Swiss Pass or Half fare card

May 20th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Swiss Pass or Half fare card

Hi,

I am a bit confused on pass to buy for my stay in Switzerland in July. We fly from Nice to Geneva on 18th July and our itinerary is a s follows
18 July- Geneva
19July - Interlaken
20July - Interlaken
21July - Interlaken
22July - Lucerne
23 July - Lucerne

We plan to take the train on 24 July to go to Venice.

I was wondering if I should buy a Swiss pass for our 6 day stay in Switzerland or go for swiss half fare card

In terms of Swiss Pass as well, should i go for 4 day pass or 8 day pass or possibly the swiss 6 day flexi pass.
May 20th, 2011, 06:00 AM

will you be taking many daytrips while in Luzern and/or Interlaken?
You'll have to sit down and do the math calculations to see which is the best fit.
I went last Spring and used point-to-point tickets (check sbb.ch for fares), but went last Fall and stayed put in one city, taking numerous day-trips, so a Half-fare card was the better bargain then....
May 20th, 2011, 08:40 AM

I have to agree with mokka4, if you do the maths remember to add in the convenience factor. The Swiss Pass covers you for travel on public transport in both Geneva and Lucerne and on the boats in both cities, and now I believe the round trip up Rigi, also Lucerne and of course on both lakes near Interlaken, and the Museum at Ballenberg. I like the Pass because it allows me to change my mind once I'm on a train, I know my fare is paid. if your staying in Interlaken remember to ask your hotel for the Gastecart, which will cover you on the local buses, usful if you don't want to walk from Interlaken West station to Interlaken Ost station.
May 20th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your suggestions.I am leaning towards the swiss pass just to have the convenience of not worrying about buying tickets at evry point.
May 20th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

sorry have another question...can the swiss pass be bought when we arrive in Geneva or is it better to buy it in advance here.
May 21st, 2011, 08:28 AM

Yes I believe it can. I would suggest buying it on your arrival at Geneva Airport. You may like to double check on the Swiss Rail website www.sbb.ch look for the little box top right hand side of the screen which says International Visitors.