Reload this Page >

Switzerland from MXP for 5 nights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:34 AM
xxx

I may have the opportunity to take a round trip flight from the US to Milan MXP, to and from in a week. I need to spend the last night near the airport, so that only leaves 5 nights. Can someone recommend a worthwhile itinerary for a first visit to Switzerland, or is there not enough time? I will be relying on public transport and enjoy visiting small villages and perhaps some hiking. If this is not recommended be honest, I can always stay in Italy, but I've been there many times. Thanks!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Rex

I urge you to visit www.twenj.net before you make any plans to go to Switzerland. Read the words of a man who truly loved the country, and especially its Bernese Oberland.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:05 AM
bettyk

Others will probably have different suggestions, but you could travel from Milan to Lake Como (Como or Bellagio) and then to St. Moritz. Or you could travel to Stresa on Lake Maggiore and then on to Locarno. Either should provide you with some very nice scenery for several days.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:05 AM
s

xxx,<BR><BR>Well sure, of course it's worthwhile, but you may end up making some compromises. For instance, because you're relying on public transportation and have limited time, you may have to stay in a larger town with better rail connections rather than the small villages that you prefer. <BR><BR>I would also suggest you limit your stay to one area and really get to know it in some depth. I'm assuming you want to get beyond the Italian part of Switzerland (Lugano, Locarno, & Ascona) because of your previous trips to Italy??? Anyway, because this would be your first visit to Switzerland, I can suggest these options:<BR><BR>Milan to Luzern by rail 4.13 hours (0 changes) to 4.16 hours (one change). In Luzern, you can explore the old town, take ferry rides, hike around the lake, and take excursions to Mt. Rigi & Mt. Pilatus.<BR><BR>Milan to Thun by rail 3.30 hours (0 changes). You can explore Interlaken, Wengen, Muerren & Grindelwald; take excursions to the Jungfrau & the Schilthorn, hike around the lakes, and take ferry rides.<BR><BR>Milan to Montreux by rail 3.28 hours (with 0 changes). Montreux is in the French section, so here you'll miss the typical German/chalet ambiance that you may think of as Swiss. But this offers a warmer climate, some vineyard walks, ferry rides on the lake, and excursions to Rochers de Naye, Chateau d'Oex, Gruyeres, & Gstaad.<BR><BR>Milan to Zermatt by rail 4.33 hours (2 changes). In Zermatt, you can spend every day hiking in the mountains.<BR><BR>These are all off the top of my head, so I don't have much specific info. If any of these sound right to you, do a text search here for more detailed info. Swiss rail scheduling info is at www.rail.ch.<BR><BR>Feel free to e-mail me.<BR><BR>s

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:41 PM
ttt

to the top<BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 02:37 PM
xxx

Awesome, thanks for the responses : )<BR>Switzerland definitely sounds doable. Will print out these responses and dive into my trip planning! Grazie!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Ed, watching you all down there

Enjoy.<BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Tom

Hi Ed.<BR><BR>Is it a holiday up there today? Or a solemn day?<BR><BR>Is it as good as Switzerland, or the San Juan mountains?<BR><BR>Any particular correspondence with Rome this weekend? I know you love Rome too.<BR><BR>Say hello to the big guy from all of us down here.<BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 04:47 AM
jw

Hi. Of s's suggestions, I think I'd take the Thun destination and stay on its lovely small lake. From there (if you are a fan of day-trips), you can visit Bern and Lucerne and the laketowns of Thunersee and Brienzersee, and the the mountain villages of the Oberland. I'm trying to put myself in the place of a first-time visitor to Switzerland. Otherwise, I would try to combine Ticino and the Engadine somehow. J.