Tentative Germany Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will have 9 days to spend in Germany and have come up with this intinerary. Please feel free to comment or suggest.
Day 1-arrive frankfurt. Visit sights in Frankfurt for day as I don't want to drive the same day as arrival.
Day2-Pick up car,drive to Wurzburg and Romantic road.
Day3,4- Romantic road and late afternoon drive to Dachau
Day 5-Dachau and late afternoon drive to Berchtesgaden.
Day 6-Eagles Nest and environs. Late afternoon drive to Fussen.
Day6-Visit castle etc. in Fussen area.
Day 7, 8-Resume drive on Romantic road visiting smaller villages etc off the Road.
Day 9- Head to Frankfurt for flight back home
Feel free to comment or suggest.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 03:48 PM

When are you going? We are going in March and planned on going to the Eagles Nest but their website says it is closed.
Also - Dachau is closed on Mondays.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 04:12 PM

<Day 6-Eagles Nest and environs. Late afternoon drive to Fussen.
Day6-Visit castle etc. in Fussen area.>

You plan to do all this in one day? I don't think you'll have time to visit the castle(s) if you are leaving Berchtesgaden in late afternoon. According to viamichelin.com, the trip is 3 hours without stops. If you plan to tour Neuschwanstein, the latest it is open is 6pm, and that is April - September. You don't say when you are going.

Maybe you could see the castles in the morning of Day 7 to give you a little time to relax and enjoy the scenery. It is a beautiful area and I think you may feel rushed with so much planned in so little time.

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 06:55 PM

I don't know what time you arrive in Frankfurt but if it was me I think I would pick up a car in Frankfurt and spend the first night in Rothenburg ODT. The Romantic Road isn't the attration, it is the quaint villages along it.

You might consider a loop of Rothenburg to Fussen then across to Wiesekirche, Oberammergau, Linderhof, Ettal Monastary, Garmish, Mittenwald, Hall and then Salzburg. Daytrip from Salzburg to Bertschesgaden then finish your stay in Munich with a sidetrip to Dachau. If time permits you might want to stop at Herren Chiemsee, Ludwig's copy of Versialle on the road between Salzburg and Munich.

If you haven't bought the tickets fly open jaw into Frankfurt and out of Munich. If you do that you can drop your car when you get to Munich and use public transportation to get around Munich out to Dachau and to the airport.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

SMITHMOM
We will be there the last few days in August and first few days of Sept. Eagles Nest closes for the winter I believe in October and reopens depending on weather in late April.

SHERHATFIELD
Whoops, meant to say day 6 Eagles Nest late drive to Fussen and DAY 7 visit castle etc with day 8 and 9 driving back
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

AISLESEAt
I realize the ROAD isn't the attraction. We plan on spending 2/3 nights in that area visiting towns and villages in the area.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 10:02 PM

If you want to go to Würzburg anyway on day 2, you could think about taking a direct train from Frankfurt Airport station to Würzburg (1h20m, at least 1 train per hour) and pick up the car there in the afternoon of day 2 to drive to Rothenburg.

I would not go that far to say that Frankfurt has no sights (that would be a straight lie), but you may like it better on day 1 to cure your jet lag in a more quaint baroque town like Würzburg, than in the more busy city center of Frankfurt.

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 04:22 AM
ira

Hi H,

>Day 6-Eagles Nest and environs. Late afternoon drive to Fussen.
Day6-Visit castle etc. in Fussen area.

I don't think so.

How important is Berchtesgaden?

On Day 5, you can visit Dachau in the AM and Herrenchiemsee in the PM and then head for Fuessen.

On Day 6 you can visit Neuchwanstein, Howenschwangau from Fuessen. Head for Linderhof and spend the night in Oberammergau.

This way, you will see all of Ludwig's castles.

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

IRA
See correction above
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 02:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi hermit,
I strongly agree with two things that were mentioned above:
I'd get the car when you arrive and head toward Rothenburg. Everyones different, but we always get our car as soon as we land (we don't care for big cities) and do a 2 to 3 hour drive. It's an easy drive.

Fly open jaw if possible into Frankfurt and out of Munich. We did a similar trip last Oct. and we were so glad we didn't have to drive back to Frankfurt.

Paul
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 03:04 PM

I checked viaMichelen and they say it is an hour and 45 minutes from the center of Frankfurt to Rothenburg. You go right by Wurtzburg on the way.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 03:06 PM

You may already know this but if you pick up a rental car at an airport or trainstation in Germany they add on 19%. If you can get it off site you will save some money. That way you can stock up on "schneeballs" in Rothenburg with the money you saved.