Taxi to Stonehenge at Ridiculous O'clock

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2023, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (myself, 56, 50-ish sister and BIL, and nephew, 13) are taking a trip to the UK next month, mostly by train.

We have Stonehenge Inner Circle booked independently (we couldn't get a tour) for very early on a Saturday morning. We are staying at Holiday Inn Stonehenge/Salisbury in Amesbury the night before, and it seems to be entirely reasonable to get there via bus from Salisbury.

We're going to need a taxi to Stonehenge in the morning. Hire car isn't really an option.

I had an enquiry out to a taxi company in Salisbury, and they seemed willing, but then they didn't email me back.

Before I run down the entire list of taxi companies in Salisbury/Amesbury, does anyone have a specific suggestion? I suppose I could contact the hotel and see what they suggest, but I'm really trying to keep drama to a minimum, and it's a bit frustrating that we can't walk or bus.
Old Jul 19th, 2023, 04:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I would 100% ask the hotel for a referral. They are on the ground -- know the local companies and have likely had to get taxis for early flights out of LHR etc.

Its a full service HI (or as 'full service' as a HI may be) and not a HI Express so they probably have a bit more 'customer service'.
Old Jul 19th, 2023, 09:22 PM

Agree with janisj. Not only would I ask the hotel. If they offer the service, I would have them book it. Double check that they have done it and ask again when you arrive. Guess I am a slow learner, but I have come to really appreciate a hotel that looks after you as a guest.
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! We'll go ahead and start there. I had kind of been thinking of it as a last resort, but yeah, they probably do know all the ins and outs of stuff like that. It's the very early hour that has me so concerned, since I'm sure tourist do take taxis to Stonehenge.
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again!

Success. They recommended a local company, I emailed them, and we have arranged not only to be taken to Stonehenge, but to be taken all the way to the hotel near Heathrow after that. The original plan was to be taken to the train station in Salisbury, but the quote to Heathrow was quite reasonable and it seemed easier.
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 07:28 PM

👍 That's great
Old Aug 30th, 2023, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Back, happy to report that everything went well, and we were VERY, VERY glad we had arranged to be taken to Heathrow, as that day was the rail strike.

Old Aug 30th, 2023, 05:53 PM

Well done! Isn't it nice when plans you make turn out to be absolutely the right decision?
Old Aug 30th, 2023, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by persimmondeb
Back, happy to report that everything went well, and we were VERY, VERY glad we had arranged to be taken to Heathrow, as that day was the rail strike.
🚘 👍 Being driven is always nice
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 11:35 AM

We (myself, 56, 50-ish sister and BIL, and nephew, 13) are taking a trip to the UK next month, mostly by train.

We have Stonehenge Inner Circle booked independently (we couldn't get a tour) for very early on a Saturday morning. We are staying at Holiday Inn Stonehenge/Salisbury in Amesbury the night before, and it seems to be entirely reasonable to get there via bus from Salisbury.

We're going to need a taxi to Stonehenge in the morning. Hire car isn't really an option.

I had an enquiry out to a taxi company in Salisbury, and they seemed willing, but then they didn't email me back.

Before I run down the entire list of taxi companies in Salisbury/Amesbury, does anyone have a specific suggestion? I suppose I could contact the hotel and see what they suggest, but I'm really trying to keep drama to a minimum, and it's a bit frustrating that we can't walk or bus.

Deffo speak to the hotel. there are so many people stay there before going to Stone Henge.
Why haven't you got a hire car??
Have you checked the opening times? - I stayed there a few years back and found it closed until about 9 am so we went into Amesbury and had a classic English Breakfast at the Friar Tuck cafe.

Check out the trains for strikes - they are still going on but nothing planned for the rest of September

Last edited by khunwilko; Sep 4th, 2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 11:40 AM

Deffo speak to the hotel. there are so many people styy there before going to Stone Henge.
Why haven't you got a hire car??
Have you checked the opening times - I stayed there a few years back and found it closed until about 9 am so we went into Amesbury and had a classic English Breakfast at the Friar Tuck cafe.

Check out the trains for strikes - they are still going on but nothing planned for the rest of September

Old Sep 4th, 2023, 12:19 PM

khunwilko: I don't think that will be much help since the trip is over and they are back home -- see post #7
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
khunwilko: I don't think that will be much help since the trip is over and they are back home -- see post #7

One likes to think that other people apart from the OP will search for info on this topic.
Old Dec 27th, 2023, 08:09 AM

Taxi name and contact?

Would you please share the name of the taxi company in Salisbury?
thank you kindly
Old Dec 27th, 2023, 08:23 AM

I am glad everything went so well. I hope you enjoyed your visit to Stonehenge - well thought having an inner access tour was well worth it.
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, just saw this. We used Henge Cabs, and they were great. Henge Cabs -01980 622111(Martin)
- 07434812586 (Richard)