Search

Switzerland - Zurich, Lucerne, Lugano, Ascona, Bellagio

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland - Zurich, Lucerne, Lugano, Ascona, Bellagio

Hello,
looking to a book a week-long trip to Switzerland (flying into Zurich). I have been to Geneva previously, but not at all familiar with the rest of the country. We are in our late 20's-early 30s. I am thinking of doing 3 days in Zurich, 1 day in Lucerne & 3 days in Lugano/Ascona. Is this a good itinerary?
How do we get around the Lugano area without a car? Are there buses/trains/ferries between Ascona/Lugano/Bellagio. Which of the towns should we stay in? We would love to have an option of swimming in the lake.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

SS
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:39 AM

Hi SShprints,

Sure, your itinerary is pretty good. However, aside from the single day in Luzern (which isn't right in the mountains), you aren't going near any high peaks. Is there a reason why? It would seem a shame to be in Switzerland and not spend more time in the high peaks, a mountain village, etc.

You may want to do something like this --

Fly into Zürich and spend one or two nights in Luzern.

Go to the Engadin Valley in the eastern part of the country, centering in the Upper Engadin around St. Moritz/Sils/Pontresina, and stay for 3/4 nights. Then go on the Bernina Express over the Bernina Pass to Tirano and Milan and then to Lugano.

An alternate plan (and one very familiar to lots of English-speakers) would be to go fly into Zürich, spend one or two nights in Luzern. Then go to the Jungfrau area for 3/4 nights and then continue onward to Lugano.

You can reserach these places at the Swiss tourist site,

www.myswitzerland.com

Good luck!

s
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

are you suggesting we not spend any time in Zurich? I thought it was a beautiful and fun city to spend a few days in. Is this not the case?
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:37 AM

I would forget Zurich--start in Luzern and give it at least 2 nites. Then, to Lugano and on to Menaggio on the west shore of Como and ferry to Bellagio. Spend your last nite in Zurich--that will give you a feel.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:38 AM

Hi again,

Yes, it is a beautiful city -- as cities go. Europe is filled with beautiful cities.

But the Alps are something else entirely.

Just mo. But while in Switzerland, I would sure spend the bulk of my time in the Swiss Alps.

s
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

I have been to Bellagio a few years ago and LOVED it..which is why I want to spend 3 days in the south Swiss region..with a possible day trip to Bellagio/Menaggio.

How is Mt Pilatus? Thats doable for a day trip from Lucerne. I'd rather not make an additional stop over with only 7 days. Can I take a day trip from either Zurich or Lucerne to the Alps?

Is this better?

Day 1/2 - Zurich
Day 3/4 - Lucerne/Mt Pilatus
Day 5/6/7 - Lugano/Ascona/Bellagio

I have the 2 days in Lucerne and can theoratically venture out farther than Pilatus...St Moritz just feels so much farther
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:17 AM

Yes, Luzern is nearby some mountains -- Rigi, Pilatus, and Titlis. Information here:

www.rigi.ch
www.titlis.ch
www.pilatus.ch

But again, I would spend the BULK of my time in the mountains, not simply a few days. I'm not saying to take time away from your first love of the Italian Lakes but rther from Zürich (sorry, Zürich lovers).

s
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

I literaly have about a day and a half in Zurich, as we arrive mid-day on July 1. Our flight back is July 8 midday...so that leaves is with 6 full days. 3 days I def want to spend in the south lake region..so that leaves me with 3 days for other regions. What if switch Lucerne for St Moritz?
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Day 1/2/3 - Lucerne/Mt. Pilatus
Day 4/5/6/7 - Lugano/Bellagio

It takes 2.30 hrs to get from Lucerne to Lugano by train
It takes 2 hrs to get from Lugano to Ascona by train and bus (from Locarno)
It takes 1 hour from Lugano to Menaggio by bus. You need to take the ferry from Menaggio to Bellagio.

I'm afraid your underestimating the time it takes to get around Switzerland.

I would cross off Ascona from your list unless you leave about 6 hours for it.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM

No, with only three days, it makes no sense to spend a whole day in a detour even though it's through great landscape.

Luzern is only an hour from the airport by direct (0 changes) train, so it's really convenient to go there upon arrival. I would just go to Luzern for three days, as there is plenty to do. More information

www.luzern.org
the city's tourist site

www.lakelucerne.ch
information on lake cruises, etc

Then you can see Zürich when you leave, as bobthenav suggests above.

s
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

ok so the trip had to be cut down slightly to accomodate another traveler. We also decided to rent a car. I booked the tix and this is the tentaive plan:
July 3-arrive to Zurich at 1pm..rent the car, spend the rest of the day in the city.
July 4/5 - Lucerne/Mt Pilatus
July 6/7 - Lugano area
July 8 - catch the midday flight back to NY from Zurich.

It's not a lot of days..so we're hopping to just make it a small Swiss roadtrip. Any detours we can take for beautiful scenary that isnt very far away?
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd put the time in Zurich at the end. Head to Luzern immediately after arriving in Switzerland. Return to Zurich on July 7th and explore the city that afternoon/night. I wouldn't rent a car. Too little time for detours, and the places listed are all easily served by train, boat or other public trans.
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good itinerary. You really don't need to rent a car unless you'd like to include some mountain passes in your driving or have the possibility to drive to Menaggio.

There might be some traffic jams before the Gotthard tunnel on July 6 so if you're travelling by car, be prepared to go over the Gotthard, not through it. Don't worry. It's an easy drive with wide roads. It's a great mountain pass for "beginners."
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

I imagine that would be more problematic to get from Lugano to Bellagio by train/ferry, no? Also, with a car, it seems much easier to just get up and go (not spending time to get to/from the train station). I am necessarily for or against renting a car..just figured it would be easier.
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know what you had hoped to see in the Lugano area, but for general sightseeing along the lake you don't need a car. Some sights would be harder (or take longer) to get to by car than by ferry.

Lugano to Bellagio without a car is easy. No trains involved. It's a one-hour bus ride to Menaggio and a very short walk to the ferry dock. If you keep the car, you'd want to park it in Menaggio (where and how much?). Taking the car all the way to Bellagio would be too much trouble.
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

We are also considering to the drive via the Simplon Pass..can this be done without a car?
What other towns in Ticino or Lombardi is worth the visit?
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 12:54 AM

Not sure if you are still planning, or if you are already gone, but in Switzerland you need to rent a car to make the most of the country. Especially if you want to travel around the full area.

If you do not have a car then you will be more or less limited to the major arteries served by the trains.

I would suggest that you make Zurich your base as it has the best flight connections and trains to all points in CH (as you have already been to Genf it would be a good change to see the German speaking part). You can see the north of the country (Stein Am Rhein, Appenzeller, and schaffhausen) all without a car (although it would be easier with one).

You can take a day trip from Zurich to Titlis, or other excursions. Depending on what strikes your fancy you can also check out Interlaken. There are very good connections from Zurich to Interlaken and there is lots to do.

If you want to head to Tessin (lugano, locarno, or Ascona) you must have a car, yes it is possible to do it without, but then you won't be able to drive over the Alps from Zurich to Tessin, and you won't be able to take in the sights. In the Zurich area a car can be a bit of a pain, but in the south it is a necessity.

If you stick to only the train you can take a look at the official train site to get an idea of the time needed from point to point.

I will give you a bit of warning though (assuming you come from the US), the trains are expensive in Switzerland. As a tourist you can buy special tickets, or buy cheaper tickets in the US. For example a round trip second class full price ticket from Zurich to Genf will cost 180 pp (if the return is longer than 24hrs after departure) Zurich to Genf is only 3 hrs on the train.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm

The SBB does offer special deals from time to time.
http://sparbillette.sbb.ch/home/default.asp?lang=4
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:11 AM

I have to disagree 100% with surfpowder's post above. We've made many trips to the Ticino and never with a car. And of course you can take in the sights! A lake cruise, walking around the villages of Morcote-Gandria, riding the funiculars up to the peaks around Lugano--you don't need a car for any of those! And for crying out loud, surfpowder, the OP will be spending only two days or so in Lugano.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:13 AM

FWIW, the train ride from Luzern to Lugano is pretty and you DO get to see mountains along the way.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 01:21 AM

Passerine you've taken the words out of my mouth. I have been go to Switzerland for many years I don't drive, so the trains, buses and boats are my only means of transport. I have managed to get to some very pretty small villages, if the train doen't go there then a bus will. The Swiss don't all have cars and their public transport is about the best in world. OK it takes a bit longer sometimes but what the heck I'm on holiday so what does time matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -