television

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
television

We are Canadian and will be spending 4 weeks in Nice and would like to take some DVD's to play on our laptop. We know that North American DVD's are not playable on European machines but can our DVD's be played on a European TV with the proper connections from the laptop? or with a NA DVD player and RCA adaptors including transformer.Thanks in advance.
Rootbear
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Europeans seem to be not as concerned with pleasing Hollywood regulations, so most (but not all) dvd players are multiregion and will play a region 1 disc fine. Likewise, most, but not all, TV's are multisystem and will play NTSC signals. I've hooked up my camcorder and played NTSC video in many hotel rooms TV's.

You can never be sure until you try it, but if all else fails, you can watch the dvd on your laptop. Even if the screen is only 15 inches, it won't be all that smaller than many hotel room TV's.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi gforaker,
Thanks for your advice. We are staying at an apartment that we have used before and hope to return to for the next few years. If the DVD player will work, I am considering taking over a cheap DVD player and the TV is quite large so I was hoping it would work. I think you are correct but I wlll do more research. Thanks again,Rootbear
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 12:03 PM

you can buy a cheap $40 euro decoded dvd at carrefour/or similar once you get there.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Great point. If it doesn't play, just get a cheap unit there. If you buy something here, you would have to make sure it plays region 2 discs, you have the "secret code" to enable it, and most importantly, make sure it runs on 220 volts and 50 cycles. Most cheap units here won't do the last. The store there should be able to confirm if it plays region 1 (USA) discs.