Taxi from Schiphol

Search

Taxi from Schiphol

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxi from Schiphol

Four of us are arriving at Schiphol in Amsterdam. I understand that it is approximately €40 for a Taxi into the city. My question is whether Taxis will carry four passengers (assuming the luggage fits in the trunk). Are there additional surcharges based on number of passengers?
Thanks
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 09:09 AM

Our family of four took a taxi from the airport into town. It wasn't a problem.

I will say, though, that the cab drivers were unorganized and aggressively surrounded us to get our business. It was off-putting. And later in our trip, we had a bad experience with a cab driver who tooled around in circles to charge us more. We told him we knew what he was doing. And the cab driver from the airport pretended not to know where our hotel was, even with the street address and the instructions that it was directly across the street from Hotel l'Europe, which any cab driver would know.

My advice is to tell the drivers you will pay 40Euro, and select the best-looking cab whose driver agrees to that price.
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 09:57 AM

I suggest taking the train to town
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 10:07 AM

Most people take the train into central Amsterdam. There is also a bus to Leidseplein, if that's nearer your hotel.
http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/To...cTransport.htm
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 10:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Train is dead easy, taxi is kind of, well, something you use when the public transport system doesn't work, welcome to Europe.
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 10:12 AM

If you are taking a cab make sure it has blue plates, and is at the taxi rank. Ask to see the drivers permit too.
Better yet is to reserve a taxi. It will cost around €50 but it is a safer, and more pleasant way for you to get into town. You can book one on the Schiphol website.
If you are prepared to share with others it will be less.

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/To...TravelTaxi.htm
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 10:35 AM

Alernatively use TCA taxis. Call on arrival. http://www.tcataxi.nl/en/rates.html

Trains are cheaper, as is the bus, but a lot depends on where you are staying of course.
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 12:15 PM

It depends on the size of the luggage.

I have taken a taxi from Schiphol to the city in a group of 4 adults. The taxis in the rank were large Mercedes size and easily fit our luggage -- but we only traveled with one 22" carry-on each. The price was about what you mentioned.

However, as the first responder mentioned, it was a somewhat creepy experience -- both ways. The first hint of how the taxi rank worked differently at Schiphol was when the "coordinator" at the taxi rank told me I did not have to take the first taxi. This was the relief as the first guy looked like taxi drivers I see at rogue taxi stops at Rome Termini. As I tried to choose a taxi, the other drivers bugged me why I did not choose them. The driver drove aggressively without any expressions. The return to the airport was prearranged, and while he drove more sanely, he was also expressionless. When you read people mention about taking something other than taxi, they often don't mention what precisely about the taxis from the rank that they don't recommend.

I visit Amsterdam every year, and I now either take bus #197 to Leidseplein or a train to Amsterdam Centraal. I have also used a reservation only taxi for a long distance trip from Schiphol. It was a pleasant experience with a driver who carried on a pleasant conversation about the Netherlands.
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help.
After looking at the links you all suggested, I think our best bet is to take bus 197 as it will let us off within 3-10 minute walk from our hotel.
Thanks again for the suggestions.