Switzerland Fly Rail Baggage

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland Fly Rail Baggage

My family is flying from London Gatwick to Geneva on Easy Jet and then taking a train to Grindelwald on Wednesday. I just remembered about the service where you can check your bags at the airport and they will be transferred all the way to your destination station by train so you don't have to carry them yourself. We are travelling with 2 small children and think this is the way to go but I am concerned that it is too late to order the service.

I looked on the Swiss travel website and they have links to other services but do not say how to do this. I know RailEurope sells tags for your bags but I can't get these from RailEurope to London at this late date.

Does anyone know how I can use this service without going through RailEurope and if you think I can arrange it at Gatwick before my flight?

Alternatively, can I check the bags at the rail station airport and reasonably expect them to arrive same day to Grindelwald?

Thanks.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 01:34 PM
JN

Sbb's latest policy is that, if you check your luggage before 7pm, it will be delivered to any staffed station within 48 hours. Unless you're ok with collecting your luggage before two days after arrival, I guess this won't work.

I know what you mean about trying to figure out the system. As with many of the Swiss (and other country's) websites, determining how a service is to be accessed is often baffling. Anyone ever heard the term "Task Analysis"? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 01:36 PM
JN

Oops, I meant to type:

"Unless you're ok with not collecting your luggage until two days after arrival,...."
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 02:52 PM

Hi where2,

There's also "Fast Baggage" that will deliver your bags the same day (check them before 9am and delivery will be after 6pm) for 20 chf. Here's the information:

http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/...isegepaeck.htm

You merely go to the luggage service at the airport's train station and send it; it's just called "Fast Baggage." No need to arrange ahead of time.

Have fun!

s
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:29 AM
JN

Swandav
Thanks for posting that link. I thought there was a faster option, but couldn't find it on the Sbb site. The isssue for Where2, of course, will be whether they get to Geneva before 9am.

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We will be arriving just before 11 a.m. but I am hoping to go to the baggage desk at the train station and see if they can do it anyway. Even if not, I will use the transfer service to get from Grindelwald to Zermatt and again on the return. What a help when you have several transfers!

By the way, I tried to call EasyJet to see if they know how to get the transfer set up before flying. They don't even have a phone #. I guess that's why the flights are so cheap.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 08:06 AM

Happy to help! Hope it works out, where2!!

s