Reload this Page >

Taking Wife to English Football

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 03:31 PM
Rob

<BR>American planning to go to my first English Football match (Tottenham Hotspur v. Newcastle at White Hart Lane). Would like to bring my wife? Good or bad idea? What should I watch out for? What are the Tottenham colors?

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 11:31 PM
Sheila

It should not be a problem. If you have any concerns, book a ticket in the stand. Be prepared for worse language than you are used to at American football matches. <BR> <BR>I can't remember ( being a Scot) what Spurs colours are. Someone else will tell you or I'm sure they have a web site. Newcastle is Black and White. I would suggest you don't wear colours anyway. If there is a problem, which I'm sure there won't be, it's better not to be seen to be partisan. <BR> <BR>Enjoy the game <BR>

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 11:46 PM
Tony Hughes

Spurs play in all white at home (white hart lane), newcastle in black and white stripes a la Juventus of Turin. <BR> <BR>Tottenham have a large Jewish following, violence is minimal and is usually saved for international matches <BR> <BR>all you should watch for is the 22 guys kicking a pigs bladder around. <BR> <BR>enjoy the game

Old Jul 24th, 1999, 04:59 AM
Rob

<BR>Thanks for the posts. Now that I'm comfortable, I'm excited to go. Particularly to see a "pig's bladder get kicked around." What is that all about?!!

Old Jul 27th, 1999, 08:28 AM
Diana

Rob: <BR> <BR>A: Let me just say that I'm jealous...I wish I was going to a *real* football game! <BR> <BR>And B: "Kicking a pigs bladder around" is just another way of saying "soccer ball", as early balls were made from pigs bladders! <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip!! <BR> <BR>Diana

Old Jul 28th, 1999, 06:37 PM
Kate

Rob, as an American female, I went to a football game (England v. Chile) and had a wonderful time. Yes, you'll hear some bad words of course, so if you or the wife don't like bad language, this might bother you. It didn't bother me, and I witnessed no violence. The atmosphere was incredible ... the crowd response, the songs ... I'd go back again in a heartbeat. Enjoy.