Switzerland - Italy 2 1/2 weeks June 2014

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a 2 1/2 week trip planned in 5 weeks mid June to Bernese Oberland, Wengen - 5 days
Lugano 3 days
Tuscany 3 days
Amalfi Coast - Sorrento 5 days
Would love anyone's advice in planning some activities in BO area - Wengen and surrounding areas. I have 16 year old twin boys that will be traveling with us.
We also plan to see Lake Como, Lake Maggiore and are staying in Lugano.
We were thinking of a day trip to Zermatt from BO since we have 5 full days there.
Any advice on private trains that need pre-booking would be great and activities in the Lakes region.
We have been to Amalfi coast and Capri before but only on day trips. Someone has suggested visiting Ischia? I welcome any restaurants one can recommend too, especially in BO area! Thank you so much!!
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:16 AM

You have 5 full days there or 5 nights and only 4 full days there?

A visit to Ballenberg might interest you all. It needs a half day to really see it all.
http://ballenberg.ch/en/Welcome

A trip up to Jungfraujoch is probably on the cards. Be aware that there is no use going up if there is cloud cover. The thing to do is check with the Tourist Office in the morning for the weather report at the top and when you get a good day, go ahead and go up. Otherwise do something else that day like going on a hike or visiting Ballenberg. You cannot pre-plan on which day you will go up.
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:29 AM

Visit Zermatt - Gornergrat between Wengen and Lugano:
Wengen dp 7.03 - Zermatt ar 10.13
Zermatt dp 18.13 - Lugano ar 23.28
The train ride Zermatt - Domodossola - Locarno - Lugano is very scenic. End June, it will get dark around 22.00.
http://www.ticino.ch/en/
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:18 AM

If in Switzerland 8 days and doing the day trip from NO to Zermatt - which would be very pricey with regular tickets strongly look at an 8-consecutive-day Swiss Saver Pass, alid in full up to Wengen from Interlaken and to Grindelwald also and gives 50% off on most aerial gondolas and trains to mountain tops. Fullt valid to Murren from Laugterbrunnen in case doing the Schilthorn, which it gives 50% off on.

For lots of great info on Swiss trains and passes, etc I always spotlight these IMO fine sources: www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.ricksteves.com.
Old May 7th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! We have five full days including the day we arrive which is early am. So yes 4 full days. Was planning one day jungfraujoch, one day Grindelwald other two up air? We are stopping in Lucerne on the way to Lugano for a few hours.
Would you not recommend a day trip to Zermatt? I believe we are taking the Swiss saver Family pass.
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:14 AM

I have done a day trip from Interlaken to Zermatt in the days before the new Lotschberg Tunnel was opened a few years back and with the new tunnel you save about an hour each way so it makes a long day trip somewhat shorter.

From Wengen about 40 mins to Interlaken
20 mins to Spiez, on mainline to Visp - about 30 min

Visp to Zermatt I think is about 75 minutes but all that time on trains is very scenic.

Get a weather report to see if the Matterhorn is in full view that day before setting out and if it is go for it - fickle mountain more than a few days is shoruded in fog, clouds or mists but weather forecasts are ubiquitous in this area.
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:21 AM

other two up air>

I think one of the sweetest things to do in the Interlaken area is to take a boat ride on either of the two lakes bookending Interlaken - Lake Thun or Lake Brienz - make a whole day of it, getting off to explore things near boat docks.

Lake Thun:
https://www.google.com/search?q=lake...=1600&bih=1075

Lake Brienz:
https://www.google.com/search?q=lake...=1600&bih=1075
Old May 8th, 2014, 06:55 AM

If you choose to take a ride on Lake Brienz, consider a stop for lunch at the Grand Hotel Giessbach which has its own dock and little funicular to take you up to the hotel. Of course it is even better if you stay at the hotel.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...h_DSC06246.jpg
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:00 AM

Should have added, the ferry can then be taken to Brienz and a bus from there to Ballenberg. That would take up a whole day quite nicely.
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:37 AM

It's easy:
you can either
make a day trip from Wengen to Lucerne (3 hrs OW) and travel from Wengen via Zermatt - Simplon - Centovalli - Locarno to Lugano
or
make a day trip from Wengen to Zermatt (3 1/4 hrs OW) and travel from Wengen via Lucerne - Fluelen to Lugano.
All covered by Swiss Pass.
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:30 AM

Should have added, the ferry can then be taken to Brienz and a bus from there to Ballenberg.>

with a Swiss Pass make sure that if you do this delicious day trip by boat on Lake Brienz and go to Ballenberg use a 100% covered day on your pass if a flexipass - as it covers entry to Ballenberg in full - about a $25 p.p. value - but on a non-100% covered day you get no discount.
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:57 AM

http://ballenberg.ch/en/Welcome

for something different from hiking and Alpine peaks!
Old May 29th, 2014, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Does anyone know if we need to purchase our tickets to the jungfrau in advance. I am finding that many of the private trains are selling out. We leave mid june
Old May 29th, 2014, 05:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>I am finding that many of the private trains are selling out<<<

What do you mean by private trains? There aren't many private trains.
Old May 29th, 2014, 06:20 AM

Jungfrau trains are never sold out. If there are too many people for 1 train, the company just add a second one.
Never book such a trip in advance: it would be a complete nonsense to go to Jungfraujoch if the weather is very bad: thick fog, rainfall, snow storm, accompanied by temperatures below 0 degrees centigrade (30F), etc.
Old May 29th, 2014, 10:57 AM

What do you mean by private trains? There aren't many private trains.>

The term 'private trains' in Switzerland is often used to denote non Swiss Federal Railways trains - I have often seen the term used - but erroneously as these 'private' railways are inveitably owned and run by local governments - so private trains would mean to some the trains in the Jungfrau Region above Interlaken and lots of mountain climbing trains.
Old May 29th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

I was under the impression the seats were reserved by the swiss rail not Rail Europe that is what I meant by "private trains" The trains from Interlocken to Wengen I thought those were run the same way? I saw there was an open voucher one can purchase but it does not include a reserved seat. I know that I tried to book a train from Interlocken to Lucerne and it was sold out two days in a row that is why I have started to worry that it is very crowded and things are filling up.
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:18 AM

Interlaken - Brunig - Lucerne:
Swiss people NEVER book in advance, most of them use these trains for short legs only, like Brienz - Meiringen or Giswil - Brunig and they always find free seats.
Old May 30th, 2014, 05:41 AM

I know that I tried to book a train from Interlocken to Lucerne and it was sold out two days in a row that is why I have started to worry that it is very crowded and things are filling up.>

Well did you see this info - like neckervd says and IME of zillions of such Swiss train rides those trains never sell out - even if all seats are full you can still climb on and rarely would you not find an empty seat - and as people get on and off all the time you would always get a seat - yes few Swiss bother with reservations.
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants in Wengen and surrounding BO area and also Lugano.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -