Reload this Page >

Taking gifts to Italy- ? Chocolate

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Cincia

We are going to Italy and would like to take something "American" to our hosts.<BR>We were thinking of Sees candy, but I am not sure if that would be okay on the airplane.<BR>Any thoughts?<BR>Thanks.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:55 PM
xxx

You should have no problem carrying See's Candy on to the plane.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 11:38 PM

Why would you give someone a box of nasty imitation chocolates? much less a european who is used to much better quality chocolate, ever hear of Perugina?, they are some of the finest chocolates ever made and they are made in Italy. Maybe a nice bottle of american wine would be a better choice...

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 11:40 PM
Hiho

I suggest a pareau for each of your hosts. Although very "in" in Europe this summer, I understand they are in short supply in Rome, Florence, and Naples.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Janda

I would bring something that is from your area. I am from Seattle, so i would bring a bottle of our local wine, maybe some Seattle Best Coffee, or some smoked salmon. Even though Italy has wonderful wine and coffee it would fun to let them sample ours.<BR>Have a fun trip.<BR> Janda

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:02 AM
world

How 'bout a Korean-made soccer ball?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:21 AM
mari

i will be traveling to italy in a few<BR>days and will meet some of my relatives<BR>for the first time. i will take American Silver Dollars and American Proof Sets. i will also take an american gold piece for a special cousin<BR>of mine. american coins are very nice<BR>gifts and nice keepsakes.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:23 AM
mari

i wanted to add that i was going to <BR>take some locally made chocolate with<BR>me but thought it would be silly as<BR>their chocolate, in my opinion, is<BR>far superior!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:42 AM
ohoh

My daughter's German penpals LOVED the silly bubblegum treats we have in 7/11s and other convenience stores all over the US -- like the bubblegum "tape" strips, SuperBlowPops, grape flavored BubbleYum, all that goofy stuff. (ouch. makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it.)

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Faina

Cincia, I don't think any food items would be appreciated in Europe as none of American food including chocolate can compete in taste and quality with European. <BR><BR>My son said 3-D mouse pads with SF views were wonderful gifts for his German friends but they are teenagers and use computers. <BR><BR>You are right, something American is the best gift, but not food please!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 10:31 AM
xxxx

we were told that European kids (and probably adults, too) love M&Ms candy.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 10:55 AM
xxx

I just returned from Italy and had the same dilema. Every food item is far superior in Italy. I had the added problem of never having met my hosts. Someone suggested that Italian children love American pancakes with maple syrup but I did not heed this advice and wish I did! Maple syrup is in demand. They also love large lavish bouquets of flowers. If you live in Texas bring a cowboy hat. California, beach towels from the Beverly Hills Hotel.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Laura

Check for threads on this topic, there have been some great suggestions. Coffeetable books or small picture books about your home are, and, in the wake of 9-11, NYC, are often an interesting choice. A little heavy to lug over, but you won't be bringing them back. Life magazine has some collector photo compilations that were softcover but interesting. Even a regional cookbook, like the Junior Leaque of New Orleans' beautiful cookbook might be a nice hostess gift. I brought Lake Champlain chocolates in an interesting little box, and my hosts in Radda were very gracious about accepting what everyone on this board feels are inferior chocolates...(is there such thing as bad chocolate? Snobs..)<BR>-

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Dawn

Picture books are nice. Regional cookbooks are nice if the people you're giving them to speak and read English. My father-in-law fell in love with margaritas when visiting us, so I bring the components for him to make his own. On our last trip at Easter we brought, easter candies, marshmallow chicks, jelly beans for the kids. My husband's family loves things from NY, so when we went up to visit my family, I went down to Chinatown/Little Italy and bought an assortment of t-shirts, they're cheap and I look for the ones that are Hanes. Plus, mugs, shot glasses etc. Many of the t-shirts have things on them commemorating 9/11, and they loved those. In fact a few people have given us an order for my husband to bring with him in August. For my husband's sister, and aunts I got each of them a pin for their coat or jacket. All seemed quite pleased.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:32 AM
US Food Blows

What a bunch of snobs. I'm starting to regret I bought tickets to go to Europe and enjoy what she has to offer, to learn about her culture, languages, and history, but I am afraid all I'll find is a group of close minded snobs.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 12:41 PM
NestlesMakesThe

123: Did you know that Perugina chocolate is owned by N-e-s-t-l-e-s. The quality is not what it used to be.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 04:29 PM
jj

just received a request from a cousin<BR>in italy for a photograph of the<BR>world trade center/ny skyline.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Cincia

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I was thinking See's because it is local, I know some ladies that used to make it. I think it is as good as European, and at least in the past See's wouldn't sell any place were the chocolate would not be fresh.<BR>Wine is good, I live in the Napa valley so that it sort of a no-brainer. <BR>We are going to take some pins since we ride Vespas and joined the club in Florence, we'll take pins from San Francisco.<BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 04:54 PM
KT

Cincia, if it's any help I have given See's to several visiting European friends, even Belgians, who seemed more than willing to keep eating it. I'm a huge chocolate fan, and while See's is sweeter and lighter than my favorites and I wouldn't put it in the same league as a good Belgian chocolate, it is definitely not a "nasty imitation" chocolate, as somebody said above. Go for it.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Denise

Cincia,<BR><BR>I think Sees chocolates are a good idea, but I just want to add that the person who said pancakes and maple syrup is correct. My daughter lived in Italy last year and the chef at her 4 star restaurant asked if we could send her Costco sized Bisquick and maple syrup. It is highly prized over there.<BR><BR>Denise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -