Reload this Page >

Tatra Mountains, Carpathian Range - Slovakia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 06:02 AM
Angela

I have an opportunity to travel to the Tatra Mountains in Slovakia next summer. The group will be visiting Spis, Vrbov thermal pools, Belianska Jaskyna caves. Hotel stays will be in Beroun. <BR>Has anyone been to this area? What is it like to visit? How did you like it? It is with Oak Hall a Christian Tour company and my choice is now between this area or 10 days in Prague with a couple of local excursions. <BR>Thank you <BR>Angela

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 06:10 AM
xxx

It will depend on your interests but I would go for Prague.

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 10:13 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>Dear Ms Smith, <BR> <BR>I've been to the Spis towns a couple of times, and liked them a lot. They are old and mostly beautiful, and living is cheap. People who walk in and climb mountains say the Tatras are good. You ask what the area is like to visit: I'd say strange, remote, beautiful, interesting. <BR> <BR>I've looked in vain in two guide books for Vrbov, Belianska Jaskyna, and Beroun. I've found before now that English language books on Slovakia are weak at small places, so that these three are missing suggests thatb thy are remote, not that the are a bad place to go. And in fact I bet their delightful. If you use http://www.yahoo.co.uk, and put in "Vrbov travel", "Beroun travel" and so on you may find what I have not. <BR> <BR>You will already have worked it out that your choice is between an energetic holiday among beautiful places seldom visited and a stay in one of Europe's greatest tourist capitals -- a great city. I think I'd opt for the mountains. <BR> <BR>A footnote. I speak from an Episcopalian position, and as you know we try to value and develop both Protestant and Catholic traditions. If Oak Hall is a Protestant group, you may need to encourage them to drop in to the beautiful village churches in the area -- or to walk there yourself in free evenings. Protestants will not relish all that gold, those shrines of the Virgin Mary, those saints gazing up to heaven with soft-boiled eyes, but any civilised person can say that they are well done, and represent a form of devotion. <BR> <BR>You can go to Prague any time. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 01:16 PM
Angela

Thank you so much for the replies. Yes Mr Haines, Oak Hall is a protestant organisation, but I am sure I could be tempted to enter some of the Catholic churches! My interests are very wide, I love to explore beautiful countryside and villages ect off the usual tourist track, but I also enjoy museums and galleries and the usual touristy stuff that the large cities offer. I don't really need a great nightlife, just atmospheric cafes to relax in. As an example two of my favourite areas are the Dordogne and Bavaria. <BR>Angela

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 01:53 PM
alan

Hi! The Tatras are wonderful, stayed there several years ago We stayed at the Grand Hotel in Stary Smokovec. Just a question also. You said yiou were staying in Beroun,the Czech Rep.? We stayed there 2 yrs ago. If yoiu are driving be careful. We were stopped by the Police who spoike no English until we payed the fine on the spot. They gave us a choice between 1000-4000 krs for the fine. We stayed at a large hotel in the center of the city. Don't remember the name but the service was like the old days. Visit Krivoklat Castle if you are there. There is a decent Chineese restaurant there in the center of the town that is up a flight of stairs. Not great but passable if you want something diferent. <BR>enjoy alan

Old Dec 13th, 2000, 06:06 AM
angela

anyone else?