Switzerland Train/Car

Search

Switzerland Train/Car

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2019, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland Train/Car

My husband and I will be departing for Switzerland shortly and I am most grateful for the advice from many on this forum. Our hotels are set and we are excited. We will fly in and out of Zurich. Upon landing in Zurich, we depart immediately by train for Zermatt - 2 nights
Montreux - 3 nights
Gstaad - 2 nights (not a popular choice, but I just want to go there)
Wengen - 3 nights
Lucern - 2 nights
Zurich - 2 nights

The one aspect of our trip that it is still not decided is do we do the entire trip by train. Gstaad to Wengen seems to be the challenging part of that trip by train and would love advice - go by train or pick up rental car in Gstaad and drop it in Lucern? Also - if we utilize the train the entire trip, do we need to book exact times ahead of time.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 03:48 PM

>>> Gstaad to Wengen seems to be the challenging part of that trip by train
Unless you are heavy packers, what about this trip is challenging? Swiss trains are on time, and they give just enough time to switch the trains seemlessly.
Also, you are not allowed to drive into Wengen. You have to park in Laterbrunnen and take a train to Wengen.
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 04:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wengen is car-free, and there is no road to the town. You would park in Lauterbrunnen and take the train from there. Depending on your plans, it's likely the car would sit in the Lauterbrunnen parking lot until you leave for Luzern. IMO, you might as well take the train from Gstaad to Wengen to Luzern.

I'd want a slower-paced trip with fewer destinations (you have 6 hotels over 14 nights), but it's your trip... Unless the departing flight is super-early, I would drop Zurich, add one night to Luzern and the other somewhere else.
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 04:54 PM
kja

As already noted, Wengen is car-free.

Beyond that, I must say that you couldn't pay me to drive in Switzerland, at least not for the itinerary you are planning -- I would want to be free to see each and every bit of that stunning scenery, and no matter how good the roads, a driver can't safely do that.
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 09:32 PM

Hi KimiG,

Like others who posted above, I would (and usually do!) take the train. It us really an easy trip -- the transfers are engineered to go smoothly and seamlessly, as many folks will be on the exact same journey with Wengen as the destination

If you want to make the trip super easy, you can do two things --

1. You can schedule your train trip with longer time to make the connection. While going through the booking process, click on "advanced search," and scroll down. You'll see the option to use standard, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, or 30 minutes transfer time. So you may feel comfortable if you have more time to get oriented and find the new track for each change.

2. You can send your luggage separately on the train, for a fee. It's a decent price, 12 chf per bag, and this is a very worthwhile expense, at least to me. The problem is that it will take a day and a half to arrive. A former acquaintance of mine used the service as a kind of rolling closet, where she would sent her cases to where she would be in a few days. The SBB used to offer same-day service, which was amazing, but they don't seem to do that now. At any rate, you could send a large bag to Wengen from Montreux, and only carry what you'll need for 2 days in a small bag to Gstaad. That will make all those transfers very easy to do. (I use the service all the time, even from my home in Germany. It's very secure. It's worth a mint to be able to travel practically carefree.) You can find it under the "Stations and Services" tab on the SBB website.

Hope you enjoy the planning and will enjoy Switzerland!

s
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 05:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to agree with the sentiments of others above re the train. I wonder if the OP has ever actually TAKEN a train anywhere which is more and more the case for non-Europeans. I would also advise that packing light will be a tremendous help and yes, I realize that some laundry may have to be done but a lot depends on the clothing you take as to how easily done it can be. Enjoy Switzerland and bring your money
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 07:23 AM
twk

You should take the train. Period.

The transit system is one of the things to see in Switzerland, right behind the nature attractions. Historically, the train system is what transformed Switzerland from a poor, isolated country of impoverished farmers to the country that it is today. It's not simply a means to get somewhere--it's an important part of the Switzerland story.

You don't need to buy tickets in advance. In fact, you may want to look into buying a Swiss transport pass that would give you a lot of flexibility during your stay (these passes cover all forms of transport--trains, buses, boats--except for some high mountain lifts and trains, where they still give you a discount).