More Flight Disruption - BA announces 20 days of strikes in May/June

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between the ash and strikes my vacation is getting a bit stressful!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10105863.stm

My flight home to London from Turin is booked on BA June 7...what do you think my chances are??

I can book easyjet flights out of Milan for €100 total...thinking it may be a cheap insurance policy!
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:00 AM
HP5

I agree, between the ash and strikes I'm getting stressed. I'm flying on BA and both my arrival and return dates are scheduled to strike. Is it a good idea to book a refundable ticket on another airline (I don't have to go through Heathrow as this isn't my final destination) as insurance? (I've been planning this trip for some time and have no flexibility on travel dates to rebook due to work obligations.)
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:50 AM

We are booked out of SFO on May 21st, a strike date. Do I call the airlines NOW and ask to be put on another flight? Do I ask them if my specific flight has been canceled-- what?
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM

Of the four flights I have into and out of Heathrow only one seems to be impacted- Barcelona to Heathrow on the 22nd. My sister is flight with me to Heathrow and then on to BWI. Since I booked my flight through work I will contact them but am wondering what my sister should do?
My return trip on the 29th seems to be sandwiched between strike dates so may be delay but since it is a long haul flight to Boston should be ok.
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Some better info
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...ke_home_banner
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:04 PM
BKP

HP5 -- where are you flying from and where are you going?

We were affected by the last strike and here is what we learned, hopefully the same information applies. You can call the airlines now and be rebooked onto another flight. They won't know yet if your flight will or will not be canceled. If you are rebooked to a non strike day they won't rebook you back to your original flight if it isn't canceled. (That actually changed about half way through the process. Originally they said they would but then changed their minds)

jamikins -- if I would have been able to buy a back up ticket for E100 I would have just for piece of mind!
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:13 PM

my flight will also be disrupted. i am due to fly out of LAX on may 26th but i have no idea what my options are at this stage. i tried calling BA today but the hold time was 120-90 minutes. any ideas on what else we can do?
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

We are lucky and our flight is into Gatwick so it looks like we are ok! We also decided that if we get stuck, well...we will take a 2nd week in Italy...we are lucky our vacation is pretty flexible!

We are very lucky...easyjet is having a sale right now (until tomorrow night) so if its a short haul flight that is disrupted perhaps some of you can get a back-up flight for cheap?
Old May 10th, 2010, 01:31 PM

We are flying AA to Heathrow on June 4th, then onto Milan on BA on June 5th, or not as the case may be now. I have called AA and had a series of conversations about this already this afternoon; they have not been updated about BA nor do they yet have a policy in place,hoping that will happen soon so that they can begin to make some schedule changes. We are using FF miles, and until a 'policy' is issued, their agents can only go so far in overiding schedule changes, or so they say. We could fly another route, LA to NY to Milan (which is our destination) but right now it they would have to "free" up the Business class seats to do that, and it was not happening this afternoon. Actually, our conversations were very cordial and I think we will be able to work something out. I do not envision sitting in the BA Lounge at Heathrow in less than 4 weeks to be an option, but I get a feeling I may be on the phone with AA for many more hours.

And then there's the volcano . . .