Swiss/Italy itinerary

Search

Swiss/Italy itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swiss/Italy itinerary

I am going to a wedding in Crans, Switzerland in July. We are then taking the train to Venice. Would you spend a night in Zermatt on the way? Also,we want to stop for two nights in either Lugano or Lake Como area on our way to Venice. Can anyone tell me which they would choose? I do have three children who are middle school ages and convenience is important. Thank you for your advice!
Patricia

Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 01:50 PM

Hi Patricia,

I assume you mean Crans-s-Sierre, near Montana, in the Valais canton? If so, I wouldn't spend a night in Zermatt from there -- it's so close you can make it a day-trip and save yourself the problems of checking into/out of hotels, and getting the kids settled, etc. If you take the train from Crans to Zermatt, it'll be 2h10 or 2h40 each way, depending on the connections.

Alternately, you could stop off in Zermatt for an hour or so enroute to the Italian Lakes. Driving from Crans to Visp is only 44 miles (1h41), and the continuing train ride on to Zermatt is 1h05 (you cannot drive to Zermatt, as you probably know).

I don't think Zermatt is a *wonderful* mountain village unless you're there to do some hiking. The village itself is small, and you can cover it in a few hours. So I think a few hours is all you'll need to gaze at the Matterhorn and enjoy the village.

From Crans, you have to go through Como even to get to Lugano, so perhaps staying on Lake Como would be more convenient than going on to Lugano.

You can check rail schedules at www.rail.ch, and you can check road directions at www.mappy.com.

There is a *very* convenient train connection from Brig straight to Venice, so if convenience is one of your priorities, you may consider going to Zermatt and then skipping the Italian Lakes.

Hope you get some more specific help!

s
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

S-
Thank you for your advice! We will probably skip Zermatt and train to Lake Como after a nice wekend in Crans Montana. We live in a ski town her in Utah, so we will head on to areas less familiar to us. Thanks again!
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:33 PM

I realize everyone has their opinion and different tastes but I find Swandav's recommendation insane. Spend close to 5 hours roundtrip on a train to spend a few hours in Zermatt is more convenient than checking into a hotel for the night??? I also differ immensely that Zermatt can be enjoyed in a fews hours, its a delightful village one can easily spend a few days. My kids thorougly enjoy Zermatt, albeit older teens, but they want to go back next summer and we plan to spend 4 nights and get an apt rental. I agree on only one issue, the hiking, it is great there from easy to stenuous but it certainly isn't the only thing to do. Recommend the Derby Hotel its reasonably priced and very near the train station (1-2 min walk) and their restaurant is very good.
The lakes region in No. Italy is beautiful, its another one of our favorite areas. Recommend Stresa on Lago Maggiore. The kids will also enjoy Venice. Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned. Enjoy.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:44 PM

Swandav, you're recommendations get even crazier. If you have a car why would you stop in Visp and get the train where you can drive as far as Tasche and get the train there. And in either scenario why would you go through all that to spend only 1 hour in Zermatt????
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I will have to look into this further. The good news is there is so much beauty to see wherever we go!
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:17 AM

I also don't think Zermatt is a *wonderful* mountain village. There are a very few remains of the old village to find around the church and in some hamlets outside in the mountains, but there are much more beautiful villages in Switzerland and also in Valais. Zermatt is overbuilt with modern hotels and apartment blocks.

A day trip from Crans would be the best choice for patricia, but you won't regret to skip Zermatt.

I am assuming Traveller863 uses to drive in Switzerland (which I find insane) because he doesn't know that doing day trips by train in Switzerland is fun - especially for watching the scenery, but also b/c of the convenient and sufficient public transportation network.

Patricia, have you considered Lake Maggiore for your stay between Crans and Venice? I have to agree with Traveller863 that Stresa is right on the route - very convenient. Or Locarno? It is accessible with a stunning train ride from Domodossola through the Centovalli.

Ingo
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:55 AM

I agree that Zermatt can be done in about ONE hour rather than a few. "Apartment blocks"....well, perhaps but it isn't as if it looks like Manhattan, either.

I'm sorry, but there is nothing in Utah which quite compares to the Matterhorn, but I think your plan to go on to the lakes is a good one. One of the best things about Zermatt is the scenery surrounding it and the trip up and back rather than the village itself IMO.

Have a great trip.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:20 AM

Hi Folks,

Well Traveler863, I guess we get to disagree -- at least about Zermatt. I was just underwhelmed with the place: a few blocks of dark wood buildings, then the towering Matterhorn. There is good hiking there, I agree, but otherwise, go elsewhere, as Ingo says.

I also think it's, yes, easier to herd children onto a train for 2h10 than it is to pack & organize children, move them, then unpack & organize them again. If it were simply a couple, I might agree that it's just as easy either way, but with three children -- just leave the luggage in Crans and hop the bus/train.

I do concede that stopping in Visp instead of Tasche wasn't the best option. I simply used what I got from www.mappy.com and was too lazy to hammer it out with the best route. This was before I realized that the op will be taking the trains throughout, so that point is pretty moot.

Now, see how easy it is to disagree without being insulting?

Hi Ingo!

Patricia, I haven't forgotten you -- I have some time today, so I think I'll do some research on your train trip options.

Later --

s
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:11 AM

Hi Patricia,

I tried a bunch of different combinations, so I hope this information will help you see a convenient option --

1. See Zermatt enroute to the Italian Lakes

By train
Crans - Zermatt: 2h49 with changes in Sion & Visp

Then
Zermatt - Lugano: 6h with changes in Brig & Milan
Zermatt - Como: 5h55 with changes in Brig & Milan
Zermatt - Locarno: 4h05 with changes in Brig & Domodossola
Zermatt - Stressa: 2h46, 2h26, or 3h38 with a change in Brig

With this itinerary, you could leave Crans early, have lunch in Zermatt, then get to the lakes for dinner (if you choose Stressa). If you choose Locarno, Lugano or Como, you won't arrive until after dinner, about 7 or 8 pm. I don't think this is a very good idea, unless your kids do well this late at night!

By car
If you decide to rent a car for this portion of your trip, you could drive from Crans to Taesch (76 km, 1h24), take the 15-minute train into Zermatt and have lunch, then continue from Taesch to Como (238 km, 3h03), Locarno (145 km, 2h29), or Stressa (144 km, 2h13). You could keep the car until the day you leave for Venice.

2. If you skip Zermatt and go directly to the lakes:

Crans - Stressa: 3h02 a change in Sion
Or 2h53 with changes in Sierre & Brig
Crans - Locarno: 4h45 with changes in Sion & Domodossola
Crans-Como: 5h11 with changes in Sion & Milan
Crans - Lugano: 6h with changes in Sion & Milan

If you decide to take a quick trip to Zermatt during your weekend, maybe you can borrow another wedding guest's car for the day, drive to Taesch (76 km, 1h24), then take the 15-minute train into Zermatt. Then return the same way.

When you play around with this on your own, use "Crans sur Sierre" for the departure field at www.rail.ch (otherwise, it'll default to the Crans in Vaud). You'll soon see that there is no train to Crans but a bus that links the town to the stations in Sierre or Sion.

To help you decide, you may want to browse the photos of Locarno, Stressa, Lugano, and the Como villages at www.webshots.com.

Let us know if you need more information!

s
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

S and fellow travelers-
Thank you so much! S-You went above and beyond with your research! I think that I will probably skip Zermatt this trip. Although I realize that Utah does not have the most majestic mountains, we have taken some trips to Canada and other surrounding western states to see some amazing mountain views. I will look into some of your suggestions for our stop between Crans and Venice. I know that Lugano had a direct train to Venice, according to a travel guide that I read,which was one of the reasons I chose it. The second reason is that the bride, my future neice by marriage, grew up there. Thanks everyone! This was my first posting and the help is very appreciated!