Notices

Switzerland: First time, help!

Old Oct 15th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Switzerland: First time, help!

Hi! I found a cheap flight into Geneva from Alicante (where I currently live). I have heard Geneva isnt the greatest city to visit in Switzerland. I would love some advice on great, non-touristy, "typical" Swiss towns to visit. Iĺl be traveling with my boyfriend, and we wont be skiing (unfortunately) so weŕe looking for something on the romantic side. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 06:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try Central Switzerland, Luzern Lake area. We stayed at Weggis and had a wonderful time seeing lots of places. Depending on the numbers of days you may have and mode of local transportation, you can move around a lot.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. As yildy writes, Lucerne and its lake are spectacular and romantic. But there are nice towns not far from Geneve. You'll need to tell us when you'll be going and for how long -- we can contribute better if you do. Geneve's Lac Leman is lovely, and it has many lovely lakeside towns. J.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 09:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the towns of Vevey and Montreux. They can be easily reached by train directly from the Geneva airport in about 1 hour. These are on Lac Leman not up in the mountains (as far as whether you would consider them typically Swiss) and very beautiful.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input so far! I will be in Switzerland in early December, arriving Friday afternoon and leaving Monday afternoon...so not a very long time, I know. The person I'm going with did a little research and fell in love with Wengen. I know it's something like a four-hour haul from Geneva, but we're young and would definitely be willing to do it if it's worth it. What do you think?
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The train station is right at the Geneva airport, so if that's where you want to go most I don't see a problem.

I don't know about schedules to Wengen but assuming you can catch a train soon after arrival on Friday, you'd have all weekend there, returning for your afternoon flight out on Monday.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 03:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. I know what it's like to be infatuated with a destination, but you might want to consider a closer mountain town, Chateau d'Oex, on the route between Montreux and the Oberland. You can visit Gstaad from there as well as the Lac Leman towns. J.