Search

Tea Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 03:02 PM
valuent

Tea Questions

Forgive my naivete, but I'd like to know how tea or high tea works: do you sit and the server brings a cart around from which you select what you want? What do you do if you really don't like something - can you leave it on your plate? Can you get to try more if you're still hungry or didn't like what you initially took? I just don't want to offend anyone! Thanks

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Patrick

It really depends upon where you go. As I recall at the Ritz they brought a tiered serving piece to the table with a whole lot of different things on it and you helped yourself. At Brown's, they did a similar thing, except servers kept coming around with other items. "We have some hazelnut chocolate cake here, would anyone like to try?" Relax, it will become apparent how it works. I've never been anywhere (except at my mother's) where you get into trouble for not eating something you don't like or want. And there's nothing wrong with telling the server something like "we really don't eat many sweets, but would love some more of those cucumber sandwiches."

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 03:09 PM
xxx

Generally at a High Tea, the server brings out a multi-layer serving tray that will include items such as sandwishes, tarts, pasteries, etc. Obviously you only need to take what you want off of the tray that is left there at your table. Some teas serve a lot of food, while others will leave you wanting a meal in a few hours.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 03:47 PM
Wendy

I love high tea and even go here in Seattle. Usually you pick your tea and they keep that full and hot. But the food is finger food- cucumber sandwiches, chicken salad sandwiches, fruit, shortbread cookies, tarts, etc. This isn't a meal but a snack to tie you over until dinner usually so it's not super filling. You usually can't order more but I'm sure some places may vary. Either way it's very fun and relaxing!!

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Jayne

Wendy - Very Interested - where do you go for cucumber sandwiches and high tea in Seattle?<BR><BR>Thanks...<BR>

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 12:13 AM
sylvia

Sorry to labour the point, but this has come up before. High as in tea does not mean posh. High tea is a substantial meal usually met in the North of England and Scotland. In fact it is the main evening meal. It will have meat with it or something cooked e.g. Welsh rabbit.<BR>The dainty tea with cucumber sandwiches and cakes is "Afternoon tea"

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 04:54 AM
elaine

Hi valuent<BR>Sylvia is right, what you want, a la Masterpiece Theatre, is afternoon tea.<BR>The posher-sounding "high tea" is really more like what we Americans might call<BR>"supper".<BR>Some hotels and restaurants differ, but as described above, during most afternoon teas you will be offered many choices, and repeatedly. If you've taken something you don't care for, just say you don't care for it, and it will be whisked away.<BR>In some cases, you will be offered sandwiches and scones first, and cakes and pastries later. All the while your tea should be replenished. <BR>One strategy I use is to go to afternoon tea on a day when I'm going to the theater in the evening. The tea<BR>helps me avoid having a rushed, too-early dinner, and then I can have a leisurely late dinner after the theater, or just go for a snack.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Wendy

Jayne, We go to the Queen Mary Teahouse. It is so fun! They have a regular menu or the set tea menu. If you live here you should definately treat yourself! Queen Mary [Tea room]<BR>2912 Northeast 55th Street, Seattle; 206-527-2770 <BR>More expensive and decadant is the Four Seasons tea. At least they use to do it, not sure if they still do. <BR>There are so many different stories as to why it's called "High Tea" and I have definatley heard Sylvia's before but others include: . "High" refered to the way it was taken, sitting atop stools in a tea shop or standing at a counter or buffet table. And also: When to serve it? The high time of the day, around 3 or 4 o'clock in the afternoon. Whatever the background it's fun! Cheers!