Reload this Page >

Taking the "English" out of England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 02:59 PM
sandi

If you want to meet, or learn something about the English, don't go to London..there are but a very few there.. mostly immigrants from Pakistan, Africa, and other places that form the remnants of what used to be the "British" empire. You must go north, or west to the country to get even a taste of things "British". Yes, the monuments are there, and the working stiffs running about of week days, but come Friday, everyone who can gets on a train and goes to their home in the country.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 06:35 PM
Cindy

Sandi, <BR> <BR>What is the point you are trying to make? I'm really lost. Surely you are not saying that one must go outside London to find honest-to-goodness legitimate British people with pretty white skin instead of all of those darn brown-skinned foreigners? That can't be what you have in mind. Clearly, I'm missing something. Please help me out here.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 08:41 AM
sandi

I mean that if you go to London to experience things "english" and "English" people, meaning like the ones in the books, or movies, they are not there...it is mostly immigrants, speaking some other language..the city is totally innudated with foreigners..meaning "FROM OTHER COUNTRIES rather than "Born there". White skin or NO. most native born are elsewhere. So there are many ethnic restaurants, clubs, show, etc., and that is nice, but not ENGLISH in the traditional way...and tradition used to be a great cultural factor in Britain. No predjudice intended, but London is not and "English" city,..very few English (cacausian) live in the city. Why must people like you put an angry twist on everything?

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 08:58 AM
xx

i don't think its Cindy putting an angry twist on anything. I think you've either put the stupid post on this board or are just trying to start something. Really a major city has foreigners? So if i go looking for "real" Americans in New York will i not find them as well, do i have to go into the country to find them? Give me a break.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 09:35 AM
Cindy

Sandi wrote: <BR> <BR>"No predjudice intended, but London is not and [sic] "English" city,..very few English (cacausian)[sic] live in the city." <BR> <BR>So I guess that means that if one is not Caucasian, one is not English. I guess I understood Sandi perfectly well the first time.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 09:51 AM
englishasafirst

sandi has responded on other posts, and now has started his own vicious post because he has not successfully stirred up the level of vitriol he thought he would. <BR> <BR>Based on syntax, misuse of idioms, misspellings and unbridled misogyny, it is apparent he is an immigrant himself, living in an English speaking country, and probably from one of the countries he is attacking. <BR> <BR>Most likely, he's recently out of school and unable to find work, or unable to keep any job he's found. He resents that his female relatives (sisters and/or wife) are more successful in the business world, and no longer are around to take the servant role to which he is accustomed. In a booming economy, he is dependent upon other household members to support him. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 09:55 AM
ilisa

I didn't realize that caucasion equals English. Silly me, and I thought all these years I was American. Anyway, Sandi, your post reeks of racism and xenophobia. Why would you post it if you didn't mean anything by it? The diversity of the people of London is what makes the city so vibrant. I suspect its citizens would disagree with your narrow view of the world.