Tallinn For a Day

Search

Tallinn For a Day

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tallinn For a Day

We will be in port in Tallin for a full day. We plan to walk from the cruise port to the Upper Town, explore the Upper Town, have a look at Kadriorg Palace (just the outside and gardens) and then walk down to explore the Lower Town before heading back to the ship. I am having a problem finding an adequate walking tour map for Tallinn. Can someone please advise approximately how many miles or kilometers such a walking tour would encompass? I have read that we could take a taxi from the port to the Upper Town and start from there. What would be an appropriate landmark to give the taxi driver as our drop off point in the Upper Town to begin our walk?
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 07:26 PM
hsv

Tallinn's Old Town is very compact. I estimate a walking tour would not exceed some 3 km (< 2 miles).
If you want to take a cab to Upper Town, you could start in Lossi Plats, where you are between the cathedral and the castle.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 07:35 PM
hsv

Excellent info can be found at inyourpocket.
The most current guide is here:
http://www.inyourpocket.com/data/download/tallinn.pdf

From p. 64 onwards the main sights are described and their map locations indicated. Just mark them and your walking tour will come together.

Their website (also useful for other cities in the region):
http://www.inyourpocket.com/
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 12:49 AM

meggies, check if your cruise ship are providing a shuttle bus from the dock to the centre of the town.

I was on a cruise ship in June with one day in Tallinn and a shuttle took us to the town centre (we were docked about a 15 min bus ride from the centre). There were representatives from the tourist office to meet the ship and handed out maps of the town. It is not a very big town and we walked from the old town to the upper town and back down again in about 2 hours.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you hsv and cambe. Would the two hours have allowed time to get a look at Kadriorg, at least a view of the grounds and the outside of the palace? I imagine a trek out there will add to the miles covered also, since it appears to be a 15 minute walk each way, according to the "In Your Pocket" pages I have printed. I have printed the maps also, though they print up a jumbled assortment of streets and names of sights that I am sure will all make more sense after research. Thank you so much, both of you, for pointing me in the right direction.