Tauck tours in mainland Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2009, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently returned from our first trip to Greece, with Tauck Tours. While we loved the historical sites, people, and food we were disappointed in the overall trip. It was our mistake not to extend the trip and also visit some of the islands. There is a reason that no other tour company just does mainland Gareece,and that is because you dont get a full picture of the country.Knowing in advance what to expect will go a long way to avoid disappointment. We felt much of our trip was misrepresented, particularily that we had many days spent driving 4,5 or more hours.
Greece itself is not that scenic, though it is quite mountainous. Many of the roads are very twisty and curving, and the highways lead you past gas stations, small industrial sites, car dealerships and olive groves.We really didnt see too many quaint towns.
If going on a tour I would highly recommend asking how long a drive between stops, and not just rest stops.
I would also ask what local entertainment is available- we never got to see any,
When visiting Athens try and not be there on a weekend, as most stores close early Sat and all day Sunday.
The historical sites are wondeful, and the local guides are very good. The museums are also very well designed .
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry that you were disappointed -- seems much of the dissatisfaction is attributable to the tour company not being aligned to your interests.

I can say that I've especially enjoyed my sojourns through the Peloponesses -- many charming villages there, as well as lovely smaller towns, eg Nafplio, perhaps the prettiest seaside town in all of Greece, IMHO.

However, the Greek aesthetic is Not going to be the same as, say, English Cotswolds or Swiss mountain villages. Each has its charms.

We've always rented a car in Greece (except in Athens), and being able to stop whenever we wanted, always made a 4 hr car trip just as enjoyable as the destination. In fact, I'd look forward to those slow, twisty, curving roads -- always something new around the next bend!

Hope you don't give up on Greece, and if it's feasible for you, consider renting a car next time.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We also traveled independently in Greece , mainland and islands, by rental car, ferries and airplanes. The Peloponnessean peninsula was incredible. I believe Rick Steves' tours stay on the mainland and encourage travlers to add the islands on their own..He also lists the length of the bus rides.