Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tarbert ferry question (Ireland) and new itinerary!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for all the help we've received so far. Here's what we're thinking about now:
Several days in Dublin (business trip), then
Friday: Dublin to Killarney (188 miles); stay in Killarney (either that or Kenmare).
Saturday: Killarney to Dingle; explore Dingle peninsula; back to Killarney (if we have time we'll also drive to Kenmare and back).
Sunday: Killarney to Kilrush via ferry; Kilrush to Loop Head peninsula; explore there for awhile; Loop Head to Ennis; spend night in Ennis.
Monday: Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle & Folk Park (maybe going to a banquet); back to Ennis to spend night.
Tuesday: Flight at noon out of Shannon airport.

Is this possible, or is it too much? We were trying to spend 2 nights in each town, but we also don't want to spend our days backtracking. Also, I've tried to find the ferry schedule and can't. Does anyone know a web site that has the ferry schedule for November 2004?

Thanks very much.
Sherry
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Sorry, I can't help with the ferry sked but you should know that Ennis hosts a new November Trad Irish Music festival. It's only 4-days long but some of the Spring Festival performers told me it's better than the May festival.

The Old Ground Hotel in Ennis opened a new wing this Spring (80-rooms) and they were quite competitive.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:45 PM

http://www.shannonferries.com/timetable/
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:48 PM

The Tarbert / Killimer Ferry info is at www.shannonferries.com
On Sundays from, 1 Oct until 31 Mar,the first ferry from Tarbert departs at 10:30 AM and then there is one every hour ON THE HALF HOUR (11:30, 12:20, 1:30, etc.) until the last, which departs at 19:30 (7:30 PM).

How 'bout:
FRI. Dublin to Kenmare, then on to Killarney. Spend the night.
SAT. Spend a few hours (1 or 2) at EITHER Ross Castle, Muckross or walking in the National Park, and then drive to Dingle Town, and tour Slea Head. Spend the night in Dingle.
SUN: Drive to Tarbert, via Connor Pass. Take the ferry and tour Loop Head. Take in Cliffs if time permits. Spend night in Ennis.
Mon: Pick up Cliffs, if missed on Sunday, then drive back to Bunratty.
The only backtracking here would be the return to Ennis from the Cliffs, on Monday.
A short itinerary like this really doesn't allow you the luxury of spending two nights anywhere, but this routing should save you almost all backtracking.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information. Nedsireland, I did see something about a festival in November, but I can't find many details about it. Do you know where I could find out more about it?. Thanks, Irrover and Italian Chauffer, for the website. And IC, I'll talk to my husband about tweaking the itinerary a little bit. That's very good info you gave me. I can't seem to find Connor Pass on the map. Is that between Tralee and Tarbert?

We had also talked about the option of simply driving to Ennis from Dublin and then taking day trips from there, but I'm not sure if we'd see enough that way. Thanks.
Sherry
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Italian Chauffer: I found Connor Pass, and I was going over your suggestions. The only thing I'm worried about is that Sunday would be a VERY long day. According to aaroadwatch.ie it would take 2 hours/22 minutes to get from Dingle to Kilrush, wait for the ferry, then 45 minutes to get to Loop Head, and then another 1.5 hours to get to Ennis. I assume we'd want to stop at places along the way. Is this too much to do in one day? I'm concerned because everyone keeps talking about how little light we're going to have in November. Is there a place between Dingle and Kilrush that would be better to spend the second night, or would it be better to stay in Dingle? I very much value your insight and experience, so any thoughts you have on this would be very much appreciated.
Thank you, Sherry
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 04:43 AM

Sherry, for Dingle, we stayed at the Shores for 2 nights. It is near Castlegregory and just on the other side of the Conor Pass from Dingle. You will not regret staying here. They even serve great 3 course gourmet dinners for only 25 Euro.

You should have no problems doing Loop Head, Kilkee, Lahinch, the Cliffs, and Bunratty on Sunday & Monday. If you have time, have lunch one noon at Monk's Pub in Ballyvaughan.

Ennis wouldn't be my first choice for places to stay.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Budman! Thanks for your response. Why do you feel Ennis isn't your first choice to stay? Pros/cons? What would be a better place? The reason we're thinking about somewhat bigger towns is because we will be there in November, and I've heard that some of the smaller towns are pretty much closed up by then. Is that correct? We don't need a lot of night life -- we don't even drink -- but we'd like a place where some things are open in the evenings. Do you have some suggestions? Thanks very much.
Sherry
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Sorry, but Ennis didn't do anything for me.

You might want to consider staying in Kilkee/Lahinch/Kilrush on Sunday night while spending that day exploring the peninsula, then on the last day/night do the Cliffs, drive around the Burren, have lunch in Ballyvaughan, then head for Bunratty, check into a B&B, and spend the afternoon/evening touring the castle and folk park, along with last minute shopping at the large mill across the street. I would recommend Kathleen's for dinner if you don't do the Medieval Banquet.

I would give yourself an hour at the duty free shop at the airport.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:03 AM

Nov. Ennis festival can be found at http://www.ennistradfestival.com/

It was great fun last year and the locals prefer it over the more touristy may event because it has better music.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Hi Sherry:

To me, the long day would be Dublin to Killarney, especially if you are going to fit Kenmare in. The hours of daylight are limited at that time of year. The roads are pretty good, but you do get to go through Limerick which provides a good opportunity or two to get lost. If you stop once or twice enroute, it is likely you will arive at or near dark. You certainly won't get to see much of the area around Killarney. I would not go to Kenmare just to say I had been there. Either stay there or skip it.

That said, the Dingle to Ennis day is pretty long too. Budman's idea to stay at the Shores is a good one. She closes near the end of November so make sure that you make reservations. You will save some time leaving from the north shore of the peninsula and Annette will make your stay very enjoyable.

The times listed for touring those backroads around Loophead are probably inaccurate and you'll want to stop and get out a lot. If you do Loophead, I like Budman's idea to stay in Kilkee. At that time of year though, Ennis will have more going on at night. I don't know any B&Bs in the Ennis area that come highly recommended. The trad festival in Ennis looks fantastic. It runs from 11-15 Nov.

Whatever you do, it should be fun.

Bill
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 11:20 AM

Hey Budman:

I emailed Mary Ann's in Castletownsend and they siad they don't always have the banoffee. They did say if I let them know when I will be there, they will have one ready for me. Gotta love the Irish.

Bill
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Bill, now, that's the Irish for you -- I'm just happy to be Irish After Dark.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 11:55 AM

mmm, yes, you've made me thirsty lad (or is that tirsty?).
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 12:52 PM

Too much for one day? Possibly, but it would be a shame to miss something so close. While the days are short, bear in mind that early stops, due to dark will make early departures more palatable. You might want to play it by ear -- make the decision about Loop Head based on how you feel and what time it actually is once you get to Kilrush. That is how I personally schedule each of my days. Weather can play a big part in all decisions, of course. Connor Pas is spectacular, but not when visibility is under 15 feet! Ditto for scenic drives like Loop Head.
The drive from Dublin is a long day, too, but I wouldn't drive to Killarney via Limmerick. I would take the N8 to Mitchelstown and the N72 (through Mallow) to Killarney. Kenmare probably is out of reach, but that N71 drive from Kenmare to Killarney is one pretty drive. Again, flexibility is the key.
The N8 route gives you the "luxury" of seeing the Rock of Cashel, enroute, though you might not want to spend too much time there.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 05:25 PM

Bill and Budman, I'll bite. I'm going to Maryann's for banoffee, but if it has bananas in it, I don't think I will like it. Bill, would you let her know we'll stop in sometime around the middle of October and to please have some on hand!
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for taking the time to help us. The information we've gotten on this board is incredible. Slowly but surely, we're narrowing down our plans. Just a month ago, I had no idea if Dublin was in East/North/South/West Ireland, and I've done so much research and gotten so much advice from you all that now my husband and I can start to make halfway intelligent choices about what we're going to do.

So, here are 3 possible itineraries (after spending 4/5 days in Dublin). Any advice is welcome.

#1: Friday, November 12 - Dublin to Killarney; stay at Earl's Court House in Killarney.
Saturday - Explore Dingle Peninsula; stay at The Shores in Castlegregory
Sunday - Drive to Kilrush, then explore Loop Head Peninsula; stay at Hillcrest View B&B, Kilrush
Monday - Cliffs of Moher; Bunratty Castle & Folk Park; medieval banquet; stay in Ennis at Temple Gate Hotel or in Bunratty.
Tuesday - Shannon airport; home

#2 (less driving, more 'exploring' time:
Friday, Dublin to Ballyvaughan; stay there.
Saturday - Cliffs of Moher, Loop Head Peninsula, Kilrush; stay at Hillcrest View B&B
Sunday; Drive to Ennis, explore Bunratty Castle & Folk Park; do banquet; stay Ennis or Bunratty.
Monday; ? Explore Ennis (music festival) & anything else we want (maybe the Burren).
Tuesday: Shannon airport, home

#3: Friday - Dublin to Westport
Saturday - Cilffs of Moher, stay in Kilrush.
Sunday - Loop Head Peninsula; drive to Ennis.
Monday - Bunratty Castle; banquet
Tuesday - Shannon airport, home

Thanks so much. Sherry
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 03:58 PM

I like #1 only because Dingle is a "must see," and staying at the Shores, if you can get a reservation, is top-notch.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 04:25 PM

#3 makes for a very long day, two days in a row. I vote for #1, if the weather is clear and #3if it is rainy. (It could be either, that time of year)
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 04:57 PM

In response to an earlier post, and in reference to your itinerary #1:
The Bord Failte web-site route planner shows departure from Castlegregory to Ennis, via Tarbert, Limmerick, Killimer, Kilbaha (Loop Head) and Doolin as 232.47 miles, which they say will take you 6 hours and 23 minutes. My math says that is a 35.76 MPH average.
That is assuming that you do not take the ferry. Subtracting the Tarbert to Limmerick, and Limmerick to Killimer mileage (85.84 Miles), taking the ferry should drop the driving mileage to 146.63. At their 35.76 MPH figure, the drive time should work out to 4.1 hours, plus the crossing time (20-25 minutes)and any wait time that you might incurr if you arrive in Tarbert between trips. Worst case would be 1 hour. Total drive time is 5.6 hours, without stops (other than the wait at Tarbert.

Factoring in stops, it WOULD be a VERY long and Ambitious undertaking, but if you already had reservations booked and you were willing to start early, you could visit the Cliffs right about sunset, before heading on to Ennis. True the drive from the Cliffs/Doolin would be after dark, but it is only about 20-25 miles, you'll have a few days' experience under your belt, and it would make your last day much less hectic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -