Search

tax refund

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tax refund

hello guys,

please help me with this. i bought LV bag in Paris, for some reason i totally forgot to bring it the tax refund office in the airport, do you think i could just mail the papers and copy of the receipt without the stamp in customs.. please advice. thank you
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Original Poster

by the way im already here in US
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 12:46 AM

Absolutely not.

VAT is refunded only on merchandise that's taken, unused, out of the EU.

You have no way of demonstrating that: you could easily have given the bag as a present to someone in France - or just lost it.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

ohhh thats so sad, how come i didn't realize that, thanks a lot.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 03:25 AM

Hi. I just returned from Paris last weekend and also bought a LV bag. Am so sorry you forgot to go to customs but can understand as it is overwhelming at times to get to a strange airport and navigate your way through everything and to remember to do something you have never done before.

The whole process was new to me too.

Hope you enjoy your bag - I love mine.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

i arrived last weekend from Paris too, you are right Royal, im just sad cause tried to compare the price of LV bag from Paris and US and thought i could save couple of hundred dollars but looks like its just gonna be the same nway i will just enjoy my bag too, what kind of LV did you get Royal? its my first time to get one hehehe
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 05:52 AM

I can't remember the name or style. Think it was on a small ticket inside but I must have thrown it out.

It's a new style 2tone with the brown LV logo all over and vanilla leather trim and shoulder strap. It's not a long strap just the type that fits over the shoulder so the bag stays under your arm. It's a style I like. I thought the colors would work year round and at that price I intend to use it year round. Think it was 725 euros and I get an 87 euro refund.

It's my first and probably only bag. What did you choose?
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

hi, i got the epi leather top handle type (bowling montaigne GM) in ivory, i like it very much but its not for everyday use, i mean for me esp the color but no regret.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Royal, if ever i change my mind would u know if i could return the bag to any LV store in US?
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 07:16 AM

nj - just read this. I really don't know the answer to that, maybe you should call one of the LV stores in the US and ask them.
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 08:04 PM

nj, some styles of LV leather goods are unique to Paris and are not carried in the US. LV in the US is very rigid regarding its return policies and I seriously doubt they will accept a bag bought in Paris for return, exchange, or store credit. (My daughter works for LV.)

I was thinking recently that I distinctly remember standing in line at Customs at CDG in May and turning in a detax form, but I have no idea what I did with my copy, whether I was reimbursed, or even what I bought!
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 08:21 PM

>> do you think i could just mail the papers and copy of the receipt without the stamp in customs..

Not possible.

However, you could (and this is NOT guaranteed) take your receipts, the Tax-Free form, the LV purse that you bought with the price tag still attached on it, to the nearest French Consulate office. You need to explain to them the situation and give them a really good reason for them to write you a letter in French to the Global Refund Office in France to support your claim for a post-exit Tax Refund. Please note that "I was in a rush to catch my flight" or "I didn't have time to go get the Tax-Free Stamp" is NOT a good reason for the French Consulate to endorse your claim for the tax refund. Oh, and you must pay (at least) $45 to the French consultate for their services.

I've had this happen to me one time and was able to get my tax free refund back this way. This is referring to the French Consulate in Los Angeles. Please note that they have moved offices. It is no longer at the KB Homes building.

Also, please remember that the personnel at the French Consulate may not be nice to you about this. They don't have to, and they don't like the extra paperwork that is involved. They just may totally ignore you. I suggest that you go there as a last resort and try to be really really really polite when discussing your request.

Good Luck.