TAKING KIDS INTO PUBS

Mar 12th, 2001, 03:20 AM
Shelley

TAKING KIDS INTO PUBS

We will be spending ten days touring Bath, Cotswolds, Salisbury, York and London with two kids (ages 12 and 15). Are there any rules about taking children these ages into pubs? Do we need to keep them a certain distance from the bar, or do we need to go in and ask if kids are allowed?

Mar 12th, 2001, 03:34 AM
sylvia

It depends on the pub. Children under a certain age are not allowed in the bar, but they will be allowed in the part where you eat. In our local there is a sign "no children past this point". Your chidren are of an age where they won't run around being a nuisance so there shouldn't be a problem in most pubs.
To be quite sure, look for a pub which advertises itself as "family friendly", there will be a sign to that effect.

Mar 12th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Linda

Many pubs have "lounge" areas, separate from the main bar area. Generally, families are welcome to sit in this area for their "pub grub", even if the kids aren't allowed in the pub itself. I've taken my kids into the lounge in many pubs and had no problems or strange looks.

Mar 12th, 2001, 01:57 PM
mwg

My family just returned from England and, apart from the seperate rooms and lounges, some pubs in isolated areas didn't seem to pay much attention to the rules at all. My son wanted to watch a soccer game on the TV in the bar area in one pub and no one said a word and there were several children.

Mar 12th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Annie

If you're not sure, just ask the barman.

Mar 12th, 2001, 02:35 PM
Ann

The Uk licensing laws are quite complex. There are different types of license as the following extract explains.

Since January 1995 (earlier in Scotland), Licensing Justices in England and Wales may grant Children's Certificates to permit accompanied children under 14 to enter the bar of licensed premises. Licensing Justices must be satisfied that the bar area for which application is being made is a suitable environment for children under 14 to be present. Children's certificates are normally operational until 9pm but the Justices can specify earlier or later times.

As of 30 June 1998, 5.5 per cent of licensed premises in England and Wales had been granted children's certificates (just over 4,000 out of a total of over 77,600 pubs etc.) As only a small number of applications for children's certificates are refused, the explanation of this small proportion of pubs with certificates is, presumably, that the large majority of licensees have not applied for certificates.

So it is best to ask and don't be offended if you are not allowed in. However if there is a restaurant area, it may be all right and also some pubs have "family rooms".

Mar 13th, 2001, 03:41 AM
Shelley

Thanks to everyone for the info. The kids have heard so much about English pubs that they are almost as excited as the adults to visit them. We will ask and hope they get in!

Mar 13th, 2001, 07:48 PM
betx

Ann, do the rules you refer to mean a child 14 or over is not a problem in any pub? Thanks for clarifying in advance. Also is 21 the legal age for drinking alcoholic beverages ?

Mar 14th, 2001, 03:02 AM
kate

Children over 14 are allowed in pubs if accompanied by an adult (someone over 18), but they are not allowed to buy any drinks at the bar.

The legal age for drinking is 18 (I think only the US has such a high legal drinking age of 21), although in restaurants people 16 and over are allowed to drink with food.

As already stated, many pubs with separate lounge or dining areas are quite relaxed about children under 14 as long as they are well behaved. Some pubs have gardens and children of any age are allowed in these.

Mar 14th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Richard

In most pubs I've been in, as long as you can reach high enough to place money on the bar, you'll get served.

Mar 14th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Ann

Children aged 16 and over may buy and consume, with a meal, beer or cider but not spirits.
Other than that, no person under 18 can buy alcohol in licensed premises, nor have alcohol bought for them by anyone else.
Children may drink but not buy alcohol in licensed premises provided they are eating a meal and it is bought by an accompanying adult.
Young people aged about 18-21 are well advised to carry with them some form of identification which will prove their age if they are likely to be visiting a pub without parents.
I'm no expert, apart from having two sons so I've been concerned about these matters for a few years!

Mar 22nd, 2001, 12:48 PM
Ann

To the top

Mar 22nd, 2001, 03:08 PM
Kevin

I have never in my life seen anyone asked for identification at a pub. And I never had a problem getting a drink from the age of 15.

Mar 22nd, 2001, 04:37 PM
B.DT

I'm glad you let kids into pubs in the UK. Every month in the small town I live when I drive past the tavern row I see a mom or dad bringing out chips and sodas to the kids waiting out in the car.

Jan 24th, 2002, 11:02 PM
ttt

ttt

Jan 25th, 2002, 05:59 AM
harv

I am so disappointed to learn that people are taking young children into the pubs. I thought I might have finally found the last bastion of adult only activity and a place where I could be certain of eating and imbibing without kids around. Dang! I guess I'll have to try strip clubs and topless joints next, although I'm sure today's parents will take their darlings there as well without batting an eye.

Jan 25th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Tom

Harv, I think you are being sarcastic, but I have actually seen this. A guy with a toddler.