Tell me about Sea Urchins (Puglia)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2024, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I travel, I like to try all the local specialties, and I definitely want to try sea urchins when I'm in Puglia. I saw a picture where they looked raw with bread to scoop them up. Are they always served raw? I don't really like raw clams or oysters, so I wondered if they are similar. On the other hand, I like tuna tartare and similar dishes. I am going to try the sea urchins either way, but if they are ever served cooked, what dish am I looking for? Thanks!
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 01:56 PM

Susan You can enjoy them both raw and cooked and both are fantastic! Look for them raw along the coast south of Fasano..there is a stretch of restaurants specializing in them. On one of our first trips to Puglia we met an Italian couple traveling in a van who had just bought a big load of urchins and they open them up and let us eat until we were full..remains a great memory. More easy to find would be spaghetti with Ricci di mare, or any pasta with sea urchins.....this is often a special in restaurants depending on the catch that morning which depends a lot on the weather.

There is a distinct season when it is legal to take them from the sea, but this is not always followed to the letter of the law in southern Italy. I would ask around when you arrive at your destination and maybe phone a few restaurants, or ask your hotel or host to phone and see who has them that day...

Old Mar 18th, 2024, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

ek, thanks so much, just what I wanted to know. I was hoping you would see this thread, since I figured you would know the answer. 😀
Continue to enjoy Spain!
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 11:58 AM

Susan, sometimes one may find a group of young men (assumedly fishermen) hanging about ports and nearby cafes with a plan to sell passerby their fresh ricci di mari.
They may or may not speak any English at all.
It can taste surprisingly sweet btw.

I am done. the spikes
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, zebec, I'll keep a look out for them.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 01:26 PM

Indeed! That is sort of how we tied the urchins for the first time in Pugliai but, as I wrote, above, it was a couple from the North in a van who shared their haul with us....oh, Susan do look for them...

Coincidentally I had some today at a restaurant in Barbate, Andalucia...on top of sashimi of belly tuna..talk about a lot of a great thing! Also do look for them in pasta at a restaurant...
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

ek, I will definitely look for them on the shore as well as with pasta!
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 05:07 AM

Hi SusanP, Re the texture of sea urchins—I would say they feel like oysters in your mouth, though a bit sweeter. Sea urchins are gorgeous. Once the beautiful black spiky otherworldly shell is broken open it reveals a roundish orange delicacy. I enjoyed many a plateful of them just split open (raw) during a trip to Puglia last spring, and sometimes had them (raw) with pasta as described above. I loved them so much that I ordered them whenever I saw them. And it was fun in Monopoli to watch the fisherman clean them in plastic bins on the banks of the water. Definitely worth trying early in your trip in case you get hooked on them. Note that after I left Monopoli (this was March 2023) the owner of the B&B I stayed at (who came to know how much I loved them) texted me an article (in Italian, and unfortunately I can’t find it now) indicating that harvesting of them would be prohibited for some time, even w/in the typical season when harvesting is normally allowed. I have no idea if this is still the case in Puglia in 2024 and even whether, if it is, if the prohibition is being adhered to.
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, studenttobe. I will try them as soon as I see them on a menu.

By the way, I've wanted to go to Puglia for a while. Your report is one reason why I decided to go for it! In Lecce, I'll be staying at the place you stayed at. I also plan to do a day trip to Monopoli from Polignano a Mare.

Last edited by SusanP; Mar 21st, 2024 at 12:47 PM.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 05:21 AM

You’re so sweet, SusanP. I’m glad my report was helpful. I’m happy that you’ll be staying at the B&B in Lecce. Right now I could go for an Leccese rustico (savory pastry) . I wish you the most wonderful trip. I cannot wait to return to Puglia at some point since I found it absolutely magical.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, I'm really looking forward to it!