Reload this Page >

Tangiers: Would you or wouldn't you?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 1999, 02:42 AM
arline

We're spending a week in Marbella, Spain (Costa del Sol)as our base (2 weeks from now) and driving to many locales for day trips. Should we bother "forfeiting" a day to take the speed ferry to Tangiers? Most of the few references I've seen have been rather negative about Tangiers ("dirty, not worth the bother, be extremely cautious, etc."). Please give me your opinion asap as we're leaving for Spain in a week!! Thank you.

Old Mar 28th, 1999, 03:14 AM
Maira

Go only if you can ensure the following: <BR> <BR> - that you will be part of a group; an organized legitimate tour company (preferably purchased thru a hotel). <BR> - that you will go with an open mind about other countries's social and living conditions (only way to make it an educational experience). <BR> - that at the market, you will be very cautious with money and in staying with the group. <BR> <BR>If you can ensure ALL of above, make the trip. You probably won't go back, but will be glad you did it at least once. For what is worth, I came back with a deep appreciation of many things taken for granted.

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 05:34 AM
kristi

I asked the same question when we went to Spain last year and was advised not to bother. My husband, however, really wanted to go so we went with an organized tour via ferry. I thought it was a waste of a day (we were gone from 5am to 11pm but since you are out of Marbella the day would be a bit shorter for you). Tangier was dirty, the tours groups get herded through the city, people follow you around trying to get you to buy things. All of the tour buses went to exactly the same places and I felt like we were being hustled the whole time we were there. My opinion is, with all of the other wonderful places you can see in Southern Spain, that a day trip to Tangier is a waste. <BR> <BR>If you do decide to go, take Maira's advice-do it with a group, stay with them at all times, don't wear flashy jewelry and if you're not interested in purchasing something, whether it be a trinket or a rug, do not encourage the seller.

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 08:56 AM
elvira

We spent two weeks in Morocco, and Tangiers was NOT the high point. It's a rather dirty port city, and doesn't have the real feel of Morocco; don't go to Tangiers if you are going no further into the country. You'll come away with a negative impression of the country.

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 12:56 AM
Kathy

<BR>My absolute favorite country in the world in Morocco. The three weeks I spent there was like a trip back in time...so exciting!!! It made every other country I have been to seen so dull and "American" in comparison. However, I avoided Tangiers and we never went there. We crossed from Spain to Morocco at Cueta (not sure of the spelling...it's a Spanish enclave in Morocco and then we quickly went on to Teutuan). I had heard Tangiers was just a tourist trap. Someday go to the *real Morocco*!

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 08:51 PM
Wendy

I have and won't again. Too bad - it was a waste of a day and left a really bad feeling for Morocco in general. What you might want to do instead (what I now wish I had done) is get a two or three day tour to Fez or Marrakech that flies you directly into these cities. <BR> <BR>You said "we," I hope that includes a man because I went with a girlfriend and we were harrassed and threatened endlessly. <BR> <BR>However, I have to echo kristi's advice, that there are other really wonderful things to do and see in Spain.

Old Mar 31st, 1999, 03:16 AM
arline

Thank you all for taking the time to answer. The decision has been made quite easily with the consensus of this group!! There ARE many other wonderful things to see and do in the southern part of Spain and I'm so glad that you all confirmed my suspicions from what I had previously heard.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 03:16 AM
Jill

Kathy,<BR><BR>My husband and I are going this spring and I was wondering if you could give me some advice since yo went for 3 weeks and loved it. We’re going to be there for 8 days or so. What were your favorite cities? Do you have any recommendations of hotels, restaurants, or experiences that we shouldn’t miss? Do you know anything about the desert trek?<BR>

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 06:27 AM
adams

There was a thread on this forum several months ago, where one traveller had a good experience by hiring a private travel guide, as opposed to being part of a group. The traveller gave the name of the guide and how to contact. I think most other posters, including myself, have considered the day-trip to Tangiers negatively.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 01:56 AM
xxxx

High alert on Al-Queda terrorist cells lurking along the northern Moroccan coast looking for opportunity to attack U.S. warships that frequently use/cross the area. Beware.