Search

Talking on a cellphone whilst driving.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:16 PM
AR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking on a cellphone whilst driving.

A new law came into force in the UK on December 1st where it is now illegal to drive whilst holding a mobile phone. The driver must pull over to a safe and legal parking spot and turn the engine off before making a non-hands free call (and that doesn't include placing the phone between your chin and shoulder!).
Surely we can't be the only country to recognise the dangers of this, but it has taken until yesterday to make it illegal!
What are the other countries laws?
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:21 PM

In NY State it is against the law to use a mobile while driving, unless you have yourself hooked up to the handsfree stuff. I always tend to get tangled up in it all~
I thought years ago-like 6 or 7- that it was illegal in England to drive with a phone in your hand..
It should be illegal everywhere..my son has a friend permanently disabled from being hit head on by a man who crossed over into oncoming traffic because he was busy dialing his mobile.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:28 PM

Still legal in Ontario, but people are pushing for legislation. Bravo to the UK and NY State. Scarlett's story says it all.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:31 PM

How about eating or drinking hot coffee while driving?
How about dancing to the radio and flinging your head in rhythm to the music?
How about talking or arguing or kissing your passenger while driving?

There are alot of things which distract a driver.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:34 PM
AR
Original Poster

Actually nocinonut, I agree with you. So obviously do the car companies that now have the radio/CD controls on the steering wheel.
As for dancing etc. - I now leave my air-guitar at home.
And arguing? My wife's words just become a blur.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 01:38 PM

It is illegal in Belgium as well, for some time already. It is OK to use the phone with a handsfree set.
I only partly agree that driving & holding a phone is dangerous. IMO talking on the phone and concentrate on the conversation is the most dangerous part.
No policeman will stop me while I'm eating whilst driving (or trying to find something on the bottom of my purse!) which is as dangerous as holding a mobile phone.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 03:33 PM
JonJon

Actually these "laws" will remain totally worthless until they start being rigidly enforced..has that happened yet..and will it ever happen?

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 03:42 PM

It's illegal in Australia to talk on a mobile phone unless it's hands-free. A girl was given a suspended sentence last week for TEXT MESSAGING while driving and she ran into and permanently disabled a person!!! Why isn't it illegal to talk to a passenger - it's just as distracting!
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:29 PM

Agree that hands-free should be a law, I know it is in Germany.

My gripes are a little different and driving home the other day from VA, (10 hours....) I decided it's bad enough if you're eating a burger and driving - but anything that requires a plate and utensil should DEFINITELY be illegal.

Drinking out of cans is tough - have to tilt your head too far back - using a straw is much safer.

I don't even know if there are laws pending here in Mass.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:32 PM

Recently sighted in the greater NY area,
a man driving with a cigarette in one hand and trying to read a map in the other.
a woman talking on her mobile, looking into her visor mirror at the same time.
Then there is the lady with the big brown dog, who hangs out the window of her car, while she gets hopelessly tangled in the handsfree wires and practically hangs herself when she turns her head to tell the pup to get his head in the window while she makes a turn. No pedestrians were harmed.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 05:49 PM

Was caught in Thanksgiving traffic not once, not twice, but three times these last few days. HOURS spent in traffic moving like molasses. I had to put on a Hispanic station with mariachi music or go bonkers! So I danced and danced and danced until the springs in the driver's seat protested. Yes, my head, arms, elbows, upper body, and free leg were moving like crazy. They were the only things moving.

Hope no one bans dancing in one's car!
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:36 PM

It's been illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving in France for some time now, and as far as I can tell it's pretty well enforced.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:02 PM

Will they allow bluetooth?
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 09:01 PM

Its illegal in Switzerland and my girlfriend got a ticket for it a couple of years ago.

Her son was acting up in the back seat, and she told him she was calling Santa to say he had been bad. Apparently a policeman saw her, and she didn't fess up that it was a FAKE call because of her son in the back seat!

I can understand why texting is illegal - that really takes your eyes off the road. Dont know how they would catch you doing it.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 09:44 PM
AR
Original Poster

The general public opinion in the UK is to say fair enough to the ban. Remember, we have had to put up with completely over-zealous policing with speed cameras for the last few years (one every 5 miles by the end of the decade and all proceeds from fines go back to the police, hence why they are set to trigger very few miles an hour above the speed limit) - so you'd think that the public would be wary of any further police laws.
Bluetooth and other hands free kits are legal and to start with the law will not be enforced with a fine but a "ticking off". The problem in the UK is that just about everyone talks on their phone whilst driving at some time or other. The driving and safety authorities wanted a total ban on all communication devices in car (pray to God that includes the wife). However, that would include police radios and they have said that they are far too competent drivers to allow that. It's just the rest of us that's useless (do as I say and not as I do is the UK police motto, not that I'm bitter).
I have installed a small holder on the driver's door as I have a Nokia with loudspeaker facility. I still press the keys but dont ever hold the phone, therefore this beats the law. You can still be fined for careless driving however you used your phone if you are in an accident or seen driving erratically.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 11:29 PM

Just don't do it. Why everybody has to phone on their mobiles while driving defeats me. I look forward to my driving - uncontactable with smooth classics playing on moderate volume. If I had accidently left my phone on I think I would throw it out of the window if it rang.

I once had a boss who said I was uncontactable all over the weekend and that I didn't have my phone turned on. I refuted saying it was turned on all the time. So we went out to my car where he phoned my mobile and indeed a ring tone could be heard coming from the trunk of my car.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 12:23 AM

It is illegal to use a cell phone while driving in Malaysia. Hands free devices are permitted (though seem to be just as dangerous because the user is invariably holding the microphone bit with one hand anyway).

Malaysia is completely backwards though. Cell phones are bad while driving, but only front seat passengers need use their seatbelts, and pregnant women are exempt! It is perfectly legal to let children free in the backseat, or even use them as airbags in the front. Go figure!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 01:38 AM

To those people that think that there is no difference to driving whilst holding a mobile phone and dancing to the radio, please remember that 95% of cars in the UK and Europe have manual gears and a stick shift. Hence, when you are driving with one hand holding a phone, the other is invariably changing gear. What exactly should you use to hold the wheel? (Answers on a postcard please).
ps, I've sent this message on my laptop whilst driving in the fast lane of the M25 at 90mph.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 02:06 AM

In Ireland, thankfully, a complete ban on mobile phone usage whilst driving will be coming into effect next year. But our guys are going the full hog and banning hands-free usage as well. They reckon that driver concentration is affected because of the conversation, not the act of holding the phone. How this will be implemented is beyond me. What if I'm singing along to my favourite cd? Or worse, talking to myself? And surely having a chat with one or more of your passengers demands as much concentration.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 02:55 AM

Technically eating / drinking / looking for things in the bottom of you bag / talking to a passenger and dancing to the radio are all-illegal and can lead to prosecution. If the Police believe that a driver engaged in this activities are effecting your driving in any way then you can be stopped, in the UK it is called 'driving with out due care and attention' and has a wide interpretation. Although this is usually the offence you are charged with after an accident. This new law attempts to stop accidents before they happen. In England it will get you a £30 on the spot fine and will not be enforced for two months, but in Scotland they have already charged over 10 cases in its first 24 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -