Swiss Trains

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 09:43 PM
Jim

Swiss Trains

Have a friend arriving Zurich at 455PM on a Sunday. Need to catch a train to Merigen. Anyone have any helpful experience? Any know how I can find a swiss train schedule on internet? I understand that things pretty well stop in Switzerlnd on Sundays. How about trains? any help appreciated. Jim

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 09:51 PM
travelman

The best site IMHO is www.bahn.hafas.de
very good info,click on english in upper rt.side.You can try www.obb.ch also.Last but not least things DO NOT stop on sundays .Good luck.Travelman

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 12:49 AM
Ursula

Jim:
You can see detailled schedules at the Swiss Federal Railways site at
www.sbb.ch
Trip Zurich Airport-Meiringen takes some 2 h 40 min.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 04:54 AM
Ed

Best entry to the Swiss rail server for English speakers is www.rail.ch

Train service is almost the same on weekends as weekdays except for commuter runs.

The server is likely to find most close misspellings, but just in case, the town your friend is going to is Meiringen. All trips will require a change in Luzern for the last leg over the Brunig Pass, a lovely, scenic trip for the most part. Some of the services will require a change in downtown Zürich, some not. Connections are easy in Switzerland, though, and schedules quite reliable. The 6:05 is probably the train your friend will want to take. No need for reservations.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 05:49 AM
Bob Brown

Meiringen can be reached via Luzern or Bern. The Luzern route is shorter time wise by 55 minutes.
Although the Bern route passes through Thun, Spiez, and Interlaken, the Luzern route also has a high level of scenic value, particularly as you pass Sarnen and descend the Brünig Pass.

There is a change of trains in Luzern.
I would be tempted to get out and have a look around.