Reload this Page >

Taking my mom to England

Search

Taking my mom to England

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 08:39 PM
Rosalie

Taking my mom to England

I am planning a trip to England for myself and my mom within the next 2 years. What would be the best time to go when the weather is warm but it's not overrun with tourists? (Is there any such time?) Also, can you suggest some good websites or starting points for me to find a good package deal? Many thanks in advance.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:24 PM
Ben Haines

I am sorry I cannot offer websites.<BR><BR>A good time, on your line of thought, is from 28 April to mid June, and from mid September to mid October.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to England.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 01:02 AM
Marissa

I wish I had someone like Ben Haines to show me around London when I was there in September...It could have turned me around from not liking, to liking London very much...You really need to let Tony Blair know that you are the man for the job!!!<BR>Cheers,<BR>Marissa

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 03:32 AM
Ben Haines

Marissa?s kind note leads me to add that another way to enjoy London is to omit the so called must sees, and go instead to less known spots, not at any time crowded with tourists. A recent correspondence has spoken of the charms of Dulwich and Forest Hill. I have on disc two files about such places, which I shall gladly e-mail to you if you so ask. You will forgo a photo of your mother under Big Ben, but gain much in return.<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 04:37 AM
Abbi

Rosalie,<BR>Two websites to start you off:<BR><BR>&gt;&gt;www.citynetguide.co.uk/city.php3?city=london&lt;&lt;<BR><BR>&gt;&gt;www.londontown.com&lt;&lt;

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 05:10 AM
PatrickW

For what to see while you're here, you could try the 'official' sites:<BR><BR>www.londontouristboard.com/<BR><BR>London Transport's Real London guides:<BR>www.londontransport.co.uk/tfl/rl_home.shtml

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 03:24 PM
ginny

The British Tourist Authority is a good place to start. Visit them at http://www.visitbritain.com/ <BR><BR>You can call or e-mail them to send you an information package! <BR><BR>As for a good time to go...I like April/May or mid-late September to early October!!!!

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 04:06 PM
nancy

I was in London the last week of May, 1999 and for 3 more weeks driving around England. I thought that time of year was great because it stayed light until about 10:00 pm and I didn't feel it was too crowded anywhere. Also, I only opened my umbrella once. And, it was not cold. If you're willing to drive outside London (not really that bad with a decent navigator) you can see a lot. If you like my trip report, please e-mail me directly. It was such a great trip.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 06:31 PM
Mavis

I've taken my mother twice to England and I have to say it has been one of the nicest, funnest (?), loveliest things we've ever done together. I don't know your ages (last time we went I was 44, she was 62) but I found that London was a bit tiring for her, although she loves museums, the theatre, shopping, etc. I think it was all the people and she does get claustrophic so the tube was a bit much at rush hour. So I didn't plan hectic days in London, just one thing each day that I knew we'd both enjoy and then lots of time for people-watching in parks, long meals and one night of theatre, the rest in the afternoon.<BR><BR>Our best times were in the countryside, where we rented cottages and could pretend that we lived there, really getting into the rhythms of village life. We rented a car and although I've driven in England many times on my own, I think it's the best way to have the maximum freedom with the minimum of fuss. <BR><BR>On the two different trips we stayed a week in self-catering cottages in each of: Cornwall, Kent, the Cotswolds and North Wales. We both love gardens and grand estates so did a lot of that (purchasing a British Heritage Pass), plus pub lunches or picnics, alternating dinners and eating in our cottage.<BR><BR>Have lots of info. on cottage rentals, estates to see/avoid, great cities to see (Bath, Oxford, etc.), tips, etc. If you'd like to contact me directly I would love to help you.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 06:33 PM
Mavis

Sorry, didn't say that first trip we went in May, quite warm but gardens were lovely, and then in September - also warm, gardens not quite as great. Would never travel to England in July or August and would even think twice about June (unless you were avoiding London). Will round up some of the websites we used to plan our trip.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:13 AM
k

People gave you some great research websites, so I'll just add some sites with package deals to try:<BR><BR>www.go-today.com<BR>www.britishairways.com<BR>www.virgina tlantic.com<BR>www.offpeaktraveler.com<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR><BR>Karen

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Kelley

I'm taking my mom to England in May, along with 2 good friends of hers. I agree with Mavis and am renting a car and going to the countryside. I visited the Cotswolds area over a year ago and loved it. My mom's one of those that would be happy to take a break and relax and read an Agatha Christie mystery, so we're getting a self-catering in a central location (maybe Cheltneham?) so we can do day trips to Stratford, Warwick, Oxford, and Bath. I think London is a trip on its own, so I'm opting for the &quot;see the quintessential England&quot; instead. You're smart to start early! It's January and I still haven't decided on an intinerary. Last time we went was early October and we had some beautiful, cool days. Good luck!

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Kelley

So sorry, that's Cheltenham. Spelling never has been one of my strong points.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Rich

Hi Rosalie,<BR>There is more to Britain than London.<BR>London is dreadful at any time of the year, but places like the Cotswolds and Cornwall are nice especially inSummer, however avoid first 2 weeks of school E/July it calms down a bit after that. <BR>But S

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Rich

oops as I was saying..... but July and September are great as the kids are in school.<BR>You really should consider Wales, it is really beautiful and even though most Americans think Wales is in England it is actually its own country. Cardiff is a lovely City and there is lots to see and do. West wales is beautiful and unspoilt, and it does not always rain, Honestly.<BR>If you need some help with Wales I would be only too pleased to oblige.<BR><BR>Regards<BR><BR>Rich

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:33 AM
PatrickW

Depending on how much time you have, you might want to consider a weekend in the Isle of Wight - only a few hours from London, but a trip over water to get there, and a mixture of seaside, countryside with picture-postcard villages as well as wills, a castle or two. It may be a bit over-busy in the high summer months, and I wouldn't call it a must-see cultural experience, but it's sometimes called 'England in miniature' and could be a concentrated way to see something more than just London.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:34 AM
PatrickW

hills, not wills, what is my typing like...

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget Wales, Scotland and Ireland!! <BR><BR>Try visiting Cardiff, or Edinburgh - these places are modern Capital cities, with pleanty to see and do.<BR><BR>Hope you enjoy your stay in Britain!!
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 10:31 AM

Trevor, why are you topping a thread that's over 2 months old? Do you really imagine that Rosalie is still checking for replies?
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 09:30 PM

For what' it worth....airfares are lower Jan-Mar, Oct-Dec. Have done London both March and Oct...had wonderful weather both times, and missed the summer rush.....With the gas thing....who knows where prices will be!! Also contact the travel desk at British Air...they have some good packages....call their office in NYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -