Switzerland with 3 and 5 year olds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and his family are heading to Europe in September, landing in Geneva and hoping to spend several days in the Alps before going to France. Any suggestions for young children in this area. They are thinking of Murren and the Jungfrau, for some walking and mountain tripping. Any help will be appreciated.(They are very open to eating good foods and the 5 year old loves to explore and take pictures,while the younger child is enthralled with trains, boats, and anything that goes.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 01:23 PM

If you have the time you might consider a rail trip over to Montreux and the Chillon "castle" which the children might enjoy. Approaching by water on one of the lake steamers can be fun, too.

From Montreux you might also consider taking the rack (cog) railway trip up to Rochers de Naye which is spectacular in and of itself not to mention the views over Lac Leman once you arrive at the top. The only difficulty might be cloud cover up above which can totally obscure the views.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 01:40 PM

With the Swiss Railpass, worth it for your plans IMO your two kids get a free Family Pass to match the pass the adults buy

and the kids never pay a dime for anything - even expensive gondolas in the Jungfrau area that the Swiss Pass gives a 50% discount on - anytime you buy a 50% off ticket they get a free ticket to match what you buy

Family Pass a great deal for families and Swiss Pass a great deal for Geneva- Jungfrau area - Geneva.
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PalenQ:

Careful with that word "never." I could list quite a few local places where my kids have to pay even though they own a junior card. I've been told Engadin doesn't work with these fares closely either and has its own system.

However, BO and the major attractions work with the Swiss Passes and therefore tourists rarely run into a problem.
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:46 AM

Schuler - have noted never is not never. thanks

I assume the Family Pass with a Swiss Pass has benefits identical to a junior card.
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM

We were in Switzerland a few years ago with a five and six year old. They enjoyed the day trip we took from Interlaken via train and cable car to the Schilthorn. They liked eating at the resolving restaurant and then the trip back.

I would also recommend the transportation museum in Luzern - enjoyable for adults and children.

Have a good trip.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:10 AM

We took our 6yo and 3yo to a chocolate tour in Interlaken (can't remember the name but a big one along High Street). Also seeing farm animals, cable cars, cheese factory tour (we stayed near Gruyere) were bit hits.