Swiss Flex pass and half fare pass

Old Sep 14th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swiss Flex pass and half fare pass

Hi, I think that the 3 or 4 day flex pass is best for my itinerary. What I con't figure out is....if you have a 3 or 4 day Flex pass, to be used over about one week, does the half fare pass or card work on the other days that you are not traveling for museums/mountain lifts,etc? Surely it must work the whole week? Help. Sue
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 04:24 PM

I traveled for three days in Switzerland, day trips from Aarau to Zurich, Lucerne, and the Zurich airport. It is expensive (about 21 CHF per ride), but was cheaper than the 3 days pass. The question is: how much time do you plan to spend on public transportation? If you know you itinerary ahead of time, you cn purchase your tickets on-line.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 06:07 PM

Yes the HFC is valid on the other days for 50% non private rail, boat or mountain lifts.
Study the small map of validity that comes with it.
On THOSE days (the HFC days) you will have to purchase tickets before boarding. The automatic ticket machines have an English option and a half-fare option.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 06:10 PM

Not so sure about reduced or free museum entrance though. I always show my pass at the counter and ask. More often you just get a reduction on a 'nonpass-use day'.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

OK thanks, it is rather confusing to figure out the Swiss rail info. Appreciate it. Sue
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

OK I know my itinerary.....Basel to Zurich, and that I will buy with half fare ticket. Flex Swiss Pass ticket for after that... From Zurich we go to Zermatt, for two nights, then to Wengen for two nights, then back to Zurich 2 nights. So I think the 3 day Flex pass with half fare makes sense. Can use also on Lake Zurich, museums, and mountain trams. I won't use the 3 day pass for the Basel to Zurich part, just the half fare. Does that make sense, I think it does, hopefully. Sue
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 12:28 PM

Sue:
Of course, you've already visited the swiss railsite at
www.fahrplan.sbb.ch
Choosing 'en' at top right to price out point2point tickets and prepare your cost comparisons, right?
So, you'll want to use your Flexipass for the most expensive legs, and use the HFC for cheaper trips, as they would be out of pocket.
Basel-->Zurich = 33 CHF
Zurich-->Zermatt = 123 chf
Zermatt-->Wengen = 95.40 chf
Wengen-->Zurich
?airport/Flughafen = 87.40 chf
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 12:56 PM

From your other post, it looks like you will be ascending a mountaintop in Zermatt.
It looks like Matterhorn/Gornergrat and Rothorn trips all give 50% redux with either Swisspass OR HFC.
Wengen to Jungfrau trip is trickier...??25% off with swiss pass & unsure of HFC, doubt 50%.
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 01:16 PM

Just to confirm for Mokk4 the HFC will give you 50% reduction on the Jungfraujoch trip.
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

OK thanks, I think this will work with the boats on Lake Zurich and the Matterhorn/Gornergrat trip, The HFC would be used on the BAsel to Zurich leg....to get just the 3 day flex pass for the 3 longer day trips..... Make sense? mokka, I'll double check this point to point cost, but with the lifts around Wengen and the Matterhorn, and the museums in Zurich....this seems to make sense,right? '

3 day flex pass and half fare card....seems like Rick Steves site might be less expensive, but have to wait until 30 days before I think. Sue
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 03:01 PM

A 3-day flexipass is nearly always a better deal than a 4-day one if you buy the half-off Half-Fare Card deal you can buy in conjunction with it as at half-off whatever you do on the 4th day will probably be cheaper at half off than 100% coverage.

For lots on Swiss trains check www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com (any questions call Byron there - I've various bought passes from him for years and he will take time and answer questions even if not buying IME- if you want some expert to talk to); and yes www.ricksteves.com.

Passes in the U.S. are always sold at the same exact price IME though handling fees and mailing fees can be added on. Prices may vary on sites as they change all the time and may not be updated.
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

OK we actually have one week in Switzerland, but will be traveling on the train only 4 days, one of the four is from BAsel to Zurich and I'll use the half fare pass for that one day, so get the 3 day pass for the other 3 days. We definitely will do the Zermatt/Gornergrat.....not sure about the Jungfraujoch..(has someone done that one?). Where is Rothorn? Zermatt?

Also in Wengen, what are the best day mountain trips to take in and around Wengen, lift/to Grindelwald/Murren?...sounds complicated from the info I have. Sue
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 07:43 PM

Where is Rothorn? Zermatt?

Have you googled them?
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 10:10 AM

Also in Wengen, what are the best day mountain trips to take in and around Wengen, lift/to Grindelwald/Murren?>

The Lauterbrunnen - Grutschalp by cable car - train then to Murren and long cable way to The Schilthorn (Piz Gloria, venue of much of the James Bond movie "On Her Majesty's Secret Service)- back to Murren - cable to Gimmelwald (remote farming hamlet) and then cable down to the Lauterbrunnen Valley at Stechelberg and postal bus to Lauterbrunnen and train to/from Wengen all 100% covered by Swiss Pass except Murren to Schilthorn is 50% off.

And this is a great GREAT day out and EASY to do - all transfers are to an oft waiting train or cable - don't be daunted by it at all. To me the finest excursion in the whole Jungfrau Region, including the Jungfraujoch.

The Schilthorn is a rocky outpost in the middle of proverbial nowhere - ice caves and revolving restaurant - just another world out there.

Gimmelwald is so so neat - little farming village surrounded by awesome vistas and nothing else.

One day you want to use the pass on for sure.
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 02:45 PM

Also in Wengen, what are the best day mountain trips to take in and around Wengen, lift/to Grindelwald>

Well the lift from Wengen to The Mannlichen - outrageously raved about viewpoint over Interlaken wedged so surrealistically far below between the two lake bookending it and the start of the alightly descending Ridge Walk foot path that goes a few miles - very easy and very wide to walk - no special gear required - to Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfraujoch trains that start from there.

You have a full frontal view of the awesome Jungfrau Massif in front of you the whole way and can see down into both the Lauterbrunnen Valley and the Grindelwald Amphitheater too - probably the most popular trail in the area and an easy enough one.
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

OK PalenQ. we will be in Wengen for two days next Summer, and I want to try the day trip you listed above (I've been to Murren before too/loved it, and Schilthorn) and want to take son on this as you listed. However, I am a tad older, with one knee replacment, but in generally good health. We have all our hotel reservations. Son is an adult, who can be of help. i am pretty mobile. think I can do it? I plan too. I wonder how far the lifts/bus/train are from each other? Is there a huge amount of walking in between moving tram/train/bus/ etc.? thanks, I've been wondering about the best way to spend the day in Wengen and will have the Swiss rail flex pass/and half ticket. I've been to Alaska 2 X since the knee replacement and did good. Sue
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 09:09 AM

Sue - are you talking about the Ridge Walk or the Murren Loop -not clear?

will try to answer later if no one else does.
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 01:14 PM

. I wonder how far the lifts/bus/train are from each other?>

For the Ridge Walk you take the gondola from Wengen to Mannlichen and the trail starts right there -it's a fairly flat few miles though slightly ascending (descending?) to Kleine Scheidegg where you can hop on Jungfraujoch trains or trains back to Wengen.

Jungfraujoch trains require very little walking - once you get to the top there is a restaurant/sun terrace building and ice caves but to get the Top of the World Views you just can stay in the main building and go to the sun terrace:

https://www.google.com/search?q=m%C3...HaIXAQsQsAQINA
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

OK Palen Q, I don't think I can do a lot of hiking, but want to do the Wengen/Lauterburr=nnen/gurtschalp cable car/Murren/Schilhorn/Murren Grindelwald/Postal bus/Lauterbrunnen back to Wengen/bus train/cable car as i "think" I can do that. Son will do the hiking,unless quite easy. I think I am asking about the Murren loop/Wengen/Geindelwald etc. I've been up to the shilthorn before. How much walking is there for the loop? Sue
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 12:17 PM

Grindelwald- GIMMELWALD

Well there are a few steps to take:

to the Wengen train station though electric carts can do that

at Lauterbrunnen transfer inside the station to the Grutschalp Cable Car lower station - up top a few steps to the probably waiting train to Murren

Now some walking - a short walk thru town to the Schilthorn and or Gimmelwald cable car

Nearly no walking at Schilthorn though some steps maybe- nice to walk thru ice caves if can

Then hop cable way to Gimmelwald via Murren - may have to change can't remember but virtually no walking if you do.

Gimmelwald is small - a short stroll if you can or if not there is a hotel/restaurant right by the cable station while others poke around

Cable to Stechelberg - bus is out front lower level station

takes you to Lauterbrunnen station.

All in all pretty effortless IME with a stroll thru Murren the only real required walking.

All very very easy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -