no problems the handful of other times I've done the same thing (always with the same credit card, btw).<BR><BR>The system is less than perfect.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 11:45 AM
steve

Tony,<BR>You might want to check your data before making such statements. Per the OECD statistics, France is marginal at best when compared to other members. They generally rank in the lower half for productivity gains. <BR><BR>As for competitiveness which applies to this thread, The IMD does not rank them in the top 20 countries. Behind the US &amp; Singapore are the other EU members, except France. <BR><BR>The WEF does rank them 20th in competitiveness along with the following:<BR>- Technology 17th <BR>- Public Institutions 20th<BR>- Macroeconomic Environment 22nd<BR><BR><BR>Good Showing<BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR>

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 01:13 PM
tony

Steve<BR>Thanks yours - on the OECD and other quoted reports the differences between the various standings are very minor indeed - its like Canada being considered as the &quot;best country in the world to live in&quot; in recent years . Yes - if one does not take the climate factor etc into account - plus note that the difference between the top 5 countries is less than 3 points...<BR><BR>Back to productivity - the basis of productivity is output value per hour worked and on this basis a great many countries including France are up there with the US . Baily of the IIE and Solow of MIT in their productivity comparisons (USA basis 100) have Germany and France at over 92, Japan and Uk at between 70-73 (www.clfm.iit.edu/publish/intprod.pdf)<BR>The UK 's own statistics dept shows very<BR>similar standings - with the UK being rather dismal (www.statistics.gov.uk/press_release)<BR>while other reports (www.j-bradford-delong.net/moveable-type/archives) even make a strong case showing why US productivity is well below many other countries...<BR><BR>International competitivity is another matter entirely as it brings currency exchange changes into the picture. If the Euro gains 10% on the dollar, the relative competitivity of the EU against the US declines by 10% in dollar terms (equibus paribus) . Much of the decline in competitiveness of many countries over the last year is a direct result of the weaker dollar .<BR><BR>The fact remains , if france, and Europe were not as productive as they are , they would not have the high standing of living they do - nor would they be maintaining their huge balance of payment surpluses that they almost all are (including France) - and totally contrary to the huge US BOP deficits which are now in the order of 5% of the GNP ...<BR>BRegards<BR>+++<BR>

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 09:06 PM
YY

Hi, I bought my tickets off the SNCF Net and had it sent to me. (I know that they do not send tickets to the US)<BR><BR>It took 3 days for it to arrive. I felt better with the tickets in my hand.<BR><BR>Furthermore, no queueing for the tickets.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 12:56 AM
mpprh

Message for Christina<BR><BR>I was not travelling.<BR>I was accompanying the traveller.<BR>We were there 45 minutes before departure.<BR><BR>As for &quot;you should stay at home&quot; .............. I live in France ?<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Therese

I sympathize with the customer in mpprh's account. It sounds as if he likely HAS paid twice for the ticket (the clerk acknowledges it), and will now have to wait for the refund (which the clerk says will possibly take several months---why doesn't this happen immediately? it's a credit card). And it might very well not happen---either way the customer's going to have to be checking his credit card bill for months to come, and at what point precisely does he decide it's been long enough and try to contact SNCF to remedy the situation? And won't that be tremendous fun all the way from Australia?<BR><BR>It's a thrash, pure and simple. Credit card readers fail, cards de-magnetize, whatever. Either SNCF should not post the charge until the customer shows up with the credit card in person (at which point a different card could be offered if the first one fails), or be willing to accept alternative identification for tickets for which the customer holds a receipt.<BR><BR>This sort of idiocy is not reserved for the French, I can assure you. I recently checked out of high end hotel in Colorado where the desk clerk was adamant that I had money coming BACK to me. Hundreds of dollars. As my lodging had been paid for by organizers of the meeting I was attending, and I had not paid for anything at all, I could not have been overcharged. Had I not insisted on the credit NOT being applied to my card I would be still be hassling with sorting it all out (credit card, meeting organizers, hotel, taxes) for some time to come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -