Search

TGV from CDG

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TGV from CDG

We are arriving at CDG in the morning and plan to depart by train to Valence as soon as feasible. We were planning on purchasing tickets at the airport on arrival, however it seems that most people on this forum recommend purchasing tickets in advance. Since most tickets appear to be timed, how does one know that they will make their train ie what if your plane is late? Is it a bad idea to buy tickets when we arrive? AAA agent (she thought that since the Raileurope people tac on a fee,the price will not be higher at the airport) and friends who have traveled in France don't see any problem with purchasing tickets on arrival-what do you all think?
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:37 PM

When I purchased tickets in advance, I was using them after I had been in Paris for a day or several days. When I leave from the airport on arrival, I purchase the tickets at the airport. I always fear being late getting in and not being able to use the tickets. The advantage of buying in advance is that there is often a reduced fare.
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks BootsN, I expect I will have to pay a more for the tickets, but think that is better than having tickets I can't use at all.
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM

Make lemonade!

Buy PREM tickets for the day <U>after</u> you arrive and spend the difference on a night in my favorite city. Or, if you absolutely, positively have to be in Valence the same day, reserve a later train (in which case you will arrive at CDG in time for the first train, naturally).

I might: clear the airport formalities and take the RER to Gare de Lyon, park my gear, do a little minor gallivanting, returning in time for an early supper at <I>Le Train Bleu</i> and the last train of the evening.
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Basically, the cost of PREM tickets is many, many times less than the cost of walk up fares and there is no guarantee that seats will even be available. For instance I have seen Paris to Avignon tickets at 25€. This might explain why people purchase PREMs accepting the risk that a late arriving aircraft might result in their missing their train connection.

One strategy you might consider is rather than purchasing an airline ticket to CDG, purchase a ticket to XHK (the Valance TGV station). Tickets purchased this way guarantee travel on the next available TGV to Valence in the event you arrive late to CDG.