Taking Photos in Rome...please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I am preparing to go to Rome in less than a month and am looking at all of the places I want to visit. However, I don't know if they allow photography in all of these places. If you could help me out, I would appreciate it!
1. Colosseum
2. Pantheon
3. St. Peter's Basilica
4. Vatican Museums (other than Sistine Chapel)

I appreciate any help!
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 01:49 PM

Colosseum: Yes both in and out
Pantheon: Yes, both in and out
St. Peter's: No flash inside (I'm almost positive on this one)
Vatican: No flash anywhere and some guards get nervous even seeing the cameras out in the Sistine but I saw lots of people taking photos without flash while in there.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 02:10 PM

Flashing seems to be ok in St. Peters (only the camera kind of flashing!)
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 02:18 PM

You will be chastised for having a camera at all in the Sistine Chapel. You cannot even take a picture with your camera phone.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 04:48 PM

They are very strict in the Sistina - they have to be because there are so many ignorants who do not know (or do not care) that the strong light of the flash harms the frescoes. One single flash wouldn't matter, but thousands every day definitely would. Believe an art historian. Since no one can tell in advance how intelligent and careful the camera holder is, there is no other way to protect this precious masterpiece than forbidding photos alltogether.

In the rest of the Vatican museum you can take photos, but again the flash is a no-no. The museum rooms are full of frescoes and tapestries, which are even more sensitive to light. Please do not contribute to their destruction.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 03:33 AM

Most, but by no means all, places will allow photos or videos. Some will only allow photos but no videos (Ara Pacis). Others will allow video but no photos. Some do not allow either. In most cases the rules are posted at the entry.

As others have said, never use flash around art works. It really does harm them. You'll be amazed at how good of a picture you can take without a flash.

Practice with changing shutter speeds, aperture and ASA. That is the beauty of digital, you can take tons of shots without paying for development. Just walk around your house and yard at different times and in different lighting conditions taking pictures. Keep a log of light conditions and the settings you used. Then pick out the 5 or 6 that fit most needs.

What many people don't realize is that a flash is usually only good for objects less than 7 meters away. Anything beyond that, you are just draining batteries for nothing.

dave
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 04:33 AM

You can't take photos in the Sistine Chapel for financial reasons. A Japanese conglomerate paid for its renovation and cleaning back in the 1990s. As part of their deal, the conglomerate received all photography rights to the chapel. Only the conglomerate can take (and sell) photos of the chapel. People who sneak photos are violating this agreement
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 04:48 AM

Hello ndo6532,

i'm roman, in Rome we have lot to take pictures, anyway for the view i suggest

For high view of Rome reach this places:

Zodiaco
Gianicolo
Pincio
Campidoglio
Monte Mario
Palatino

Artistic:

Fontana de Trevi
Trinità dei Monti (Spanish square)
Teatro Marcello
Ara Pacis
Castel S.Angelo

Roman Empire:

Foro Romano
Mercati Traiani
Circo Massimo
Ostia antica

Outside Rome:
Frascati
Nemi
Castel Gandolfo (Vatican)

I can write much more but i think in Rome is easy to take pics to..

All the Best

Mauro

Old Feb 16th, 2008, 07:21 AM

If you gotta take pictures in Rome, I would suggest you ask Monica for advice. She has the knack of taking absolutely great pictures. It's a talent I wish I had.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 07:36 AM

I am pretty sure you can take pictures in St. Peter's Basilica. I remember asking our tour guide if I could take pictures, and he said yes. I was surprised because of all the artwork in there. He told us the artwork is actually glass mosiacs of paintings, and that is why the flashes don't harm the pieces. Maybe he was full of it, but I did take pictures and didn't get in any trouble!
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 08:17 AM

You rarely actually NEED a flash when inside most of these sites, churches and museums. There is sufficient ambient lighting - which makes for a much nicer photo anyway. Flash is too harsh. Most digital cameras should have an "Indoor" setting you can switch to, and be sure to set the auto-flash to OFF. Try using the timer function to snap the photo so you aren't pressing the camera down as you take the photo.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

I have heard of Castel Gandolfo, and was wondering where it is located and its significance?
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM

Castel Gandalfo has been the Pope's country place for more than 400 years.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the compliment Waldo!

Monica