Reload this Page >

Switzerland, Ausria & Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Lizzy

We are heading to Geneva for a convention in<BR>July 2003, will extend visit for 2 weeks. Would like to see parts of Austria and Italy. Need advice on travel in<BR>between countries, which cities to visit, budget accomodations, food....<BR><BR>Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 08:43 AM
dan

You may really like Lake Como in Northern Italy. Bellagio is a neat little town to visit..

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Greg

Lizzy,<BR><BR>There are so many things to see and experience in those three countries I wouldn't know where to start. It all depends on what you like to do. This forum will have thousands of ideas if you do a search. I like &quot;visiteurope.com&quot; as a comprehesive Website for research. The most important thing you should keep in mind is that it is vacation time for most Europeans, so plan ahead. Make reservations and plan on crowds. Have a good trip.<BR><BR>Greg<BR>

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 05:18 AM
jw

What I want to know is why teachers don't have conventions in Geneve? You don't have to reply; I already know the answer.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:16 AM
ttt

topping for Lizzy

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:00 AM
Steve James

Lizzie - Will you have a car or will you be using public transport? You could plan a scenic itinerary to include any from:<BR><BR>Valle d'Aosta<BR>Lake Como, Lake Maggiore or Garda<BR>Dolomites<BR>Austrian Tyrol<BR>Bernese Oberland <BR><BR>Or are you more interested in cities? If so, which ones? <BR><BR>Steve <BR><BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 05:40 AM
xxx

From Geneva, you can easily get to the Tessin (Italian) area of Switzerland - includes Lugano/Locarno area - and then on to Milan by train as well. For Austria, you'd better make a 2nd week devoted to eastern Switzerland (the &quot;Grison&quot; or Graubunden), and then Austria. You can also access Austria/Tirol from Italy...

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 04:40 AM
jw

A quick comment to redeem myself after my previous useless post. <BR><BR>I no longer try to fit three countries into one trip because the Eurrail Pass breaks my bank and I'm a train person. However, If I were planning such an itinerary as a sampler, I'd consider going from Geneva to Lucerne, then to Salzburg, then Venice, and back to one of the Italian lakes before departing from Milan's airport perhaps. (3 nights each maybe, with an extra one added to the lakes at the end to relax).<BR><BR>This outline is intended to keep this thread going for you, because there are thousands of possible answers to your quest. If, for example, you prefer villages to cities as I do, or if you prefer to rent a car instead of training, or if you'd rather not spend time moving such distances (although there's probably a good nighttrain for the Salzburg/Venice leg) well . . . . Let us know and continue to keep us posted as you plan. It really sounds like a dandy trip. You've given travel lovers a great thread at which to happily haggle. J.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 06:56 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hmmm ! Two weeks, July, the Alps, budget travel. Infinite possibilities, but let me assume train travel and an open jaw flight itinerary. Here is a start for you to consider and for others to critique:<BR>Berner Oberland--stay in Grindelwald[3]<BR>Luzern [2]<BR>Lugano--day trip to Como[3]<BR>Verona--day trip to Venice [2]<BR>Salzburg--bus tour of Lakes region[3]<BR>Munich--last nite--fly home from here<BR><BR>This itinerary follows the best and fastest train routes. Again, this is just a start to play with--there are a dozen good options. Good luck !