Taormina - hotels

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 07:30 AM
Diane

Taormina - hotels

My fiance and I are looking into spending 4-5 days in Taormina for our honeymoon and would welcome any recommendations on hotels to stay at. We are looking for something romantic and close to the city and beaches or at least accessable my car or taxi. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 08:33 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Diane, When are you going and what price <BR>range do you want? Taormina has dozens of hotels, and some can be expensive during the season.

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 08:13 AM
Bob

Dear Bob, <BR> <BR>Thank you for your reply. We are going in August and would like to stay at a higher end hotel, since it is our honeymoon. any suggestions would be appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 01:30 PM
Bridget

The Hotel Belvedere in Taoromina with <BR>views of the Sea as well as Mt. Etna was a lovely choice for us two years ago. The hotel has a swimming pool and serves a very nice breakfast, but there is no restaurant. It is a 5-10 minute walk to the town itself. The hotel does have private parking for guests.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 05:10 AM
Patrick

We also stayed at the Belvedere and loved it, but it is not what most would call a "luxury" hotel. It is old, fairly charming, but rather spartan in furnishings and decor. If you are really looking for a more upscale place, I thought the much newer hotel next door looked very nice (albeit a little more comtemporary "cookie cutter" in appearance). It used to be a Jolly, but believe it no longer is. I am looking for my info on Sicily, but can't seem to find it right now. There is also a very nice hotel a little further up the hill near the entrance to the amphitheatre. This is what really looks like the perfect luxury honeymoon place. Anyone help us with the name of that one? On the other hand, if you want a lower budget place, you can't do better than the Belvedere. I used a picture I took from our bedroom window for about a year as my desktop background and sighed every time the computer came on. Taormina is a great place. Can't think of a better spot for a honeymoon. Good luck.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 07:23 AM
Terry

We were Taormina for our honeymoon in September and it was just perfect. We stayed in the Grand Albergo Capotaormina <BR> <BR>http://taol.taormina-ol.it/capotao/eng/frmst_e.htm <BR> <BR>Which had its own private beach and lovely seawater swimming pool. It was also possible to swim off the rocks. The dining room has a wonderful view of Mount Etna in the morning. The rooms were lovely and very comfortable (with air conditioning) and a huge balcony overlooking the sea. And best of all, because we were honeymooners we received a basket of fruit and a bottle of Asti Spumante on our arrival. <BR> <BR>The hotel is not within walking distance of the town, but they do run a free shuttle bus to and from the town. This service finishes early, but it is easy enough to get a bus or taxi back. <BR> <BR>The grandest hotel in Taormina is the Grand Hotel Timeo, which is right beside the Greek Theatre in the centre of the town and looked absolutely lovely. <BR> <BR>I can't think of a nicer place to honeymoon - certainly all our memories of Taormina are blissful. Have a wonderful time and mail me if you want any more details.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 01:40 PM
Patrick

Yes, thank you, Terry, the Grand Hotel Timeo is the one I was thinking of. I'd think it would be the perfect honeymoon spot, and personally I'd much rather stay up in the town than way down on the beach.