Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Switzerland - Help with two possible Itineraries.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Switzerland in late May, 2009. Althought, I've been to Switzerland before I don't remember things too well and I am treating this trip as my first. I have two possible itineraries planned and I am debating between the two. I will be travelling from Zurich to Milan and I welcome any comments on these two itineraries. I'm trying to deceide which to do.

ITINERARY #1:-

Day 1

Arrive Zurich, overnight Zurich
Day 2

Zurich to Lucern, Lucern sightseeing (not the Lion Monument since I do remember this), maybe excrusion to Pilatus or Titlis or Rigi, depending on weather.
Day 3

Lucern to Interlaken. Visit towns nearby or stroll around Interlaken for the remainder of the day.

Day 4

Day trip to Jungfrau or somewhere else depending on weather conditions at Jungfrau.

Day 5

Day trip to Jungfrau if not done on day 4, or a day trip to some of the Villages nearby.

Day 6

Interlaken to Zermatt. Maybe do an excrusion to Gorgergrat.

Day 7

Zermatt to Milan, via Brig.

Day 8

Depart Milan

ITINERARY #2

Day 1 to Day 6

Same as above.

Day 7

Zermatt to Chur by the Glacier Express.

Day 8

Chur to Milan by the Bernina Express, connect in Tirano for Milan

Day 9

Depart Milan.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 09:06 AM

TTT
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 07:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Just 2 suggestions... from the airport I'd go to Lucerne and add a day in the Berner Oberland or Zermatt. Instead of staying in Interlaken, I'd suggest a village IN the mountains... Wengen, Muerren, etc.

Sorry this didn't answer your post on on helping to decide two possible itineraries.

Oh, we loved the Gornergrat trip in Zermatt! Take it to the top and then walk part of the way back. It's an easy walk with fantastic views of the Matterhorn. Then catch the train back to Zermatt (there are one or two middle stops to catch the train again).

Paul

Paul
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, pja1.

I should have mentioned the only reason why I have two full days in Interlaken is because I'd like to visit Jungfrau and I am hoping for good weather at least on one day to go to the top of Jungfrau.

I know that I only have overnight in Zermatt, so I'm hoping for good weather to see the Matterhorn.

I'm not sure if I leave Interlaken on day 6, assuming Jungfrau is done on day 5, if I'd be able to book an extra night at my hotel in Zermatt.

At this point in time, I'm concerned about hotel availability, and train availability for the Glacier Express and Bernina Express if I choose this option. This oppourtunity to visit Switzerland quite unexpectedly and I am planning/organizing this at the last minute.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 05:28 AM

aww i was about to suggest a look at the lion monument - my favourite!
but if you havent been to the old town wall - thats a nice walk
head towards to the railway station along the lakes shore and then ask for directions
good photo opportunities
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
- Go directly to Lucerne. It's a short distancy by train away. (see: sbb.ch)
- I like Itinerary 1 much better. There's too much long train travel in Itinerary 2.