Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Switzerland, Austria and Germany itinerary - HELP!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 1998, 08:00 PM
Chris

I'm planning my first trip to Europe in April 1999 and have a tentative itinerary - please tell me what you think!! <BR>Day 1 - Fly into Brussels to meet my friend at noon, take 10 pm overnight train to Interlaken, Switzerland <BR>Day 2 & 3 - 2 days/nights in Interlaken/Berner Oberland area, including the Jungfrau excursion <BR>Day 4 - morning train to Lucerne for the day, take 9 pm overnight train to Salzburg <BR>Day 5 & 6 - 2 days/nights in Salzburg, including, "The Sound of Music Tour" <BR>Day 7 - Morning train to Munich spend day and night, including 1/2 day trip to Dacchau <BR>Day 8 - Pick up car rental, drive to Fussen/Garmisch area, spend day and night there, including Neuschwanstein or Linderhof <BR>Day 9 - drive to Rothenberg, spend day and night there, including, "Nightwatchman's Tour" <BR>Day 10 & 11 - drive to Rhine River area, spend 2 days/nights in Town of St. Goar or Bacharach, including river cruise and tour of Rheinfels castle <BR>Day 12 - Fly home out of Frankfurt <BR>Is this itinerary reasonable? Have I alloted good enough time frames for each area for doing the highlights? And, what, if anything would you change? Be honest, I can take it!! Thanks in advance for your help. This forum has been much more informative than any travel agent could possibly be!! <BR>

Old Oct 10th, 1998, 02:49 PM
Stefan

I am a Swiss student and live near Basel. I don't know the places you want to visit in Austria and Germany very well, but I certainly do know quite a lot about Switzerland. I have only a very general ramark: I think your itinerary looks very 'packed'. Do you really want to see all of these places? I know by doing a transatlantic trip one tries do as much as possible but this isn't always the best thing to do. (But if you like to 'rush' (it isn't too bad) I think your itinerary is possible) One detail: I don't think there is a direct night train form Lucerne to Salzburg. <BR>Besides, there are quite a lot of other nice spots in Switzerland, like Lausanne, Berne, Geneva, Basel and there are other nice places in the alps, i'm thinking of the Canton of the Grisons or the Valais. But anyway, the Jungfraujoch is really a fantastic place to go (though very expensive...). <BR>If I can help you with any questions regarding Switzerland plese do email me. It would be a pleasure to answer your mail. <BR>Stefan. <BR>

Old Oct 10th, 1998, 03:00 PM
Joanne

Chris, <BR>My husband, 13 yearold daughter and I flew to Frankfurt this past June to begin a 3 week trip into Germany and Austria (with 3 days in Prague!). We did our trip with the help of a woman who lived in Germany for 8 years, married to a military guy. She had some awesome suggestions. We basically told her where we wanted to go; she e-mailed her comments with suggestions. Then she came up with a day-by-day itinerary, including driving times and directions. There is a very reasonable fee for her service and what you get is a notebook with the itinerary, numerous ideas in each town of where to stay and what to see, how to pack, what to expect. We lived with that notebook but still felt free to venture out on our own. We had no reservations except for the first night and the last (which we changed because we wanted more time in the last city!) Her e-mail address is [email protected]. I have a print out of her website but cant remember the name of it. It doesnt cost anything to check it out! (Her rate is $50 for one week, $80 for two weeks, $105 for three weeks). <BR>Regardless, the next best thing, and a MUST DO is get a really good road map at an airport bookstore. A good one is ADAC (German Auto club) in the scale of 1:200,000 (a 1/4 inch equals one mile of road!) Driving the autobahn was a snap; just keep to the right after you pass or theyll run right over or under you. They are very good drivers and understand the speed they are going and respect it! <BR>Im sure she can help you. <BR>Joanny

Old Oct 10th, 1998, 03:18 PM
Patricia

Chris- My husband and I did 10 days in Austria last April (great time to be in Austria- before the rates go up and before all the crowds, but after the bad weather), and I think your schedule sounds very ambitious. We did Vienna, Linz, Salzburg, and Innsbruck and were sorry that we couldn't spend more time in each place. Anyway... Salzburg is just THE BEST! Make sure that you spend your time walking in the old city- do the castle, St. Peter's (don't overlook the graveyard- it's awesome), Mozart's house, etc. but be sure to WALK the streets of the old city- especially the open market with the flower and food vendors- HEAVEN! As far as Neuschwanstein or Linderhof are concerned- we saw both- hubby liked Neuschwanstein the best, I loved Linderhof- we drove from Innsbruck and it took about 2 hours to Newschwanstein (then give yourself at least 4 hours there by the time you catch the buggy up to the castle and wait for a tour to start, etc.- the tour itself is only about 45 minutes and you can't go in without taking the tour). The ride to Linderhof is another hour, but easy. Linderhof also requires a guided tour but is worth it! Hope this helps.... remember... SALZBURG IS THE BEST <BR>

Old Oct 10th, 1998, 07:46 PM
Chris

Thanks, fellow travelers - you and this forum are so awesome!! I anticipated your feedback about our `ambitious' itinerary. Never having been to Europe (but dreaming for a LONG time), I'm trying to get as much in as is feasibly possible without overdoing it - I'm walking a fine line! I also don't seriously anticipate returning for a VERY long time! Anyway, thanks so much for your posts and keep `em coming, I need your insights.

Old Oct 11th, 1998, 06:45 AM
mustang81

<BR>Chris: I know it's hard to resist doing the world-wind thing on your first trip, I think most of us used that approach . But by cutting out some of your destinations you will actually see more. <BR>RE Joanne's suggest for "Pat"...her web site is http://members.aol.com/patbee/. Thank you Joanne. I emailed her for an itineray for my trip.

Old Oct 12th, 1998, 07:51 AM
gina

Chris--2 days in the Bacharach/St. Goar area is way too much and you won't get any sleep because the towns are built along the railroad tracks. I agree with abors--There are other more interesting places. I would take a river trip en St. Goar and Bacharach, take the train back down, and continue on to Heidelberg. Have a wonderful time! <BR>

Old Oct 12th, 1998, 07:57 AM
gina

Wow! My above message was really chopped up! What I wrote was, take the little milk train that runs along the Rhine to Bacharach. Take the boat back up the river to St. Goar. That way you will see all the best castles. If you don't feel like seeing Heidelberg, then stay an extra day in the Jungfrau region--I passionately recommend Wengen.Looks like this message may get chopped up too. <BR>

Old Oct 12th, 1998, 01:22 PM
bill toliver

Spend only one day in Saltzburg- its small and you can cover it in a day. Spend more time in Munich- a world class city where you could spend 3-4 days and not see everything.

Old Oct 12th, 1998, 04:04 PM
Linda

Between Salzburg & Munich, stop at Berchtsgaten (spelling?), which was Hitler's Eagle's Nest. Very scenic.

Old Oct 14th, 1998, 02:21 PM
Chris

Thanks everyone for your insights! I really appreciate your voices of experience. I welcome anymore input - we're starting to fine-tune our itinerary now, so any bits and pieces of advice, lodging suggestions, etc. would be great! <BR>

Old Oct 16th, 1998, 01:21 PM
Martin

I just got back from Germany and Austria a little over a week ago. Instead of the Rhine River, you may wish to try the Mosel (not too far away) as it's a little quieter, lots of nice vineyards and prettier (but with a few less castles). Burg Eltz was great (though be sure to park in one of the close lots--otherwise you'll seemingly walk forever). <BR> <BR>I agree with the other comment to only spend one day in Salzburg. It's odd how some seem to love the place and others are not so impressed---I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. I much preferred the countryside around Salzburg and Reutte much more than the cities (Hallstatt was gorgeous). If you do go to Salzburg and like beer, try Augustiner as well as Stiegl's wheat beer.

Old Oct 16th, 1998, 02:15 PM
gina

Chris, in Salzburg stay at the Hotel Trumer Stube (or something like that). Extremely nice and helpful owners, close to everything, clean, safe, quiet. In the Berner Oberland, stay at the Hotel Alpenrose in Wengen. Glorious. In Rothenburg try the Hotel Goldener Rose. Really nice, easy walk to all, great food. <BR>I'll be you are having a lot of fun planning. Hope your trip is fabulous. <BR>

Old Oct 17th, 1998, 08:12 AM
Bob

Salzburg: When you are facing Mazart's house, turn around. There will be a very tiny bar, restaurant behind you. Nice place for a drink or food. Hotels: Buy the Karen Brown series on small hotels. Good recommendations. I agree with the rest that you are covering a lot of ground. Good luck on that. You can stay in Berchtesgaden, Germany and make a very easy drive to Salzburg. Hitler's Eagles Nest, Lake Koerniseee electric boats and general scenery very beautiful in Berchtesgaden. Dachau is a downer. Will put you in a sad mood for the rest of the day after the visit. Be prepared. <BR>