Switzerland with High School students

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:08 AM
don

Switzerland with High School students

I will be staying in the Berner Oberland region for 2 nights with 20(mature, well behaved) High School students. Considering either Grindelwald or Wengen- Any suggestions on which would be better, and any hotel recomendations? I've seen several posts on this region, but few re travelling with students. Thanks.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Ingo

Grindelwald is probably the better choice. More nightlife, more young people to meet. Wengen is quite a dead place for High School students.<BR><BR>Please give us a price range for the hotels.<BR><BR>Ingo

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:32 PM
don

I know Wengen is more laid back, but have heard the scenery/ views there are spectacular. Am not familar with prices- Is it possible to stay under $100/night. Thanks.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 12:37 AM
MH

FYI: it is legal to purchase marijuana in switzerland, it is referred to as a sniffing bag. It is not legal to walk down the street smoking the stuff. Iwas in Basel two weeks ago and notice several shops that had large marijuana leaf advertisements out in front. Since you will be with a large number of teens it is probably good to know this information just in case...Rick Steves travel board discusses this in length. Have fun...

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 12:44 AM
x

and if you are a teacher who encourages or tolerates that behavior you will find yourself out of a job at the minimum

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 03:22 AM
don

To MH- I was going to look into that but now I don't need to, thanks for your input and I will take your advice and check out Rick Steeves. To x: With that kind of comment I can see why you didn't put your real name! Gee, you mean I can't let students smoke pot. And gee, it might jeopardize my job. Tell me something "o great x"- Of all the teachers in the nation, what percent do you really think "tolerate" this behavior??!!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 03:31 AM
MH

DT-glad I could help I am a social worker for the military and live in Germany. I travel extensively on weekends and it is amazing the things you notice on a roadtrip!!! as for the other poster, crawl back under your rock!!!!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 03:59 AM
Casual Observer

Sumpin' tells me dat dis thread has done did gone down troll boulevard.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Andre

Don- Great response to x! How I admire teachers like yourself who travel with students and open up a whole new world to them. Sorry I can't help more on price. I stayed in Grindelwald for 3 nights and I believe the hotel rates there might be a little cheaper than Wengen- although you are right, Wengen is gorgeous. Have fun and hope those students realize how lucky they are!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 07:27 AM
chris

I think that High School students would get a real kick out of staying in a car-free mountain village that they have to access by train and/or cable car, especially if they're from somewhere far from mountains. Have you considered a group accomodation chalet or hostel instead of a hotel? You could consider a number of possible mountain lodges, for example right at the Kleine Scheidegg http://www.bahnhof-scheidegg.ch/, or in Gimmelwald http://www.gimmelwald-news.ch/english/stay/hostel.html or at First http://home.sunrise.ch/donpedro/page2.html<BR><BR>Check out other options at http://www.wengen-muerren.ch and www.grindelwald.ch

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 08:34 PM
4HLeader

Don, I am very interested in hearing how you planned this trip as this is something that I would like to do. Are you going to any other countries? How are you traveling? Were you able to get cheap airfare? How? Just any details you would be willing to share to assist me. How far ahead did you start planning? If just going to Switzerland, is this group a special interest class? How many adults per how many students? Thanks.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 03:44 AM
don

To 4H leader: This will be my 4th trip to Europe with students. We are going next April,03. I started planning the itinerary last month. I will have a meeting around the end of April. If possible, I like to have everyone signed up and deposits in before school is out in June. It is an 11 day tour, arrival in Paris, and going to Switzerland, Venice, Salzburg, and Munich- where we will leave back for US. It's quite an "active" itinerary. I'm taking a total of 20-25 people. Mostly students,10-12th graders, only about 4 adults. I am VERY selective!! Once I made the mistake of taking a group of 48- never again- Too many people and too many adults! Personally I have found that students are much easier to travel with than adults. If you would like more info or wish to discuss this further, I will be happy to email you.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 07:01 AM
4Hleader

Thank you, Don, for your offer to send me information. The kids I work with don't have much money and I am, therefore, looking to do<BR>things as inexpensively as possible. I travel with kids to conferences, camp, and ski trips so have some experience with groups of kids. I totally agree with you on the adult comment!<BR><BR>I am especially interested to learn if you are able to obtain discount airfare.<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Luc

Don- I think Chris has a good point in that students might like a mountain village like Wengen or Murren. It's not that time consuming to travel to Grindelwald for more "activity". Bravo to you and other educators who travel with students. They will certainly look back on that trip as a highlight of their High School years.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 07:25 PM
julie

Had the most breathtaking experiences of my life on the day my husband and I toured the Schilthorn and then onto the Eiger.....the train stopped at in Wengen...what an absolutely breathtaking experience...I can't remember the namce of the hotel that faces the train and the mntns....but the views would be spectacular...then, a few minutes later,"To the Top of the World"...and the hotel there (where "The Eiger Sanction") was filmed...couldn't go wrong for a night there..Literally, ON TOP OF THE WORLD....You can also stay on top of the Schilthorn as well...James Bondish....Best wishes

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 10:57 PM
chris

To clarify, Julie must mean she stopped in Muerren on the way to Schilthorn (or Wengen on the way to the top of the Jungfraujoch) as of course the Schilthorn and Eiger are seperated by the Latuerbrunnen Valley and Kleine Scheidegg.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Orangesun

That hotel in Kleine Scheidegg that faces the Eiger is the Hotel Bellevue. That hotel was featured in the Cint Eastwood movie, "The Eiger Sanction"<BR><BR>"Lunatic fringe, we know that you're out there"<BR>Red Rider<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Mike

Don- I am also a teacher who has travelled with students and couldn't agree more with your statement re adults on student trips. Once I had a group of 30, with 14 adults. Problems arise when there are adults who are not accustomed to interacting with students. Unless you do some serious "screening" it's difficult mixing the two. I always "stress" the fact that these tours are designed for students. I also agree with the previous posts re staying in a mountain village- Wengen,Murren etc. Have a great trip!