Taormina with kids?

Search

Taormina with kids?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taormina with kids?

Our family of four (kids aged 5 and 2) is thinking about spending 6 days or so in eastern Sicily in April (we are Americans living in Rome). I am incined to be based in Taormina as there is plenty to see and do in the town itself, the botanical gardens, etc., and beaches just down the funicular, as I understand it. What do you all think? Where would be the best place for a family to stay in Taormina? grazie
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 08:16 PM

I was in Taormina two summers ago. I would suggest staying at a place ON the beach, because the funicular is not something you would want to go up and down several times a day- besides, you have to pay for it...If anyone is afraid of heights- like me- not a good experience- it is a gondola-type of contraption and very, very, very steep!!! And with younger kids the beach would probably be preferable. My daughters were older and we went to Mt. Etna for the day via a bus, but, for awhile I was investigating a train that goes all around it. Additionally, there was a pretty place just south of Taormina called Nax...Gardeni..something- it looked like a possibility for family- friendly lodging.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 11:07 PM

Giardini Naxos is the name of the beach resort just below Taormina.