Search

Swiss Trains Stopped!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swiss Trains Stopped!

Hi All,

My Swiss friend called me today to tell me that all the trains in Switzerland had stopped mysteriously. I found this item on the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/busi...Shutdown.html?

Apparently a power outage is to blame.

Now I guess the sky will fall . . .

s
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are running again. Over 100,000 people were affected. It took them almost four hours to get the trains running again.

I drove home last evening and saw trains stopped and people looking out the windows, trying to figure out what's going on. They used buses to get the passengers to their destinations.

It was quite a mess and something that rarely happens here.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Add a little experience to the posting.

just spent 13 nights in Switzerland...one more than planned due to another problem encountered with Swiss Rail...Our trip was perfect until last 15 minutes on the way to the airport.

We bought 15 day pass, used on buses, rail and boats...outstanding service and timeliness until a fire in the train station electrical service in Zurich on way to the airport...Chaos ensude as all announcements were made in German, no english translations...

Bottom liine is we missed the flight to home by 5 minutes on our version of the amazing race. Swiss Rail had another faux pas...uneard of! United Airlines then proved why they are on the verge of bankruptcy with poor service and condencending attitude...tried to sell us a $2500 one way business class ticket to get us out the next day...told us there were no other flights available.

Went to Swiss Rail Travel and then immediately rebooked us on a flight that United said did not exist...however, had to buy new tickets at less than 1/2 of what United offered. Swiss Rail then filled out reimbursement rwequests for refunds and put us in a hotel for the night...

Amtrack and United ought to take a lead from Swiss Rail on how to run a business and rectify problems!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Hey 612boudou,

I'm enjoying your posts today -- sounds like you had a good trip (up to the last minute!). Yes, it's strange that the Swiss Rail had two such bad days, but I'm glad they took good care of you. I also bet they're making sure these kinds of problems won't occur again -- or at least not for another 100 years!

Do you plan to post a trip report? Pictures? We'd love to take a vicarious trip w/you!

s
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 12:48 PM

I'll post a longer message about the trip when I catch up on the 500 e-mails at the office.

Bottom line...unbelievable trip...packed backpacks...one night reservation at the Rosenlaui out side of Meringen and we winged it from there...2 nights Kanderstag...3 nights Zermatt...2 nights Ascona...2 nights Lucerne...9 days of hiking an average of 10 - 15 miles per day...600 photos to cull through...

We did not have a bad experience exceptthe last moment...all part of the experience though