Reload this Page >

Swiss Itinerary Advice Needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Tina

My family and I are visiting Switzerland for the first time. We are planning to travel in May for 9 nights. So far, the plan is 2 nights-Zermatt; 3 nights-Interlaken; 3 nights-Weggis (Lake Lucerne). Can anyone tell me if this is too much, just right, etc. Also, has anyone ever stayed in Weggis before? Thanks for your help.<BR><BR>Tina

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Bob Brown

My answer depends on what you expect out of 3 days in Interlaken. Three hours was enough for me, except to change trains for Lauterbrunnen, and pick up my rental car, or drop it off.<BR>Interlaken is between two lakes that are scenic. Thun and Spiez are scenic towns to the west and slightly north. But the main range of the Berner Oberland cannot be seen very well from Interlaken. So you will need to go elsewhere south to get in good mountain viewing, like Grindelwald, Murren, and Wengen - Kleine Scheidegg.<BR>The A1 attractions to me are:<BR>(1)The gondola ride from Grindelwald to First, which puts your eyes at risk on a clear day. (Your eyes might pop out.)<BR>(2) The train ride plus the cable car ride to the top of the M&auml;nnlichen Ridge<BR>(same eye risk)<BR>(3) The ride to the top of the Schilthorn.<BR><BR>If you want to go for broke, and blow the average budget, take the trip to the Jungfraujoch. It is a little pricey, but you will talk about it for a few years to come!! I did it once and loved it.<BR><BR>And if you rent a car, drive at least to the top of the Grimsel Pass. It is spectacular. If you want to really take a ride, drive from Innertkirchen, just east of Interlaken, over the Grimsel, Furka, and Susten Passes. This route will bring you back to Innertkirchen for the return to Interlaken. It is a thrilling drive, but make sure your brakes are in good working order!<BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Bob B.

PS. I could spend more time in Zermatt.<BR>I was there once and saw somethings before the fog socked us in. I would have returned the next day from my apartment in Saas Grund, but it was again foggy, rainy, snowy, and messy.<BR>We could see nothing where we were, so we drove to Sion to see what was there == not much.<BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 02:35 AM
Ingo

Hi Tina,<BR><BR>Hi Tina,<BR><BR>Your itinerary sounds good. 2 nights in Zermatt are enough. In May most of the hotels are closed and the upper hiking trails are still covered by snow. You can do an excursion to the Gornergrat ridge by cog-wheel train – if the weather is fine.<BR><BR>You should stay not in Interlaken but in a small nearby village on Lake Thun – Spiez, Gunten or Oberhofen. IMO Interlaken is too touristy.<BR><BR>Weggis is a good choice. I have never been there, but heard and read good things about it. Perfect for excursions by boat on Lake Lucerne and cable car to the Rigi mountain.<BR><BR>Forget the passes. They are still closed Mid May.<BR><BR>Ingo<BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Clousie

Agree with the comments about not staying in Interlaken. A few hours between trains was enough for us since we were more interested in seeing and being in the mountains.<BR><BR>I can't say what it's like in May, but we really enjoyed Grindlewald and, as Bob mentioned, the gondola to First is eye popping! It's very easy to take trains from there (or I guess anywhere in Switzerland) to other small towns in the area.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Tina

Thank you...I definately will look into Grindelwald. By the way, has anyone done summer skiing in Zermatt? Is it worth the trip just for skiing?

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Ingo

Skiing season in Zermatt ends first week in May and is opened again early July. Sorry, no skiing in May.<BR><BR>In May try Engelberg/Mt. Titlis. You can go there from Weggis via Lucerne. It is worth a day trip, not only for skiing.<BR><BR>Ingo

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 05:44 PM
ingrid

We stayed in Engelberg, halfway up Mt. Titlis, in the Truebseehof. Room was okay but both dinner and breakfast were absolutely great.