teach or holiday?

Search

teach or holiday?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
teach or holiday?

I love to go to Europe but don't like going when the riff raff go. Do you think the school is being unreasonable when I ask for a fortnight off? I am quite prepared to give my students assignments to do when I am away.After all that's all I give them when I'm here anyway.What do you think? Travel is the best education and just think of the geography and languages I can teach them when I return!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

sorry for the double posting. My computer screen seemed to freeze when I posted the first time!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 04:12 AM
ira

Dear Mary,

I'm with you. I just wish that in my 30+ years of teaching I had had the guts to do what you are doing.

Go for it!!!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 04:35 AM

Seems reasonable. Just give all your students an A. That's what counts.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 04:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
My sister is a teacher and I am sure she would think that is a great idea as she loves to travel too. Most school's are unreasonable - what with all the rules and such!! No need to leave real assignments - just give them "busywork". Just make sure you get paid while traveling. I'm sure it is equivilant to getting your masters!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

I actually think I am doing the parents a big favour. The kids can do their assignments on a cheap holiday- everyone's happy!!!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 08:18 AM

I would love to travel out of school holiday time as well!
Giving A grades sounds like a good idea. You won't have to bother marking then at all. You might have great intentions to mark but you will probably end up just like my school kids( and their parents). I'm asked so often to provide work and told it will be done- guess what? It isn't (usually). And the "education" the children get is usually going to water parks/disneyland/MacDonalds.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 08:26 AM
dln

Mary1, you are such a slyboots! This is your parody of maryintwin's post, the justification of pulling her kids out of school so she's not inconvenienced by tourist hoardes, isn't it??? Dear Mary, I don't think someone like maryintwin would recognize the shoe being on the other foot, as it were. But I do admire your clever take on it. And I don't suspect you're the kind of teacher who would pull a fast one on her students!

Old Oct 25th, 2003, 08:40 AM

I'm also a teacher (33 years) and I love to travel. My hubby has gotten used to the idea of me staying at home when he travels; and I travel when not in school. Oftentimes that means we go on lots of separate vacations. It's a standing joke at school... (you mean you get to travel WITH your husband??)

I recall a post that suggested you "get paid while you travel..." Yeah, right. I've been docked everytime I have taken a day here or there over the years. And I usually get a smirky look from my admin who is signing my leave request. It ain't pretty... I've just gotten used to traveling when I'm off.

I'll be retiring in June 04 (yahooooo) and will be going to Europe, Thailand, all over the US, etc WHENEVER I want to!! It'll be great!

Mary1... if you can do it and you are not made to feel guilty taking time off, go for it! I just hope you don't get docked like I always did.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 08:48 AM

simpson
Thailand-have you been there before-its brilliant. I have a while to go before I retire(although I think anyone who mangages to teach for 20 years should be awarded early retirement!) In Scotland we just can't get time off(unless you give up your job!)
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 09:00 AM

I should check my lottery tickets, but I would send a select few outstanding teachers on an all expenses paid trip to Europe. Teachers work hard, they deserve some perks.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 09:09 AM

Fiona,
Yes, I've been to Thailand five times in the last 2 1/2 years. I LOVE it! I've been the last 3 summers and the last two Christmas breaks. I'm afraid we won't be going this Christmas break as it will be a little shorter time. We always wait and travel AFTER Christmas Eve.
I've also made 5 trips to Australia over the years. It's another favorite destination for me.
I'm Carol, by the way.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 09:19 AM

Just thought I should add that I always take time to speak to classrooms about my travels. The young children I teach will probably never visit the places I have, or experience the things I've done, as they are at a very high poverty rate. They love hearing about my elephant ride, my hot air balloon ride across the outback, and the other things I share through photos and conversation. And I'm delighted to be able to tell them about the big world out there.
Carol
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 09:32 AM

I was glad to hear that Mary1 is just kidding, otherwise I would have to say that since teachers are off all summer plus a couple of weeks at Christmas, plus a week in the sping (usually, I think), and most people get two to three weeks per year at the most, teachers have very little to complain about. I DO think teaching is very hard work (I did it for five years quite a few years ago and I'm sure it is much harder now) and that good teachers deserve many rewards. However, I don't think they have any complaints about amount of time each year they have to travel. JMHO
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

yes I was just kidding.Thought I would start a new post after the other Marys one on taking children out.However, the replies have been interesting( and I am a teacher by the way)
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 10:00 AM

Mary, you are clearly one of those people who's parent's pulled you out of school to travel when you were a kid. And now you are an adult who still doesn't think the rules apply to you.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 11:20 AM
lyb

Mary,

I think it perfect sense, after all, the students can just do their work while you're gone and hey, with the internet, maybe you can check in on them every now and then.

Funny, isn't it that when you turned things around, it sounded so silly.

But I don't think that the parents who think it is their right to take their kids out of school and give more work to teachers will see the irony in it.

Have great fun on your trip, and don't worry the students will just catch up later.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 11:26 AM
ira

Kristinelaine offered:
>..I would have to say that since teachers are off all summer plus a couple of weeks at Christmas, plus a week in the sping (usually, I think), and most people get two to three weeks per year at the most, teachers have very little to complain about.<

Dear Kristine,

Most people get two weeks vacation + twelve holidays.

Teachers get **laid off without pay** for two months + 12 holidays.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 11:41 AM

Carol
I also found Thailand recently and have had three trips in 18 months. Like you,I relate some of my travels to my pupils. I teach in quite a poor area and therefore most of my pupils will not experience that type of holiday in their childhood.
Well done Mary-one back for the teachers!!!!I agree with dln though in that the poster you were doing a "take" on will probably never realise!!!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

topping for those who answered my duplicate post!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -