Search

Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2013, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland

I'll be coming up to Switzerland via Milan (saw the views from the train are amazing so it's not a 'waste' of the travel time, that's good news) but I'll be getting there(somewhere to be determined in Switz) probably by evening time, explore the city during the evening, eat find my hostel and that would be day 1.

Day 2 I'd like to take a day trip (from my base city) to Jungfraujoch, spend the evening again visiting (unfortunate that I won't get more day time to visit cities, but it must still be quite beautiful during the evening?
(Should I base myself in Interlaken?) If the weather is terrible and not worth the trip up my backup plan could be another day trip somewhere else (Bern?).

Day 3 Visit a city all day (Bern or Zurich??)

I'm leaving from Zurich airport to get back home (I'll try to get my flight as late in the evening as possible... say 9pm or smt so I get the day.

Basically I want to see the alps and a bit of the great cities in Switzerland... get a taste for it as it were.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 02:01 PM

Jungfraujoch takes a entire day, really, to see. You could do two different mountain trips in that time.

Do not go up into the mountains if it is a bad weather day. You or your hotel can check on TV in the AM to see which peaks are clear. Or you could check on-line.

Extra day - If bad weather in the Alps I would recommend cruising on Lake Geneva. Lovely towns along the lake front and medieval Chateau du Chillon.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

I might base myself in Grindelwald and if I can get a clear morning-day pay that $massive$ ticket to go up jungfrau but I'll leave that as a Plan A and have a solid plan B in the more likely case of clouds.

Or I could base myself in Lucerne and say 'to heck with going up the top' and enjoy the hikes there...
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 05:57 AM

May be you don't realize that the Milan - Interlaken train line passes close to the highest peaks of Switzerland: Milan - Brig - Visp - Spiez - Berne - Zurich ZRH.
From Brig resp. Visp it's just 1 hr OW to Zermatt/Matterhorn (highest mountains of Switzerland) or to Bettmerhorn/Aletsch Glacier (longest glacier of Europe)And these railways are way cheaper than the Jungfrau railway.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the more I research the more it seems a better use of my time to just enjoy the views from the train to my trip up there on the first day (perhaps even take a detour and spend that whole day in trains admiring and site-seeing and I'll get great views regardless of the weather! Then I'll have two days to spend somewhere like Lucerne, having rested my legs on the train the day before I'll shake it up by doing some hiking there, lakes, trails etc. Then off to Zurich Airport on the final evening. Sound like a well-rounded plan?